• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

Different strokes for different folks. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just see nothing special about the art or the image, and I was assuming it was the 'Cap No More" BS that was the reason for its inclusion.

Plus, I'm a big Zeck fan and I could name tons of his Cap covers I prefer to this one, assuming that the "Cap No More" part has absolutely no influence on the decision.

Look at it this way; Does the cover to X-Men #141 seem less appealing to you, considering that the "future past" crepe has been re-hashed to death?

Sure, but the first time it's done is a ground-breaker, but after that it's a hack cliche.

14462577792.139.gif

14462577792.176.gif

Etc., etc., etc.

100 Best Covers #3: Captain America #332 (1987)

I agree that this is a powerful Cap cover, but I don't think it's even one of the three best Cap covers, much less one of the three best covers of all time.

And don't forget, not everyone who bought/saw that issue even knew about the previous times he had "quit". I'm pretty sure they were a lot more concerned with selling issues to people at that time than worrying about whether they were repeating history or not. Sadly, the comic publishers seem more concerned with attracting new readers than they are with making sure their long-time readers are completely happy.

I agree that this is a powerful Cap cover, but I don't think it's even one of the three best Cap covers, much less one of the three best covers of all time.

When I think classic Cap, I always think of the either the Steranko one with the statue/grave marker, 113 I think. Also "Cap Goes Wild!" #106, the epitome of Kirby Cap.

When I think classic Cap, I always think of the either the Steranko one with the statue/grave marker, 113 I think. Also "Cap Goes Wild!" #106, the epitome of Kirby Cap.

My favorite Cap cover is #286. cloud9.gif

I think Captain America 1 (Golden Age) is much better than this so called number 3 of all time.

tongue.gif

And don't forget, not everyone who bought/saw that issue even knew about the previous times he had "quit". I'm pretty sure they were a lot more concerned with selling issues to people at that time than worrying about whether they were repeating history or not. Sadly, the comic publishers seem more concerned with attracting new readers than they are with making sure their long-time readers are completely happy.

Seems the only audience comic book publishers have now days are fewer old term readers and not even new part-time readers. tonofbricks.gif

100 Best Covers #2: Challengers of the Unknown #64 (1968)

d374.jpg

This cover *literally* grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go.

And that's exactly what's about to happen to the four members of the Challengers, in this striking cover by Joe Kubert: death in the hangman's gallows!

Using the noose as a framing device, Kubert gives the reader a sense of impending doom, thanks to the somber expressions on the faces of the four Challengers and the long shadows coming off the gallows. We dunno what the quartet has done to deserve this "Invitation to a Hanging," but Kubert's brilliant cover makes it impossible to ignore.

"Simple, to the point and dramitic," says Adam Kubert, artist on ULTIMATE X-MEN and son of Joe. "Classic Papa Joe!"

The artist, a teacher of the comic book art form for the past 25 years at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Design, gives a more critical assessment of his work.

"At the time I did this cover, I was doing covers for half a dozen different editors that at any one time were requesting me to do covers for them," notes the elder Kubert. "The composition is basically good. If I were doing it again, I think I would have tried to add more emotion to the characters themselves. I would have tried to make it better."

Don't be so hard on yourself, Joe. Your cover certainly makes the grade with us.

The shadows one that cover are all wrong mad.gif

2nd best cover of all time. 893frustrated.gif

What a piece of [!@#%^&^]

Just wait until number 1.

I am sure we have more complaints. 893frustrated.gif

Just wait until number 1.

I am sure we have more complaints. 893frustrated.gif

ASM 50 isn't it confused.gif

If it is i am not going to complain. confused-smiley-013.gif

And now, WIZARD's pick for the greatest cover of all time-------------

100 Best Covers #1: Amazing Spider-Man #50 (1967)

asm50.jpg

"I totally fell for that cover," says ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN writer Brian Michael Bendis, on John Romita Sr.'s legendary cover. "I really didn't think he was going to be Spider-Man anymore. It's fun to f--- with your audience."

Bendis wasn't the only one compelled by the "Spider-Man No More!" tagline and imagery. That's what catapulted AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 50 to the No. 1 slot with nary an argument among the entire WIZARD staff.

"In this more cynical age when characters come back and all that stuff - it's difficult to believe anything," says ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN editor Ralph Macchio. "But back then, it was all very new. This was done with such drama and flair that I thought after 50 issues, maybe they were going to end it."

Other creators admire the clarity of the cover's concept and what it represented to the future of cover design.

"Just the idea of abandoning your superhero identity, the feeling of turning your back on the reader just has emotional impact," says JLA/AVENGERS artist George Perez. "To have Spider-Man say, 'I give up!' is striking. The character's abandoning the reader."

"This cover established so *many* covers from that point," says SPIDER-MAN: BLUE writer Jeph Loeb. "And it defined the way Marvel DID covers - a straight, graphic image, no fight."

John Romita Jr. often watched his father draw his AMAZING covers, including this one. "He even played me for a little while," says Romita Jr. "I said, 'Wha...? You mean, he's quitting?' He said, 'Yep, he's hanging it up. He's not coming back.' 'Really??' I was into it."

"When I first did the sketch, I thought Stan [Lee] would ask for more - a silhouette of the city or skyline something," says Romita Sr. "But he said, 'Gee, that's great, let's go with it.' And the coloring surprised me, too. I didn't expect red all over the cover."

The greatest compliment ever given to Romita Sr. on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 50's cover came from an unlikely source.

"Matt Groening did a take-off of that one of the Simpsons comics, with Bart walking away from Bartman," says Romita Sr. "That was one of my proudest moments! I always thought you've really arrived when some big successful satire takes a shot at you"

Some homages, or swipes:

77906321824.392.GIF41261224542.19.GIF60954125606.15.GIF07082568478.4.GIF

Yeah, WTF is up with that one? Some aren't exactly *great* covers but you can at least see the reasoning, but this one....?

Obviously this is a fave of a high-ranking Wizard guy, so it got second place.

Yeah, WTF is up with that one? Some aren't exactly *great* covers but you can at least see the reasoning, but this one....?

Obviously this is a fave of a high-ranking Wizard guy, so it got second place.

If by high ranking you mean the one that has hit the crack pipe too often then you are right crazy.gif

That cover sucks mad.gif

100 Best Covers #8: Marvels #2 (1993)

52206661020.2.GIF

This seminal Alex Ross cover does exactly what a cover should - it tells you a mini-story. The X-Men's Angel (note the symbolism), rescuing a disfigured mutant girl away from an angry mob, was so powerful that Marvel used it as a huge promo poster for the mini-series. Ross also notes, "It's my first Alfred E. Nueman image, with the back of his head appearing in the crowd scene."

I have the original art to that cover. acclaim.gif

52206661020.2.GIF

This seminal Alex Ross cover does exactly what a cover should - it tells you a mini-story. The X-Men's Angel (note the symbolism), rescuing a disfigured mutant girl away from an angry mob, was so powerful that Marvel used it as a huge promo poster for the mini-series. Ross also notes, "It's my first Alfred E. Nueman image, with the back of his head appearing in the crowd scene."

893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

52206661020.2.GIF

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif