• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

FMV is many many things...in the case of jerry's hair or the check that stole superman not much real value here excpet hype.....action 1.....in the words of " bellock" from raiders of the lost ark....this IS history....

Sorry, I asked for the method used at arriving at a 'value'.

You have simply offered a personal opinion without a scrap of data to support it.

Are you saying that you have no idea what this might be 'worth' beyond your own opinion?

This is officially a pigpile now.

I'm trying to Sus out a response, but I'm sty-mied. (shrug)

For the record, I disagree with their callous sentiments.

I know for a fact that horse are deathly afraid of the color red.

smiley-violent075.gif I think the horse is beyond that concern in this thread.

I just want to know why I get all the short jokes. :taptaptap:

Because you're quick figuring out one-liners. Longer jokes require patience. Work on your attention span. :gossip:

Same reason I get all the tall jokes.

I reckon it's one of them thar Texas thangs. I'm originally from Oklahoma so my jokes tend to fall short. (shrug)

Same reason I get all the hair jokes.

Not all of them, but I wouldn't worry about it until the jokes become a gray area. :gossip:

I'm apologizing in advance for this, and now I'm running for cover! :fear:

ATTN CAL:

Action comics #1 is a true collectable, which has been in demand since 1938. It did not have be invented like the check that stole superman, you do not have to hype it up, the book stands a milestone of comic book history. Apple and Orange CAL here.

Can we please move on from the "is Action Comics #1 a collectible" debate?

How about Action Comics #2? Is that?

the BEDROCK of comic book collecting IS action comics # 1...Mr B.

Nope. The biggest book in the hobby is not Action 1. Amazing Fantasy 15 generates more total dollars than Action 1. Hulk 181 generates more total dollars than Action 1. I'm sure we can come up with a whole list of books that are more important than Action 1 in terms of dollars spent year to year. Action 1 is the most expensive. And it does define you. But it isn't the BEDROCK (thumbs u

ATTN CAL:

Action comics #1 is a true collectable, which has been in demand since 1938. It did not have be invented like the check that stole superman, you do not have to hype it up, the book stands a milestone of comic book history. Apple and Orange CAL here.

Actually... Action #1, and comics in general for that matter, really didn't acquire any reasonable collectibles value until about the early to mid-1960s.

Historically important checks and contracts have been collected and valued way way way longer than that.

Nope. The biggest book in the hobby is not Action 1. Amazing Fantasy 15 generates more total dollars than Action 1. Hulk 181 generates more total dollars than Action 1. I'm sure we can come up with a whole list of books that are more important than Action 1 in terms of dollars spent year to year. Action 1 is the most expensive. And it does define you. But it isn't the BEDROCK (thumbs u

In fact, Mitch, the rise of comics as a dollars-valued collectible pretty much parallels the rise of Marvel Comics. If Marvel hadn't revived the super-hero genre in the 1960s, which is also when back-issue comics began being sold at premiums, I suspect ol' Action #1 would be selling for a fraction of what it is today.

Superman kept super-heroes as a successful enterprise only for about a decade before sales began to precipitously decline, and super-heroes became one of the least popular comic book genres. Spider-Man and the FF revived the genre, dragging Superman and other heroes along with their success, which continues to this day, most particularly in films, video games, etc.

In fact, Mitch, the rise of comics as a dollars-valued collectible pretty much parallels the rise of Marvel Comics. If Marvel hadn't revived the super-hero genre in the 1960s, which is also when back-issue comics began being sold at premiums, I suspect ol' Action #1 would be selling for a fraction of what it is today.

Superman kept super-heroes as a successful enterprise only for about a decade before sales began to precipitously decline, and super-heroes became one of the least popular comic book genres. Spider-Man and the FF revived the genre, dragging Superman and other heroes along with their success, which continues to this day, most particularly in films, video games, etc.

You need to hunker down, Mitch, and suckle at the teat of this comic knowledge tandem.

FMV is many many things...in the case of jerry's hair or the check that stole superman not much real value here excpet hype.....action 1.....in the words of " bellock" from raiders of the lost ark....this IS history....

lol action comics 1 is all hype too it happens to be the 1st app of a major chacter but there are what 10 mayby 15 copies out there........how meny copies of the check are out there

action 1 i don't know if i'd call it history......the check on the other hand is, it proved just how badly original creators got screwed over & if made out to them both has both sigs on it as well

imo the check is more important then action 1 in the grand sceam of things

the hair is creepy and in bad taste imo

just bc you don't think it's worth anything means nothing as i don't know you so your opinion on the matter means nothing.....grain of salt and all that

now bedrock and others while i may not know them personaly outside of saying :hi: at a con, there knoldge of the market and other things delaing with comics i would listen to, they have proven they know what their talking about

quit your preaching and go back into your hole

lol action comics 1 is all hype too it happens to be the 1st app of a major chacter but there are what 10 mayby 15 copies out there........how meny copies of the check are out there

You can't counter him using numbers that are so far off from reality yourself ...

the check on the other hand is, it proved just how badly original creators got screwed over

meh

add my meh

I will reiterate my earlier sentiment that the check and what it represents makes me sad.

Good points. The comic book company that sold the most units from the late 1940's to the early 60's was DELL basically with non-superhero fare, such as funny animals. They only began to lose ground in 1961 when they misread the market and went to a 15¢ cover price when everyone else went cheaper. Add the super-hero revival led by Marvel and Dell's dominance was over.

Very good point.

It can be argued that the most important comic book of them all is FF1, because without it superheroes were on a fast fade in the cultural landscape. Ever look at a DC book from 1961 and realize it was published about the same time as FF1, and how the DC books were so childish? Even long after Marvel's renaissance, DC continued publishing books with absurd fantasy stories and endless variations on the "betrayal by friend or family" theme (remember all those covers with the characters turning on each other? "Lois, why are you killing me?" "Because I hate you." etc)

Without FF1, would there be many billion dollar franchises? Would DC have ever gotten more serious with its films, which was essential to the greenlighting of a more serious batman in 1989? There might have been a brief moment in the sun with the 1977 Superman, but would we have seen an end to Superhero films when that franchise flamed out?

You need to hunker down, Mitch, and suckle at the teat of this comic knowledge tandem.

Having witness my wife preform this task over the past three years to 2 tabcom juniors, I can attest to the nutrient value of this advise.

teat suck-it is good for the brain . . . . King of Comics!

I thought this thread had petered out, but it seems it might be taking off again :popcorn:

Not with all the suckling teats, hunkering down and knowledge in tandem going on. :blush:

I need a cigarette; ...oh, that's right, I don't smoke. :facepalm:

petered out, suckling teats, comeuppance, it is starting to get good in here.