• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

I don't know exactly what "above-average intelligence" means in the grand scheme of things, either.

Traditional Western thinking prizes reading speed and comprehension, the ability to analogize and word associate, memorization and the ability to retrieve information from both short and long term memory, and analytical thinking.

There are so many other ways to gauge intelligence that it almost has rendered the term meaningless, at least to me.

Some of the guys that I worked with on the loading dock were not "traditionally" intelligent, but were amazing at building, drawing, fixing and solving logistics issues, that they made me look functionally retarded.

Success is finding an area that maximizes your skills and minimizes your weaknesses.

abc-reporter.jpg

...so for me, formal education is merely a requirement if you want enter certain professions, but it in no way indicates the "intelligence level" of a person, nor does it even come close to encapsulating someone's experience or character.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much how I look at it, too.

Next, you need to score in the top half of takers of the LSAT to be able to get into _any_ of the ~200 law schools in the U.S. And that knocks out 50% of the already-motivated and self-selected group of aspiring lawyers.

Really? In Canada, you generally need to score in the top 20-25% to have a shot.

Next, you need to score in the top half of takers of the LSAT to be able to get into _any_ of the ~200 law schools in the U.S. And that knocks out 50% of the already-motivated and self-selected group of aspiring lawyers.

Really? In Canada, you generally need to score in the top 20-25% to have a shot.

fc36f0bb-689b-4c3c-a8be-ddddc7485d83.jpg

I don't know exactly what "above-average intelligence" means in the grand scheme of things, either.

Traditional Western thinking prizes reading speed and comprehension, the ability to analogize and word associate, memorization and the ability to retrieve information from both short and long term memory, and analytical thinking.

There are so many other ways to gauge intelligence that it almost has rendered the term meaningless, at least to me.

Some of the guys that I worked with on the loading dock were not "traditionally" intelligent, but were amazing at building, drawing, fixing and solving logistics issues, that they made me look functionally retarded.

Success is finding an area that maximizes your skills and minimizes your weaknesses.

Sweet post. Said it better than I did. Pretty good for a lawyer.

I wipe my azzzzzzzzz with your Action # 1.

hmCharmin. You seem to be on a roll; what do you do for an encore? :blush:

Yes, I know, when I post something like this I'm a doosh, but when Mitch posts the same thing he's "misunderstood" or "over-zealous". Don't let loyalty turn into hypocrisy.

But I would like to apologize to Sky, my posts were timed poorly with her excellent post. I'm going to re-post it here since I think you missed it:

"Not only is FT articulate in person, he's more articulate after "a few pints" than most people who have not touched a drop.

I'm not so sure drinking and posting is Mitch's problem. It might be more arrogance and posting.

In either case, it's nice of you to defend him, but he seems to enjoy the flak. I asked Mitch a while ago what schools he went to, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was wondering if he had earned his degree by clerking, rather than attending actually universities.

Since he did attend both undergrad and grad schools, I can't imagine how he could have graduated with the grammar and spelling he exhibits here, so I can only believe he has very little respect for the people he's addressing.

He's proven that by the way he writes and the things he says in writing. "

Don't overestimate what "average" means.

While I'll agree that anyone with average intelligence could learn the skills necessary to be a lawyer, the barriers to entry in the U.S. make the bar much higher in practice.

First, outside of California, you need an undergrad degree. That automatically knocks out 40%+ of the adult U.S. populace (thus approaching "average").

Then, if you aspire to immediately join the ranks of the elite law firms that pay $100k+, you either need to go to a top 20 law school AND then place in the top 1/2-1/3 of that similarly-smart and cut-throat/douchey group over the first two years of classes and/or go to a top 100 school and place in the top 3 percent of students--while everyone else is doing their damndest to push you down the forced curve.

This requires brains (figuring out how to study effectively, learn the way law school exams work, etc.), work ethic, money (for tuition) and dedication.

Then the process starts all over again when you start to practice, as the skills required to be an effective lawyer at best only vaguely correspond to those required to be an effective law student.

