• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTOR AND PRICE VULTURES BEWARE-WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

460 posts in this topic

lol action comics 1 is all hype too it happens to be the 1st app of a major chacter but there are what 10 mayby 15 copies out there........how meny copies of the check are out there

You can't counter him using numbers that are so far off from reality yourself ...

everything i've ever heard was there are not meny out there......could i be wrong, of course i could

the #'s i just choose them but the point is still valid few/meny is still easier to find then something there's only 1 of

I tend to agree on one point that was when ff 1 hit the stands by issue 7 every kid I knew would not trade one for one, and older kids started to involved. I think however you are forgetting history and one big point.....ec comics....and the collector fans of the 50's as far as organized fandom, the first couple of overstreet guides really helped collecting take off also.

As a newly minted owner of a beautiful copy of Fantastic Four #1, I salute all of the FF lovin' currently taking place in this thread.

Do you have a scan?

As a newly minted owner of a beautiful copy of Fantastic Four #1, I salute all of the FF lovin' currently taking place in this thread.

Do you have a scan?

I can PM you the ebay sale. Hold on.

Do you have a scan?

Make it two on the PM. Congrats.

Do you have a scan?

Make it two on the PM. Congrats.

PM incoming.

trees.

you might want to go to the gold section and see my post on the last page which is page 35 of the thread I started reguarding the future of GA/SA comic book collecting after counterfeits hit the market. keep it civil...it's in the gold fourm.

How about $160K for the check?

160K!!!

..NEW YORK (Reuters) - Decades after two young cartoonists from Cleveland sold the rights to Superman for $130, their 1938 paycheck fetched $160,000 on Monday in an online auction.

The winning bid landed the check that Detective Comics, later known as DC Comics, wrote to Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster for the comic-book character with the "S" emblazoned on his chest.

"The concept of the superhero was born with Superman," said Vincent Zurzolo, co-owner of New York-based ComicConnect, which held the online auction.

"That $130 check essentially created a billion-dollar industry," he said, listing the super heroes who followed in the Man of Steel's footsteps, including Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men.

Like Superman, all of them today have their own blockbuster movie series and merchandise empires.

The check for the rights to the American icon who stands for truth, justice and the American way is "the holy grail" for comic book fans and collectors, Zurzolo said.

"Think about a world without Superman," Zurzolo said. "Without this check being written, we'd never have a Superman, we'd never have a comic-book industry."

Siegel and Shuster's agreement in 1938 to sell the rights for such a paltry sum came to haunt them and, later, their heirs, who sued DC Comics and its parent company Warner Bros.

Sons of Jewish immigrants, Siegel and Shuster were childhood friends from Cleveland. After creating Superman as young men in their 20s, they offered the character around before finally making the sale to DC Comics.

ComicConnect said that when the first Superman movie came out in 1978, Shuster was so broke he was working as an aging delivery man.

To add insult to injury, the $130 payment was included in a $402 check that incorrectly spelled the names of Siegel and Shuster, forcing them to endorse it both ways in order to get paid. Shuster died in 1992 and Siegel in 1996.

The check was sold on behalf of the heirs of a DC Comics employee, who stashed it for decades in a dresser drawer, the firm said. Zurzolo declined to reveal the identity of the buyer.

The auction of the check comes months after a record $2.16 million was paid in December for a first issue of Action Comics, the comic book that unveiled Superman to the world. It cost 10 cents when it was published in 1938.

(Reporting by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Eric Walsh and David Brunnstrom)

"Think about a world without Superman," Zurzolo said. "Without this check being written, we'd never have a Superman, we'd never have a comic-book industry."

We wouldn't have the same comic book industry... but we'd still have one. Come on, Zurzolo... you know better than that.

160K!!!

"the holy grail" for comic book fans and collectors, Zurzolo said.

Mitch just PM'd me his response to this final price......

scanners4.gif

160K!!!

"the holy grail" for comic book fans and collectors, Zurzolo said.

Mitch just PM'd me his response to this final price......

scanners4.gif

lol Pretty much. I posted the same thing (not the gif) on BK's facebook page.

meh

And if Jobs and Wozniak hadn't built the first PC, we'd never have had the personal computer industry?

meh

And if Jobs and Wozniak hadn't built the first PC, we'd never have had the personal computer industry?

Jobs and Wozniak didn't build the first PC. :gossip:

meh

:sorry:

I stand corrected.

First commercially available?

meh

I stand corrected.

http://www.blinkenlights.com/pc.shtml

meh

I stand corrected.

http://www.blinkenlights.com/pc.shtml

Not to take this thread off topic, but does anyone have the check that bought out Wheeler-Nicholson?