• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,877 posts in this topic

I know... I was impressed the way the handled the Hellboy logo as well... I did a little research and apparently this is relatively new. Publisher 42 published this this year in 2013. So my guess is more will show up on the American Market. Sure would look cool in a yellow slab with a Mignola sig on it for any yellow label collectors.... but alas that isnt my style man! lol

Russians are often very good at lettering design. After all, the Cyrillic alphabet was invented by St. Cyril and St. Methodius. :)

Isn’t 42 the publisher of those russian "super-hero" like books?

Thanks. but for the Vampirella #1, I see the wall coming very fast, the missing Chilean, Turkish and French one will be very very hard to find. By the way, I'm back to 15 foreign for Vampirella, I always forget about the French color version of the 3f50 september 70 version. :blush:

Quick question about the foreign language variants but do the variants contain mostly the same content as the original books or are they just cover variants with different interiors?

@ Eerie... Yea dude, your the expert on this set.... come March ya better have your ducks in a row cuz we publish your vampi quick fact right or wrong! lol No Pressure..... lol

@ 50AE_DE... The short answer is sometimes... sometimes not... and sometimes its complicated.... For the more comprehensive answer I am going to quote from the article I wrote about foreigns.....

Further complicating the matter is the fact that many foreign companies chose to take American editorial contents and combine them into their own unique specific release. Lets say for example the French decide to license Batman issue 227. They use a version of 227’s American cover, but include not only the editorial content of 227 but 228’s and 229’s story in the comic as well. So which variant is it? 227’s, 228’, or 229’s? The easy answer is all of them are. Playing devil’s advocate you could say the answer being 227’s only, however, for a key piece of the others is missing, the cover.

Even more perplexing is some companies decide to use completely different cover art than the American books. Either brand new art created by foreign artists or even different American issue art! So you could have a Batman 227 story in a book with 229’s cover. This mis-marriage of covers and interiors or lack of defined parameters is another reason why some American collectors choose not to deal with the complexity of foreign comic books.

I know... I was impressed the way the handled the Hellboy logo as well... I did a little research and apparently this is relatively new. Publisher 42 published this this year in 2013. So my guess is more will show up on the American Market. Sure would look cool in a yellow slab with a Mignola sig on it for any yellow label collectors.... but alas that isnt my style man! lol

Russians are often very good at lettering design. After all, the Cyrillic alphabet was invented by St. Cyril and St. Methodius. :)

Isn’t 42 the publisher of those russian "super-hero" like books?

As far as I know no... hm They are currently publishing Hellboy, Kirkman's Invincible, and Miller's Hard boiled. I think they are collecting into trades Walking Dead for the Russian Market as well.... :gossip:

I got this book in today. It completes the run from 1-6.

FantasticFour3UnitedKingdom_zps1ce5b113.jpg

th_FantasticFour1UnitedKingdom.jpgth_FantasticFour2UnitedKingdom.jpgth_FantasticFour3UnitedKingdom_zps1ce5b113.jpgth_FantasticFour4UnitedKingdom_zps9afe5995.jpgth_FantasticFour5bUnitedKingdom.jpgth_FantasticFour6aUnitedKingdom_zps4716901f.jpg

Congrats Tim! I know you have been working on this for a long while! :applause::applause:

Very cool. I always thought it was interesting that these Alan Cass books were coming out at the same time Marvel was selling pence copies in the U.K., and also that Cass seemed to reprint everything except DC; from Atlas/Marvel to Archie Adventure/Mighty Comics to Charlton to ACG. Throw in the L. Miller & Sons books, Mystic and Spellbound from the same era and the history of Marvel in the U.K. gets confusing.

About when would these have been on the stands, 1965?

Magazine-sized italian Marvel books… :cloud9:

(That’s where I read the early stories, those were anthologic reprints of the various series: also the only occasion where the Avengers had a proper italian title, as originally they were a Thor backup feature here).

Just some found pictures, not from my collection.

hpim0813o.jpg

This is the second edition of FF #1 (includes #2 and partially #3):

FkpPyf9l.jpg

th_FantasticFour1UnitedKingdom.jpgth_FantasticFour2UnitedKingdom.jpgth_FantasticFour3UnitedKingdom_zps1ce5b113.jpgth_FantasticFour4UnitedKingdom_zps9afe5995.jpgth_FantasticFour5bUnitedKingdom.jpgth_FantasticFour6aUnitedKingdom_zps4716901f.jpg

Congrats Tim! I know you have been working on this for a long while! :applause::applause:

Very cool. I always thought it was interesting that these Alan Cass books were coming out at the same time Marvel was selling pence copies in the U.K., and also that Cass seemed to reprint everything except DC; from Atlas/Marvel to Archie Adventure/Mighty Comics to Charlton to ACG. Throw in the L. Miller & Sons books, Mystic and Spellbound from the same era and the history of Marvel in the U.K. gets confusing.

I'm not really sure, for whatever reason Alan Class didn't have a publication date printed anywhere that I could find. If I had to guess I'd put them in the range anywhere from 1962-1965 though.

I do know that I worked on this run for about three years, in that time I saw at least two Pence copies of every FF from 1-6 for sale but not other copies of these. I have no idea what the print runs were like but they don't seem to be very plentiful.

I'm not really sure, for whatever reason Alan Class didn't have a publication date printed anywhere that I could find. If I had to guess I'd put them in the range anywhere from 1962-1965 though.

I do know that I worked on this run for about three years, in that time I saw at least two Pence copies of every FF from 1-6 for sale but not other copies of these. I have no idea what the print runs were like but they don't seem to be very plentiful.

I'm not surprised, I think they stay locked up in collections. I used to see the non-hero Cass and Miller squarebound books all the time in the 90s ( Koch Comics used to throw them in as freebies), but never the superhero covers. I didn't even know they existed for the longest time. I love the juxtaposition of early Marvel covers with horror comic sounding titles. For me the coolest La Prensa Marvels are the Thor books under the Cuentos de Brujas title.

I'm not surprised, I think they stay locked up in collections. I used to see the non-hero Cass and Miller squarebound books all the time in the 90s ( Koch Comics used to throw them in as freebies), but never the superhero covers. I didn't even know they existed for the longest time. I love the juxtaposition of early Marvel covers with horror comic sounding titles. For me the coolest La Prensa Marvels are the Thor books under the Cuentos de Brujas title.

My understanding was that the Alan Class stuff was unauthorized material? (shrug) Marvel might have even sent a cease and desist letter? Tim, were you the one telling me this? You have to remember that in an age of no Internet…. intellectual property theft was easy…. For the life of me I cant remember where I heard that, I could be full of mess but I think the rarity of these books even over the UK pence copies is pretty much set in stone. hm

And, I agree they have a kind of novelty that makes them sooo much more unique then the pence/or marvel UK issues. :cloud9:

Edited by Define999

The British horror comic fanzine From The Tomb had some extensive articles about Alan Cass publications, but I've forgotten the details. I have them buried somewhere, but they would be an interesting reread.

That Brazilian Spectre is so cool. Is it the same contents as the Adventure it's taken from?

As for the Cap book, do Panini comics come pre-pressed?

What do you mean by "pre-pressed"?

They use a different cover paper stock, but not much thicker than the US one.

I don't know about the Spectre, I don't have the US edition. If you can post a pic of the first page I can check.

I don't have the book anymore, but it's Adventure Comics #438, and has a 10 page story related to the cover as well as the first two chapters of a Seven Soldiers of Victory story.

That Brazilian Spectre is so cool. Is it the same contents as the Adventure it's taken from?

In the U.S., U.K. and Canada panini refers to pressed and toasted sandwiches. It was a weak joke.

Yes, that's the same book

Thanks, checking GCD it looks like EBAL just started the series with the 4th Spectre appearance in Adventure. Would be a cool run to have.

A Maior (2ª Série) seems to mean something like "The Best ( 2nd series)". I couldn't find out what the 1st series might have been.

In the U.S., U.K. and Canada panini refers to pressed and toasted sandwiches. It was a weak joke.

lol Im American and that even went over my head! :roflmao: