• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #13: Incredible Hulk #340 (1988)

41319167562.340.GIF

Todd McFarlane aces this one with a fortelling of one mother brawl between Wolverine and Hulk, two of comics' most vicious heroes. "Sometimes covers will remind me of what's inside the book," says ULTIMATE X-MEN artist Adam Kubert. "Sometimes it'll remind me of something I wanted to draw. This one's the latter!"

100 Best Covers #13: Incredible Hulk #340 (1988)

41319167562.340.GIF

Todd McFarlane aces this one with a fortelling of one mother brawl between Wolverine and Hulk, two of comics' most vicious heroes. "Sometimes covers will remind me of what's inside the book," says ULTIMATE X-MEN artist Adam Kubert. "Sometimes it'll remind me of something I wanted to draw. This one's the latter!"

cloud9.gif

Great cover and great battle!!! thumbsup2.gif

100 Best Covers #12: Uncanny X-Men #142 (1981)

97792366288.142.GIF

Gyahhh! "Everybody Dies!"?? Holee sh--. Thai Sentinel can't just vaporize Wolverine, can it? Wouldn't Wolverine give more of a fight? Tell us these thoughts didn't race through your head the first time you spied this incendiary cover, penciled and inked by UNCANNY inker Terry Austin.

141 had a better cover

Thats #11! grin.gif

Gee I think that Secret Wars cover grabs your attention like not many other covers do and when you look at the art you'd be hard pressed to find Doom depicted better. That's saying a ton.

I am sure if you asked a big FF fan they could think of a better Doom cover.

That cover doesn't deserve to be so high 893frustrated.gif

I am a big FF fan? makepoint.gif Sure there are lots of great covers but that one is spectacular. So far 80% of the issues they have picked I wouldn't even consider for this list.

Gee I think that Secret Wars cover grabs your attention like not many other covers do and when you look at the art you'd be hard pressed to find Doom depicted better. That's saying a ton.

I am sure if you asked a big FF fan they could think of a better Doom cover.

That cover doesn't deserve to be so high 893frustrated.gif

I am a big FF fan? makepoint.gif Sure there are lots of great covers but that one is spectacular. So far 80% of the issues they have picked I wouldn't even consider for this list.

There are thousands of covers which are better than that.

Wizard suck, they should have gotten people to submit there favourites, then there wouldn't be 893censored-thumb.gif ones like that in there

Wizard suck, they should have gotten people to submit there favourites, then there wouldm't be ones like that in there

2 problems with that...a) it makes sense and b) the Wizard "experts" needed something to do between coffee breaks! makepoint.gif

100 Best Covers #11: Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 (1985)

19768226990.7.GIF

Whoa. This cover gesture of a saddened character holding another has been used since Michelangelo's Pieta statue (most notably, THOR # 124's Odin holding Thor, and UNCANNY X-MEN # 136's Cyclops holding Phoenix), but George Perez's riveting cover stands out because it's *Superman* grieving over the lifeless body of Supergirl.

141 had a better cover

Thats #11! grin.gif

Shhhhhhhhhh! No giving away the list! sumo.gif

sorry.gif

100 Best Covers #14: Daredevil #183 (1982)

21267019774.183.GIF

"This one screams for attention with a simple, yet very effective design," says ORIGIN artist Andy Kubert, on Frank Miller's cover. "Your eye gets directed right to the center with the use of the background target. Also, the subject matter is *very* graphic." Just notice the pulpy exit wound from the bullet shot through DD's gut.

confused.gif

Sorry, but if thats the last DD cover in this countdown, then they missed the boat on this one!!! There are a number of covers that blow this one out of the water!!! foreheadslap.gif

Most of my favorite DD covers are from around issue 30-50 or so. Although the cover art for this issue isn't spectacular I remeber this book well as a kid and it made me want to purcahse the issue seeing a hole blown right threw DD's stomach with pieces flying behind him.

Oh good.

We are in the top 10! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I kinda regret I didn't start posting the list earlier in the year. It woulda been lots of fun to wait til the day after March 31 and post something like this...

100 Best Covers # 10: Team Youngblood #9 (1994)

86176722212.9.GIF

Talk about intimidating! These super-heroes look ready to burst off the cover and kick your @ss! "It's a truly effective design," says industry legend Steve Ditko (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) of Rob Liefeld's kinetic cover. "Notice how Shaft has a constipated expression, while at the same time Diehard looks all shiny, like he just got his armor waxed. And topping it off with a purple-haired chick? That's plain kewl!"

Oh good.

I kinda regret I didn't start posting the list earlier in the year. It woulda been lots of fun to wait til the day after March 31 and post something like this...

86176722212.9.GIF

Talk about intimidating! These super-heroes look ready to burst off the cover and kick your @ss! "It's a truly effective design," says industry legend Steve Ditko (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) of Rob Liefeld's kinetic cover. "Notice how Shaft has a constipated expression, while at the same time Diehard looks all shiny, like he just got his armor waxed. And topping it off with a purple-haired chick? That's plain kewl!"

sorry.gif but confused.gif

Oh good.

86176722212.9.GIF

I agree WTF? I wouldn't even take that book out of a 25 cent bin. Not even 1 of the top 10,000 covers of all time. Liefeld is one of the worst artists I've ever seen draw super muscular characters...

I agree WTF? I wouldn't even take that book out of a 25 cent bin. Not even 1 of the top 10,000 covers of all time. Liefeld is one of the worst artists I've ever seen draw super muscular characters...

Guys, read my post again: "It woulda been lots of fun to wait til the day after March 31 and post something like this..."

April 1st? makepoint.gif

Guys, read my post again: "It woulda been lots of fun to wait til the day after March 31 and post something like this..."

April 1st? makepoint.gif

foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.giftonofbricks.gif893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Anyway, on to the *real* #10!

100 Best Covers #10: Captain America #193 (1976)

14462577792.193.GIF

Jack Kirby's famous Cap pose (inked by John Romita Sr.) was the most licensed Cap graphic of the 1970s and '80s, adorning everything from mugs to beach towels. "It was never meant to be printed," says Romita Sr. "It was a demo for a 3-D effect, which never happened. That's why that fist is so big!"