• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which summer movie will be the highest grossing film of 2012?

Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. Which summer movie will win the box office of 2012?

174 posts in this topic

Hunger Games now at $329 M. #1 box office movie again. Will it break $1B?

no

no, +1; maybe $800mm worldwide. huge hit for everyone involved given the $75mm production budget.

$800M worldwide is low - that $329 is US only.

no

no, +1; maybe $800mm worldwide. huge hit for everyone involved given the $75mm production budget.

I suspect that they spent double that on promoting it. Unless you were living under a rock it was impossible to miss that movie.

But it's still a huge winner for them.. :cool:

Hunger Games will top them all -- and will probably still be playing when summer officially (June 21) rolls around.

+1

I can see "Dark Knight" grossing higher than "Hunger Games", but that`s about it.

I thought Hunger Games was a weak movie.

Did the title of this thread just magically change from "highest grossing film" to "highest critically rated film"?

No. :makepoint:

I just can't figure out what makes the movie so great to some people.

The core audience for "Hunger Games" isn`t the most critically discerning in the world. Just a few years ago, their favorite movie was "High School Musical".

Anyways, I have a hard time accepting criticism of this movie from someone who liked "Transformers" and "Thor".

Go back to kicking noob's puppies now.

I never kick noobs` puppies, just the noobs themselves.

O snap! and WTF?? Thor was fantastic!!!

Both Transformers (big exploding robots and lots of eye candy) and Thor (a terrific comic book movie) did exactly what they set out to do AND what I expected of them.

Hunger Games easily. Dark Knight 2nd. ASM 3rd Avengers 4th my guesses.

For all those touting Hunger Games as the winner last I checked it's been released in most of the major foreign markets so far except a couple Asian countries and it's international tally is only 1/2 of it's domestic one. Unless that number jumps considerably I doubt it ends up #1.

Hunger Games will top them all -- and will probably still be playing when summer officially (June 21) rolls around.

+1

I can see "Dark Knight" grossing higher than "Hunger Games", but that`s about it.

Did the title of this thread just magically change from "highest grossing film" to "highest critically rated film"?

No. :makepoint:

I just can't figure out what makes the movie so great to some people.

It's all about one of Maslow's needs. The need to belong to a group and not feel alone. In a world increasingly void of community and connection, these youth community gatherings, so to say, will come along one after the other... from Harry Potter, to Twilight, to Hunger Games. You watch it, you read it and your part of the group and can talk about it with others.. you aren't the outcast.

It's all about one of Maslow's needs. The need to belong to a group and not feel alone. In a world increasingly void of community and connection, these youth community gatherings, so to say, will come along one after the other... from Harry Potter, to Twilight, to Hunger Games. You watch it, you read it and your part of the group and can talk about it with others.. you aren't the outcast.

I can see it being cultural.

It's going to be interesting to see how it does outside the US because youth outside the US are very different in some countries.

If it's indeed doing 1/2 the numbers outside the US (whereas John Carter did double the numbers) that is an interesting statistic.

Hunger Games easily. Dark Knight 2nd. ASM 3rd Avengers 4th my guesses.

For all those touting Hunger Games as the winner last I checked it's been released in most of the major foreign markets so far except a couple Asian countries and it's international tally is only 1/2 of it's domestic one. Unless that number jumps considerably I doubt it ends up #1.

I'm touting Hunger Games. It's at $460M worldwide in just 3 weeks. Dark Knight did a shade over a billion, Spider-Man 3 was good for $890M, and Twilight: New Moon was good for $710M total.

Friendly wager?

no

It`s not doing that great worldwide, relative to its domestic gross. The books are primarily an American phenomenon and simply haven`t achieved the kind of penetration that Harry Potter and Twilight did. Maybe the sequel will be bigger internationally, benefiting from the foundation being built by the first movie.

Domestically I see it easily passing $400 million but falling short of $500 million. Which ain`t chump change.

+1

Compared to the book it was weak, but I thought it was pretty good overall.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hunger Games. I've read the books 3 times now and find it to be at the forefront of "worldly creativity" although I must ask the question of any Hunger Games fans out there........ Have you, any of you seen the Japanese film called "BATTLE ROYAL " ?? It came out in 1999 and I hate to say it, but this film is definately the "seed" for the entire HUNGER GAMES phenom !! :popcorn: