• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW your Larson Copies!
6 6

611 posts in this topic

Had to put it up for sale on Comiclink to help cover a much larger purchase....

AM20_zpsed5d200f.jpg

i'm trying to get it sold for you; sent the link to a larson-lookin' boardie.

What did old Lamont look like, anyway? hm

I found this online:

5_zpse007f573.jpeg

AM20_zpsed5d200f.jpg

I found this online:

5_zpse007f573.jpeg

Great photo.

Looks like the book didn't quite come home for you. The winner got a good deal, imho.

AM20_zpsed5d200f.jpg

I found this online:

5_zpse007f573.jpeg

Great photo.

Looks like the book didn't quite come home for you. The winner got a good deal, imho.

The winner got a great deal and I'm happy for them.

Hard to believe that CGC dinner was 9 years ago. Here's Lamont's daughter's perspective on the collection, and that surreal trip to Comic-Con 2005...

Superman and Batman battled hardened criminals. “Keen Detective Mysteries” illustrated gripping thrillers. And “The Funny Pages” provoked fits of laughter. These comic books, now considered part of the Golden Age era, entertained readers during the 1930s and 1940s. By the time my dad turned nine, he liked reading the daily and Sunday newspaper comics. My grandparents believed investing a dime in a comic book was worthwhile.

Dad didn’t want to miss an issue of new comics delivered to Creutz Drug Store in Wausa. Owner Fred Creutz mentioned the store would reserve the comics by writing dad’s name on the new books. Employees Tryg Hagen and Cecil Coop were responsible for inscribing dad’s name on the covers in the upper left hand corner.

As years passed, dad’s interests in reading material changed, so Grandma Larson packed away the 1,000+ comics. When the family moved across town in 1940, boxes of comics were stored in the barn. For 35 years, the comics remained hidden in the darkness.

After grandpa passed away in 1973, grandma hired a local handyman to clean out the barn. The worker found the comics , along with old magazines. He asked grandma about them and she sold the boxes for a measly sum. About two years later, he sold the comics for between $50 and $100 dollars at a Sioux City flea market to Joe Triarichi, a comics dealer from Cleveland.

For the next 20 years, Triarichi sold the books that are now known as “the Larson comics,” the third largest comic collection that form one of the most collectible and recognizable pedigree sets in the world.

Through the years, a Connecticut collector named Jon Berk purchased several Larson comics. Berk tried to locate dad, but couldn’t find him. Then, comic book karma intervened. In 1993, a fellow collector approached Berk with “All Star Comics I,” claiming it was a Larson. But the book didn’t have the telltale “Lamont” or “Larson” written on it. Luckily, dad had filled out a coupon for a contest but didn’t cut it out. Address: Wausa, Nebraska.

Berk called information, eventually reaching a non-relative, who directed Berk to my 96-year-young grandma, who directed him to dad. In June 1993, dad received a phone call from Berk proclaiming, “I finally found Lamont Larson.”

Dad’s reply: “I didn’t realize I was lost.”

Dad doesn’t view himself as a collector. His love of reading action/adventure kept him entertained and expanded his love of reading. In 2005, mom and dad, sister Laurie, daughter Courtney and I attended San Diego ComiCon and met a wonderful group of comic enthusiasts and collectors who are passionate about this collection and its impact on the comic book world.

The following day, a gentleman we’d met at the convention stopped us in the hotel lobby and introduced his daughters, screaming, “This….is Lamont Larson.”

Surreal.

It reminded me of groupies converging on a celebrity, waiting to catch a glimpse, snap a blurred photo, or snag a coveted autograph.

To me, he’s dad. But in the world of comic books, he’s a rock star.

Hard to believe that CGC dinner was 9 years ago. Here's Lamont's daughter's perspective on the collection, and that surreal trip to Comic-Con 2005...

Superman and Batman battled hardened criminals. “Keen Detective Mysteries” illustrated gripping thrillers. And “The Funny Pages” provoked fits of laughter. These comic books, now considered part of the Golden Age era, entertained readers during the 1930s and 1940s. By the time my dad turned nine, he liked reading the daily and Sunday newspaper comics. My grandparents believed investing a dime in a comic book was worthwhile.

Dad didn’t want to miss an issue of new comics delivered to Creutz Drug Store in Wausa. Owner Fred Creutz mentioned the store would reserve the comics by writing dad’s name on the new books. Employees Tryg Hagen and Cecil Coop were responsible for inscribing dad’s name on the covers in the upper left hand corner.

As years passed, dad’s interests in reading material changed, so Grandma Larson packed away the 1,000+ comics. When the family moved across town in 1940, boxes of comics were stored in the barn. For 35 years, the comics remained hidden in the darkness.

After grandpa passed away in 1973, grandma hired a local handyman to clean out the barn. The worker found the comics , along with old magazines. He asked grandma about them and she sold the boxes for a measly sum. About two years later, he sold the comics for between $50 and $100 dollars at a Sioux City flea market to Joe Triarichi, a comics dealer from Cleveland.

For the next 20 years, Triarichi sold the books that are now known as “the Larson comics,” the third largest comic collection that form one of the most collectible and recognizable pedigree sets in the world.

Through the years, a Connecticut collector named Jon Berk purchased several Larson comics. Berk tried to locate dad, but couldn’t find him. Then, comic book karma intervened. In 1993, a fellow collector approached Berk with “All Star Comics I,” claiming it was a Larson. But the book didn’t have the telltale “Lamont” or “Larson” written on it. Luckily, dad had filled out a coupon for a contest but didn’t cut it out. Address: Wausa, Nebraska.

Berk called information, eventually reaching a non-relative, who directed Berk to my 96-year-young grandma, who directed him to dad. In June 1993, dad received a phone call from Berk proclaiming, “I finally found Lamont Larson.”

Dad doesn’t view himself as a collector. His love of reading action/adventure kept him entertained and expanded his love of reading. In 2005, mom and dad, sister Laurie, daughter Courtney and I attended San Diego ComiCon and met a wonderful group of comic enthusiasts and collectors who are passionate about this collection and its impact on the comic book world.

The following day, a gentleman we’d met at the convention stopped us in the hotel lobby and introduced his daughters, screaming, “This….is Lamont Larson.”

Surreal.

It reminded me of groupies converging on a celebrity, waiting to catch a glimpse, snap a blurred photo, or snag a coveted autograph.

the best GA pedigree story :)

Surreal.

Great story. Very nice to have a relative give such an articulate and complete account of the origins of a pedigree. The contrast with some other pedigrees -- hello Reilly/San Francisco! -- is striking.

A shame, though, that Lamont and his family benefitted so little from such a fabulous collection.

Surreal.

It's great but for me nothing tops Okajima. I wish we had as thorough an account of its origins.

Surreal.

It's great but for me nothing tops Okajima. I wish we had as thorough an account of its origins.

good point. I think the Reilly and Okajima collections are great too but there are a few unknowns or uncertainties with those collections. The Larson is confirmed with the OO thanks to Berk's detective work many years ago :)

Surreal.

good point. I think the Reilly and Okajima collections are great too but there are a few unknowns or uncertainties with those collections. The Larson is confirmed with the OO thanks to Berk's detective work many years ago :)

Plus Lamont has a really cool mustache.

Surreal.

I bet Miss Okajima doesn't even have a mustache.

Surreal.

50/50

Surreal.

50/50

lol Did anyone ever mention you guys are really bad? :taptaptap:

Surreal.

50/50

lol Did anyone ever mention you guys are really bad? :taptaptap:

What are the chances?