Money is not a problem, They are giving away subprime student loans just like they were giving away subprime housing loans. The student loans will be the next big bubble to pop. Already 1 billion dollars is owed because of student loans. So for all you guys n gals who never went to college because of no money here is your chance. :)

tumblr_kxebifIoEL1qanc0a.jpg

That guy is nuts! There's no way he's defending me, I don't care what his track record is. He keeps stopping in the middle of his summation, looking out the window, and shouting "Godzilla!, Godzilla!".

From all my years of practice the majority of folks I have met who practice law were either beat up relentlessly as children by bullies, suffer from less than stellar genitalia, or were raised to be an anal sphincter. At various times their actions, words, and behavior are so outside the bounds of regular folks that only one (or some combination) of the above can explain what I have been forced to witness.

This resonates with my experiences meeting other students. There's also the anti-social, Darwinian Evolution-inspired "Masters of the Universe" who think success naturally entails an amoral contempt for the plebs. I call them the Doucheoise.

Not that I don't agree with Chris or think that his observations apply to the majority of the general population, but I am so adopting the Doucheoise as my new word.

How are you pronouncing it?

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

I think a tweak is in order to make it closer to this:

vichyssoise

[vish-ee-swahz, vee-shee-swahz]   Origin

vi·chys·soise

   [vish-ee-swahz, vee-shee-swahz]

And if I don't like cold potato soup, then what? :taptaptap:

I've heard things.

You're a closet cold potato soup lover.

:whee:

Well said.

Law school is not as hard as you think it is.Anybody with average intelligence can go to law school and succeed.Maybe not Harvard or Yale, but the hundreds of law schools in America are not hard to get into,as long as you can pay and get decent b grades.It`s a hyped myth.There is more unemployed lawyers then working lawyers right now. What`s scary is they are the majority of people making the laws who are running the country. Now on the other hand medical school that`s much much harder. ;)

Is there some sort of perception that you have to be above-average intelligent in order to be a lawyer? I know there's a perception they are wealthy or affluent, but super smart?

I always thought it was a specific skillset of knowledge and learning ability to study law - just the same as the accounting or medical field. I've never felt that these people are above-average intelligence, and thankfully - the people I have met in my life in these fields have never acted that way.

If the people in those fields that you met didn't act like they were super smart it was because they were smart enough to realize all the things that they DON'T know. lol These professions are so big, so vast, with so much information that a really smart person knows that his intelligence is a drop in the bucket and not worth a damn if he thinks it makes him better than anyone else or that it's valuable without the ability to apply it.

There may not be a need to be super smart to study law, it's in the application and practice where the ability to "read and react" on your feet may look like simply an acquired skill but is actually a combination of mental ability and memory.

My friend calls them "sharpies".

Effective law practice is not simply a skill that can be learned over time regardless of IQ and information retention capacity.

There is a gigantic amount of memory skill that's necessary, but the amount of ability to apply what you remember to ever changing and unique situations is not something everyone has, and is imperative to excelling in the field.

There are different kinds of smart. Lawyers need to be either very book smart, very street smart, or some combination of the two. It doesn't hurt to be a solid communicator able to speak to different people different ways in order to best convince them of your position.

It's one of those fields that looks really easy on TV but has more moving parts than a Swiss watch factory.

That`s called critical thinking. The colleges now emphasize what you allude to be far more important than the occasional spelling error or grammar error. They want people to be able to react in the real world then some nerd who can spout off the difference between affect and effect. :)

Sweet post. Said it better than I did. Pretty good for a lawyer.

Can I get the Coles notes version of the above? :D

That guy is nuts! There's no way he's defending me, I don't care what his track record is. He keeps stopping in the middle of his summation, looking out the window, and shouting "Godzilla!, Godzilla!".

hm

But if Perry is eliciting a fourth act courtroom confession from Godzilla, then wouldn't your objection be ruled irrelevant, incompetent and immaterial? (shrug)

hm

But if Perry is eliciting a fourth act courtroom confession from Godzilla, then wouldn't your objection be ruled irrelevant, incompetent and immaterial? (shrug)

No. I told you the guy was nuts. Anyone with half a brain could clearly see it was Gamera outside the window.

it just annoyed me that something I'd posted was taken completely out of context.

It is such a rare occurrence.

Comic dealer :hi: