• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Prometheus" Thread

1,637 posts in this topic

Guest Grails
Personally, I think there's something to be said for Scott sticking to his guns to make a quality film rather than appeal to the masses for the sake of making a few bucks.

The built in audience part is bang on. There is a following for this stuff dating back over 30 years. The average viewer wants to see a quality flick by a master, not another flick that appeals to teenagers.

Not that there is anything wrong with teen flicks, but it takes a certain type of directing to make a blockbuster for the older crowd that grew up watching Aliens who will appreciate this much more than my teenage kids.

Dead on. As excited as I am to see Dark Knight Rises and Avengers, if I could only see one, it would be Prometheus.

Personally, I think there's something to be said for Scott sticking to his guns to make a quality film rather than appeal to the masses for the sake of making a few bucks.

The built in audience part is bang on. There is a following for this stuff dating back over 30 years. The average viewer wants to see a quality flick by a master, not another flick that appeals to teenagers.

Not that there is anything wrong with teen flicks, but it takes a certain type of directing to make a blockbuster for the older crowd that grew up watching Aliens who will appreciate this much more than my teenage kids.

Dead on. As excited as I am to see Dark Knight Rises and Avengers, if I could only see one, it would be Prometheus.

+1

How can a film get a R-rating for the following:

Sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.

WTF????:screwy:

All they have to do is drop the F-bomb a few times and it'll get the R.

I don't think it will really affect the Box Office too hard. I seriously doubt they think this movie has a chance to win the summer. It will do pretty well, I think, as it has a built-in audience, but it's not going to break any records.

Good point there Roy.

Yeah, I think Ridley is past the point of needing to squeeze a dollar out of a movie. As much he does it for money, I think he's into it for the craft at this point.

(thumbs u

I'm going to brush up on my Aliens history before seeing this one. Lou and I will rent the previous flicks and watch 'em at home.

:popcorn:

Yeah, I think Ridley is past the point of needing to squeeze a dollar out of a movie. As much he does it for money, I think he's into it for the craft at this point.

(thumbs u

I'm going to brush up on my Aliens history before seeing this one. Lou and I will rent the previous flicks and watch 'em at home.

I love the Alien movies,but I wanted Prometheus to get a PG-13 rating.

I don't want the movie to bomb at BO because of a R-rating 2c

(thumbs u

That's just silly. :)

I assure you if a movie like this got a PG-13, it would "bomb" in a different way.

These movies have a primal history in our subconcious as gritty nightmares (some say modern fairy tales also). Taking away that, making them acceptable for Happy Meal toys and a decent opening weekend, isn't gonna make the movie play through our generations in time like the 1979 original.

Jerel who is sad Jones the Cat won't be in this prequel :(

Just because a movie bombs because it couldn't reach it's intended audience doesn't mean a thing. Everyone is ranting how great Robert Downey Jr. is as Iron Man in his career comeback. To me the movie he did a year before IM, "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was his best comeback role to date, that really showcased his unique talent and that movie bombed commercially, because Warner Bros. (surprise surprise) wouldn't get behind it properly. Still a classic to me. :)

If this one tries, even if it's not a commercial success, I'll still love it (Alien 3 though, hm ).

(thumbs u

Can you imagine Alien without the chest burster scene? I kind of doubt that scene would be allowed in a PG-13 movie. I think that the R rating is great news. I'm sure Ridley and 20th Century Fox can survive with the smaller box office that the R rating might bring.

I hope Prometheus doesn't explain too much. A big part of the appeal of the "Space Jockey" in Alien was that we didn't know who or what it was...

Even if it does, the best case scenario is they will make us wonder about a "new" set of questions for the next 30 years. :whee:

I hope Prometheus doesn't explain too much. A big part of the appeal of the "Space Jockey" in Alien was that we didn't know who or what it was...

Even if it does, the best case scenario is they will make us wonder about a "new" set of questions for the next 30 years. :whee:
hm

(thumbs u

Can you imagine Alien without the chest burster scene? I kind of doubt that scene would be allowed in a PG-13 movie. I think that the R rating is great news. I'm sure Ridley and 20th Century Fox can survive with the smaller box office that the R rating might bring.

Good point hm

You have to know they are siting on a director cut and a pg cut to sell to us all on vhs ?

What we realy need is a continuation from the last predator movie ?

You have to know they are siting on a director cut and a pg cut to sell to us all on vhs ?

The last VHS movie (made to sell for that market) was sold in 2005. lol

But, I know what you mean.

Still haven't watched that Predators movie.

I need to rent it on my PS3.

Guest Grails

Its worth watching once. They use the same formula and soundtrack from the original. Watching Adrien Brody rocking that AA-12 shotgun was pretty cool. It was better than the AVP flicks (I know, that's not saying much).

On my VHS copy of that movie, this entire scene was completely worn out so badly that you couldn't see it anymore.

Good times. Good times. :cloud9:

Its worth watching once. They use the same formula and soundtrack from the original. Watching Adrien Brody rocking that AA-12 shotgun was pretty cool. It was better than the AVP flicks (I know, that's not saying much).

That's good to know lol