• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

Law school is not as hard as you think it is.Anybody with average intelligence can go to law school and succeed.Maybe not Harvard or Yale, but the hundreds of law schools in America are not hard to get into,as long as you can pay and get decent b grades.It`s a hyped myth.There is more unemployed lawyers then working lawyers right now. What`s scary is they are the majority of people making the laws who are running the country. Now on the other hand medical school that`s much much harder. ;)

Is there some sort of perception that you have to be above-average intelligent in order to be a lawyer? I know there's a perception they are wealthy or affluent, but super smart?

I always thought it was a specific skillset of knowledge and learning ability to study law - just the same as the accounting or medical field. I've never felt that these people are above-average intelligence, and thankfully - the people I have met in my life in these fields have never acted that way.

There are many different aspects to intelligence, so I don't even know what "above-average intelligence" really means.

einstein-communist2.jpg

ayn_rand_1363372c.jpg

You forgot:

Sheldon%2BCooper%2Bsheldon.jpg

From all my years of practice the majority of folks I have met who practice law were either beat up relentlessly as children by bullies, suffer from less than stellar genitalia, or were raised to be an anal sphincter. At various times their actions, words, and behavior are so outside the bounds of regular folks that only one (or some combination) of the above can explain what I have been forced to witness.

This resonates with my experiences meeting other students. There's also the anti-social, Darwinian Evolution-inspired "Masters of the Universe" who think success naturally entails an amoral contempt for the plebs. I call them the Doucheoise.

Not that I don't agree with Chris or think that his observations apply to the majority of the general population, but I am so adopting the Doucheoise as my new word.

How are you pronouncing it?

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

As the creator of "Doucheoise", I demand it be pronounced "Doucheoisie".

Law school is not as hard as you think it is.Anybody with average intelligence can go to law school and succeed.Maybe not Harvard or Yale, but the hundreds of law schools in America are not hard to get into,as long as you can pay and get decent b grades.It`s a hyped myth.There is more unemployed lawyers then working lawyers right now. What`s scary is they are the majority of people making the laws who are running the country. Now on the other hand medical school that`s much much harder. ;)

Is there some sort of perception that you have to be above-average intelligent in order to be a lawyer? I know there's a perception they are wealthy or affluent, but super smart?

I always thought it was a specific skillset of knowledge and learning ability to study law - just the same as the accounting or medical field. I've never felt that these people are above-average intelligence, and thankfully - the people I have met in my life in these fields have never acted that way.

There are many different aspects to intelligence, so I don't even know what "above-average intelligence" really means.

einstein-communist2.jpg

ayn_rand_1363372c.jpg

You forgot:

^^

From all my years of practice the majority of folks I have met who practice law were either beat up relentlessly as children by bullies, suffer from less than stellar genitalia, or were raised to be an anal sphincter. At various times their actions, words, and behavior are so outside the bounds of regular folks that only one (or some combination) of the above can explain what I have been forced to witness.

This resonates with my experiences meeting other students. There's also the anti-social, Darwinian Evolution-inspired "Masters of the Universe" who think success naturally entails an amoral contempt for the plebs. I call them the Doucheoise.

Not that I don't agree with Chris or think that his observations apply to the majority of the general population, but I am so adopting the Doucheoise as my new word.

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

I think a tweak is in order to make it closer to this:

vichyssoise

[vish-ee-swahz, vee-shee-swahz]   Origin

vi·chys·soise

   [vish-ee-swahz, vee-shee-swahz]

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

vichyssoise

vi·chys·soise

And if I don't like cold potato soup, then what? :taptaptap:

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

As the creator of "Doucheoise", I demand it be pronounced "Doucheoisie".

I agree. I was going to suggest we go with the longer Doosh-Wah-Zee spelling and pronunciation, but didn't want to overstep.

einstein-communist2.jpg

ayn_rand_1363372c.jpg

You forgot:

M orons!

vizzini.jpg

Ahem, this thread is now officially :signofftopic:

Mitch just farts and leaves the room, then we end up talking about the relative intelligence of lawyers. WTF? :facepalm:

Given what's occurred the relative intelligence of lawyers was the elephant in the room.

