• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The problem with Comic Book Men...

92 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out what stake Kevin Smith has in the walking dead show since this is the second time he has appeared on the talking dead wrapup show

Actually, you should be looking at host Chris Hardwick.

He had Paget Brewster on because they were at an event together and she was a big fan.

Kevin Smith was on Chris Hardwick's Nerdist PodCasts.

sounds like I need to open a comic book store in Jersey. In 3 weeks they have had a Tec 35, a Batmobile the owner will let me drive and a super golden age collection walk in the door.

Those situations were set up for the show. The owner had no intention of selling...purely for entertainment. :gossip:

Yeah, it is very obvious.

Can I ask a serious question? Is this what comic book shops are like? Sadly I have never been inside a Comic shop because there are none in my state and the ones in other parts of Australia are way to expensive. It's cheaper and easier to buy things online....

But back to my question:

Are Comic Book Men in the U.S. actually like this?

It was just re-run and ended a few minutes ago and that's the first time

I've seen it and it's boring watching those owners just ramble on about

nothing.

I'm sure that was a set-up to have those GA books come in and couldn't

they at least show decent pictures of the actual books and possibly give

their opinion of the grades and prices. If it was a big set-up to find those

incredible books why would dedicate only five minutes or less of the show

to it?

zzz

Not to mention that these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who have been in the "business" for so long, acted like fools when they saw the GA books. I would think that if you have worked in a comic book store for 10 years as the one knucklehead stated, you would have seen a few old books in your day. I assume they go to a show or two? It was painfully obvious that the owner had no intention of selling. Show is horse squeeze.

Regardless of whether the owner intended to sell or not...the point I was making was you've got a golden opportunity to showcase some of the finest and most important books in the trade...yet you only devote 5 minutes (if that) in your forty minute show?? It's insane to think that people will find more enjoyment and entertainment over seeing a walking peacock and a garage sale junkie make dinky sales vs. seeing real Golden Age books.

FWIW, I had hoped there was going to be a nice segment on the GA books..and yes, I realize it's all staged (like Pawn Stars, etc) but at least Pawn Stars focuses on maybe 4 to 5 items a show, gives some history, brings in "experts" and if they have guns, they'll actually fire them. That's why Pawn Stars is successful, its not just wheelin' and dealin'.

well, of course it's staged. do you think that in the course of a normal week, enough interesting stuff comes in the door to justify a show? all "reality" teevee is scripted to an extent, because there's generally not enough conflict (ie drama) during any given week to justify five minutes of air time, much less half an hour.

while it would indeed be interesting to have a show wherein people brought their books in for discussion by a knowledgeable brace of charming, likable chaps, the presumed audience for such a thing might number in the hundreds. this show is apparently trying to find a way to engage the broadest spectrum of viewers. unfortunately, if the main "characters" don't have the charisma and personality to be interesting when talking about mundane or non-comic stuff, the show's not going to work, and it will seem more and more forced as the producers try to figure a way to make it appealing to the lead-in audience.

the caveat to all the above is that i would rather get my testicles shredded than watch a show about the goings-on in an New Jersey LCS, regardless of who owns it, so you can guess the amount of time i've invested in the subject

Case in point: I got suckered into watching tonight's episode b/c of the short clip of the guy bringing in the All Star 8. Not only did he have that book, he had a Tec 38, WF 1 and several early Sups (11, 13 and 14 I believe). Sadly those were the only books they "showcased" and it was in the last 4 minutes of the show.

Sounds to me like the producers got what they wanted. They got you and lots more to watch the entire show all the way through.

Everytime I open up one of these threads I envision folks reminiscent of the comic book guy on the Simpsons sitting in front of their computers posting their opinion on a forum: "Worst. Show. Ever."

Seriously, if you guys hate the show that much, why do you continue to watch it? You're only feeding the machine that will give it a second season. I watched a show yesterday that talked about the most hated people in Hollywood. Even though they are the most hated, they are still ratings draws because producers know people will watch just to give themselves an excuse to complain.

Seriously - let it go.

sounds like I need to open a comic book store in Jersey. In 3 weeks they have had a Tec 35, a Batmobile the owner will let me drive and a super golden age collection walk in the door.

It's ALL staged.

+1

I watched the first episode and I'm done, period. I actually switch the commercials off now when they run on TV. Show was a disgrace to collectors.

Case in point: I got suckered into watching tonight's episode b/c of the short clip of the guy bringing in the All Star 8. Not only did he have that book, he had a Tec 38, WF 1 and several early Sups (11, 13 and 14 I believe). Sadly those were the only books they "showcased" and it was in the last 4 minutes of the show.

Sounds to me like the producers got what they wanted. They got you and lots more to watch the entire show all the way through.

Everytime I open up one of these threads I envision folks reminiscent of the comic book guy on the Simpsons sitting in front of their computers posting their opinion on a forum: "Worst. Show. Ever."

Seriously, if you guys hate the show that much, why do you continue to watch it? You're only feeding the machine that will give it a second season. I watched a show yesterday that talked about the most hated people in Hollywood. Even though they are the most hated, they are still ratings draws because producers know people will watch just to give themselves an excuse to complain.

Seriously - let it go.

I think people are watching because of a combination of two things. For one they're hoping it will improve because.... two - it's literally the only comic show on television. As a comic book person I feel compelled to watch simply because it's a comic book show. It's not due to some genius format from Kevin Smith. I'm sort of a captive audience (for now) regardless of how bad it sucks because it's still a brand new comic show.

Keep in mind they've only aired a couple of episodes so far, and soon the novelty will wear off and their ratings will plummet. I'm not a fortune teller, but I would be shocked if it makes it to a second season.

I watched the first 3 eps hoping they would eventually delve deeper into comics history/values etc, something like Pawn Stars does, but it doesn't seem like they ever will. I really don't like the 3 that are "running" this store, especially the eye fluttering head guy. Honestly they seem like a bunch of d-bags! I probably won't be watching any more..

One question does arise in my mind tho...does Kevin Smith own any other type of shirt besides a jersey??

The biggest problem with the shows is that the guys are . They are just your typical comic fan boys instead of people running a business. Its really just not that interesting.

Kevin Smith is a complete clown. He is the one guy in this business who has the cash to run a Metropolis style comic business and instead, he has this???????

One question does arise in my mind tho...does Kevin Smith own any other type of shirt besides a jersey??

I am sure he has many alternatives for the ample gentleman. Ponchos, muumuus, capes, jumpsuits, unisheets, muslin body rolls, academic and judicial robes....

It's ALL staged.

Yes, my point is it is extremely obvious

The biggest problem with the shows is that the guys are . They are just your typical comic fan boys instead of people running a business. Its really just not that interesting.

Kevin Smith is a complete clown. He is the one guy in this business who has the cash to run a Metropolis style comic business and instead, he has this???????

I agree

Personally, I find the average comics collector to be above average smart...likely from having an early start in reading as a kid.

These guys are dumb as rocks. The way they talk to customers, their level of humour.

I only watched the show to see the Walking Dead sneak preview and then shut it off. I won't be watching anymore.