• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Spinner Racks
1 1

204 posts in this topic

They're around...I got mine at an auction in Pennsylvania, after 5 years or so of searching.

rack2.jpg

Some folks here have had luck at flea markets, and with local Craigslist sellers. The common thread in all the spinner rack success stories I've read here on the Boards is that patience and diligence in the search generally pays off.

Good luck!

Nice rack! lol

btw, do yourself a favor and pop that potato gun out of the package and play with it! My LCS sells though and i bought my son and daughter 1 and a couple potatoes. Those things work AWESOME and we had a blast with them for a couple weeks before they got tired of them.

The vintage ones, which are rare, can run hundreds of dollars, if not more.

Here is one of mine which was one of the first post-code spinner racks.

DSCN1723.jpg

Awesome display. I'm likin this one.

Stupid off topic question time. What does that symbol stand for with the ID in the picture of north America. It's on the top of that spinner rack and you can see it on most comics/magazines before 1960, maybe earlier. I'm always wondering what it is whenever I see it.

The vintage ones, which are rare, can run hundreds of dollars, if not more.

Here is one of mine which was one of the first post-code spinner racks.

DSCN1723.jpg

For nearly ever spinner rack, a standlone verison was produced.

The standalone's are much rarer than the spinner rack version. I had an opportunity to pick up the standalone version of this particular rack, but it was in pretty rough shape and didn't want to chance having it shipped and arrived damaged. A few of the pockets were broken on it as well which was the deal breaker.

These newer ones, late 60s/70s, can be found from $125 - $350.

KGrHqVhEE7uMNmolBPCkPylwjQ60_3.jpg

I have the standalone for this one as well as the other spinner shown (HEY!! KIDS COMICS). What's cool about the standalone version I have for the one pictured above is that the tin sign shows a slight variation in artwork for the Superman. If I have some time later, I'll take some pictures of the ones I have.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that for the "COMICS" version and the "HEY!! KIDS COMICS" spinners, there are 40 pocket (square tin topper with 4 rows of 10 pockets) and a 50 pocket (pentagon shaped tin topper with 5 rows of 10 pockets) versions. I've had numerous opportunities to pick up the 40 pocket versions, but I decided to go with the 50 pocket spinner versions strictly for the reason that I was able to display higher quantities.

Mine is the 50 pockets of the Hey!! Kids Comics in black and it holds easily 10 Four Colors per pocket so it carries 500+ comics or the equivalent of about 2 long boxes. Right now, it's holding all my Classics Illustrated and Dell Giants :)

Having patience is the best advice. I spent 3 years looking at ebay and Craigslist before I finally found this on Craiglist under the yard sale section.

SDC15622.jpg

Who knows how long it will take to find one that holds GA and SA books.

Same one that I got from The Blob in NYC one night many years ago!!!

Definitely won't hold GA books without some "bending" of the metal brackets...

Still, a totally cool rack... :applause:

I am considering going to a custom fabricator, just to see what the cost would be.

If it could be made for 2-300 bucks I would be ok with that. While I would love to have the old golden aged one Comicwiz linked ( beautiful by the way! ) I really doubt I will find one local to me ( Edmonton AB Canada ) and the shipping will be horrendous.

I'd wait it out. You could probably find a generic spinner for magazines fairly easily. I've seen so many ads over the last few years posted by stores shutting down and practically giving away magazine spinners.

There might even be a local manufacturer of store displays that might have one in stock. But I will warn you that they aren't cheap if bought new and they just don't compare to the coolness of having a vintage comic spinner.

If you decide to go that route, keep your eye's peeled on tin toppers. I found one on eBay and had a boardie (TheWatcher) help me out as the seller refused to ship to Canada. With a vintage topper, you could dress up any spinner to look like a comic spinner.

As for vintage comic spinners, I saw one advertised in your parts not too long ago, but it was one of the same ones I already had, so it's definitely possible to find one if your patient.

I've owned four spinner racks over the last couple years, three of the HEY! Kids Comics and one of the Superman/Richie Rich/Spiderman/Archie, mine is four sided.

This after lusting after a spinner rack for decades, lol

Once I broke through, they just started falling into my lap.

The first HKC was $50 on Craigslist, the second was $40 from a dealer acquaintance, the third was $9 at an auction, and I traded one of the HKC for the Supey/Richie. Sold the third HKC at Motor City last year for $100, and could easily have sold three more

I've kept the nicest HKC and Supey/Richie for myself, and am always looking for more variations. I LUST after the post-Comics Code spinner shown above!

:cloud9:

Anyone in Arizona looking for one...

http://arizona.thecollectibleshopper.com/collectibles/vintage-comic-book-rack-amp-comics.html

Finding one of this in Calgary is awful.

I was able to find a couple decent ones in Montreal, but no one seems to like to ship.

I have that very advert bookmarked, I assume there is no point in me calling since it sounds like they wouldn't ship it to Calgary, why would they send it north of that?

Anyone near Eldora, Ia

Here's two on ebay, a four sided, and five sided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comic-book-spinner-rack-/150796224683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c27c8ab

Have that auction bookmarked as well.

My issue is 300.00 ... reserve not met. She is wanting a lot for them and as of yet wont sell them individually.