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

vichyssoise

vi·chys·soise

And if I don't like cold potato soup, then what? :taptaptap:

borscht-1.jpg

I'd somewhat agree with needing academic aptitude, but personal life, social and environmental issues play a huge part in being able to succeed in schooling. Someone with great aptitude for learning can be hamstrung at school when saddled with a job or two, raising kids or personal problems.

I barely graduated high school, so you're preaching to the choir. ;)

But academic aptitude, regardless, is definitely required to get the standardized test scores and GPA set as barriers-to-entry for graduate degree programs. But I agree with you to the extent that "academic aptitude" is the product of one's environment. I have no clue how much is "nurture" and how much is "nature", but they definitely both play their roles.

What Chris said about practicing law is true to an extent with school performance as well. A big part of it is memory, and the ability to apply what you learn in different contexts. I'm not sure how that skill is acquired, but I know that some people have it, and others don't.

All that being said, I know academically brilliant people who can't manage any other aspect of their lives, and I've met people, through my experience working in blue-collar industries, that had their mess together, even though they've probably never read an entire book. There's a broad spectrum of humans out there, and a lot of ways to "make it" through this world successfully, so for me, formal education is merely a requirement if you want enter certain professions, but it in no way indicates the "intelligence level" of a person, nor does it even come close to encapsulating someone's experience or character.

einstein-communist2.jpg

ayn_rand_1363372c.jpg

You forgot:

M orons!

vizzini.jpg

fezzik-1.jpg

Like BOURGEOIS?

So Doosh-Wah?

I figured it's Doosh-Wah-Zee. lol

That's it. (thumbs u

Ahem, this thread is now officially :signofftopic:

Mitch just farts and leaves the room, then we end up talking about the relative intelligence of lawyers. WTF? :facepalm:

Given what's occurred the relative intelligence of lawyers was the elephant in the room.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that Mitch is a member of that fine profession. :o

I don't know exactly what "above-average intelligence" means in the grand scheme of things, either.

Traditional Western thinking prizes reading speed and comprehension, the ability to analogize and word associate, memorization and the ability to retrieve information from both short and long term memory, and analytical thinking.

There are so many other ways to gauge intelligence that it almost has rendered the term meaningless, at least to me.

Some of the guys that I worked with on the loading dock were not "traditionally" intelligent, but were amazing at building, drawing, fixing and solving logistics issues, that they made me look functionally retarded.

Success is finding an area that maximizes your skills and minimizes your weaknesses.

Don't overestimate what "average" means.

While I'll agree that anyone with average intelligence could learn the skills necessary to be a lawyer, the barriers to entry in the U.S. make the bar much higher in practice.

First, outside of California, you need an undergrad degree. That automatically knocks out 40%+ of the adult U.S. populace (thus approaching "average").

Next, you need to score in the top half of takers of the LSAT to be able to get into _any_ of the ~200 law schools in the U.S. And that knocks out 50% of the already-motivated and self-selected group of aspiring lawyers.

Then, if you aspire to immediately join the ranks of the elite law firms that pay $100k+, you either need to go to a top 20 law school AND then place in the top 1/2-1/3 of that similarly-smart and cut-throat/douchey group over the first two years of classes and/or go to a top 100 school and place in the top 3 percent of students--while everyone else is doing their damndest to push you down the forced curve.

This requires brains (figuring out how to study effectively, learn the way law school exams work, etc.), work ethic, money (for tuition) and dedication.

Then the process starts all over again when you start to practice, as the skills required to be an effective lawyer at best only vaguely correspond to those required to be an effective law student.

I don't know exactly what "above-average intelligence" means in the grand scheme of things, either.

Traditional Western thinking prizes reading speed and comprehension, the ability to analogize and word associate, memorization and the ability to retrieve information from both short and long term memory, and analytical thinking.

There are so many other ways to gauge intelligence that it almost has rendered the term meaningless, at least to me.

Some of the guys that I worked with on the loading dock were not "traditionally" intelligent, but were amazing at building, drawing, fixing and solving logistics issues, that they made me look functionally retarded.

Success is finding an area that maximizes your skills and minimizes your weaknesses.

The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell discusses the concept of "intelligent enough" which is along these lines. Interesting stuff.