• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

Anyway, on to the *real* #10!

100 Best Covers #10: Captain America #193 (1976)

14462577792.193.GIF

Jack Kirby's famous Cap pose (inked by John Romita Sr.) was the most licensed Cap graphic of the 1970s and '80s, adorning everything from mugs to beach towels. "It was never meant to be printed," says Romita Sr. "It was a demo for a 3-D effect, which never happened. That's why that fist is so big!"

THATS BETTER!!

(Shouldve known it was a joke with the constipation and DieHard references!! foreheadslap.gif)

14462577792.193.GIF

Jack Kirby's famous Cap pose (inked by John Romita Sr.) was the most licensed Cap graphic of the 1970s and '80s, adorning everything from mugs to beach towels. "It was never meant to be printed," says Romita Sr. "It was a demo for a 3-D effect, which never happened. That's why that fist is so big!"

Cool cover but top 10 all time??? I'm not sure about that. It is better than most on the list I guess confused.gif

Read carefully, the Youngblood thing is a joke....

I was wondering since the Ditko quote mentioned constipation and all...but it is Wizard and they use to write stuff like that in their issues especially when answering people's letters about the 1st appearance or what not in a comic, so I wouldn't ahve been surprised if they really put it on the list. And I thought perhaps it was really the comic and Bradley was so disgusted that he merely changed the text that Wizard originally had.

100 Best Covers #11: Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 (1985)

19768226990.7.GIF

Whoa. This cover gesture of a saddened character holding another has been used since Michelangelo's Pieta statue (most notably, THOR # 124's Odin holding Thor, and UNCANNY X-MEN # 136's Cyclops holding Phoenix), but George Perez's riveting cover stands out because it's *Superman* grieving over the lifeless body of Supergirl.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

14462577792.193.GIF

Cool cover but top 10 all time??? I'm not sure about that. It is better than most on the list I guess confused.gif

Where's the cool Steranko cover? frown.gif

100 Best Covers #9: Crime SuspenStories #22 (1954)

crime22.jpg

This Johnny Craig cover turned heads. Including those of the U.S. Senate, which used it as evidence in the '50s hearings deploring the violent, depraved content of comic books. The hearings frightened publishers into creating the suppressive Comics Code, which sent SUSPENSTORIES publisher EC Comics spiraling into a sales plunge.

100 Best Covers #8: Marvels #2 (1993)

52206661020.2.GIF

This seminal Alex Ross cover does exactly what a cover should - it tells you a mini-story. The X-Men's Angel (note the symbolism), rescuing a disfigured mutant girl away from an angry mob, was so powerful that Marvel used it as a huge promo poster for the mini-series. Ross also notes, "It's my first Alfred E. Nueman image, with the back of his head appearing in the crowd scene."

crime22.jpg

This Johnny Craig cover turned heads. Including those of the U.S. Senate, which used it as evidence in the '50s hearings deploring the violent, depraved content of comic books. The hearings frightened publishers into creating the suppressive Comics Code, which sent SUSPENSTORIES publisher EC Comics spiraling into a sales plunge.

William Gaines, when asked if he thought this cover was in bad taste during the Senate hearings, said it wasn't. He sealed his fate when he said that bad taste would be showing the blood coming from the severed head.

crime22.jpg

William Gaines, when asked if he thought this cover was in bad taste during the Senate hearings, said it wasn't. He sealed his fate when he said that bad taste would be showing the blood coming from the severed head.

Now that is an artist!!! thumbsup2.gif

52206661020.2.GIF

This seminal Alex Ross cover does exactly what a cover should - it tells you a mini-story. The X-Men's Angel (note the symbolism), rescuing a disfigured mutant girl away from an angry mob, was so powerful that Marvel used it as a huge promo poster for the mini-series. Ross also notes, "It's my first Alfred E. Nueman image, with the back of his head appearing in the crowd scene."

You have got to be kidding sign-rantpost.gif

100 Best Covers #7: Daredevil #184 (1982)

21267019774.184.GIF

The most in-yo'-face of Frank Miller and Klaus Janson's DD covers, both the image and tagline perplex you with why DD's aiming a .44 Magnum! "I actually tried to trace that cover a couple of times," says current DD writer Brian Michael Bendis. "That's Frank Miller at the height of his Clint Eastwood phase. I love that cover."

52206661020.2.GIF

You have got to be kidding sign-rantpost.gif

That is not even the best cover for that series. 893frustrated.gif

100 Best Covers #7: Daredevil #184 (1982)

21267019774.184.GIF

The most in-yo'-face of Frank Miller and Klaus Janson's DD covers, both the image and tagline perplex you with why DD's aiming a .44 Magnum! "I actually tried to trace that cover a couple of times," says current DD writer Brian Michael Bendis. "That's Frank Miller at the height of his Clint Eastwood phase. I love that cover."

Again....another cool cover but top 10 of all time????confused-smiley-013.gif

Bradley, I am loving your new sleestack avatar. 893applaud-thumb.gif

First Season Land of the Lost rocked Saturday mornings of my youth! cloud9.gif

At least half the episodes, the ones with the Sleestacks waking up! 893whatthe.gif

Didn't care for the ones with the cute prototype-Wookies though (is that your avatar FFB?)

My avatar is Chaka. He was a neanderthal, not a wookie prototype. smile.gif

I thought Chaka would be an appropriate avatar for me, in view of my character in Joanna's Crisis storyline. confused-smiley-013.gif

100 Best Covers #6: Amazing Spider-Man #39 (1966)

77906321824.39.GIF

The cover says it all! "That's an image that really hit a lot of readers right in the face," says Alex Ross, an unabashed fan of John Romita Sr.'s cover. "Nothing like that had been done in comics before, where the villain discovers the hero's secret identity. And it was blatantly shown for all the world to see."

100 Best Covers #6: Amazing Spider-Man #39 (1966)

77906321824.39.GIF

The cover says it all! "That's an image that really hit a lot of readers right in the face," says Alex Ross, an unabashed fan of John Romita Sr.'s cover. "Nothing like that had been done in comics before, where the villain discovers the hero's secret identity. And it was blatantly shown for all the world to see."

893applaud-thumb.gif