• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,877 posts in this topic

@wdb23: Do you have the one below? It’s a hardcover "What If" type single story produced by two italian authors (one is a Disney comics author as well).

I have not read it (and don’t like it) although I am a big Dr. Strange fan, but since you are a completist I thought it may interest you (it‘s unpublished in USA).

YOUNG_DOCTOR_STRANGE001.jpg

@wdb23: Do you have the one below? It’s a hardcover "What If" type single story produced by two italian authors (one is a Disney comics author as well).

I have not read it (and don’t like it) although I am a big Dr. Strange fan, but since you are a completist I thought it may interest you (it‘s unpublished in USA).

Awesome! Found one on Amazon!

Thank you for the heads up!

Awesome! Found one on Amazon!

Thank you for the heads up!

In the story there is the young Mordo as well… ;)

I’m always surprised when you find italian books on Amazon.com – if they are from US sellers they are often overpriced but I see there is a used copy from Deastore.

Anyway, if you need something from Italy let me know (we never had a Dr. Strange title, as it was published as a backup feature, but there is a short run of Defenders).

Arrived today. This one is from Barcelona. It only has Dr. Strange on the cover, but not inside. It reprints a bunch of early Fantastic Four comics but not #27 (which this is the American cover for!) Still, one of the only times Jack Kirby ever drew Dr. Strange!

pocketdeases24.jpg

Back cover:

pocketdeases24back.jpg

Thats pretty cool... (thumbs u im curious.... How many Strange books total do you have in your collection? Largest in the world maybe? hm

I have heard about the Germans way of grading and how their grading scale was pretty advanced? Do you know about it? Is it similar to the 10 point CGC scale we have here? Curious now..... I have also been told by some that of all the countries in Europe the Germans were the most obsessed about grade and condition. High grade CGC-able German books are more readily available I have seemed to notice and been told by some others? is this true in your opinion? hm

This is the answer about the german grading scale:

http://www.comicguide.de/php/faq.php?nr=205

now, all we need, is someone who speaks german.

Perhaps I can help :cool:. Any specific question?

What? This old thing? lol

AmazingSpiderMan1Israel_zpsb0d7c5e1.jpg

You'd have to give me an idea of what's available from Sweden (link to a database or auction site?). I'm sure there's probably stuff I'd be interested in picking up but haven't really looked into Swedish books too much. I've been kind of focused in other parts of the world.

Thats pretty cool... (thumbs u im curious.... How many Strange books total do you have in your collection? Largest in the world maybe? hm

It's either my collection or Peter's over at Sanctum Sanctorum Comix that's the largest Dr. Strange collection in the world. He has a few things I don't, and I have a few things he's missing.

I do have more foreign editions, original art, and trading cards than him, but together we pretty much have everything.

You'd have to give me an idea of what's available from Sweden (link to a database or auction site?). I'm sure there's probably stuff I'd be interested in picking up but haven't really looked into Swedish books too much. I've been kind of focused in other parts of the world.

There is a database with pictures at www.seriesam.com.

Marvelserien covers: http://www.seriesam.com/cgi-bin/guide?s=marvelserien&covers=ON

Spindelmannen covers: http://www.seriesam.com/cgi-bin/guide?s=spindelmannen&covers=ON

If you're interested in anything else, let me know.

In the story there is the young Mordo as well… ;)

I’m always surprised when you find italian books on Amazon.com – if they are from US sellers they are often overpriced but I see there is a used copy from Deastore.

Anyway, if you need something from Italy let me know (we never had a Dr. Strange title, as it was published as a backup feature, but there is a short run of Defenders).

PM me a list of Defenders issues you have! Does the Italian Defenders series have a cover gallery online?

Browse this page (and the following) for a full list of Albi dei Super-Eroi (A.S.E.), the antology title which published the Defenders in Italy:

http://atomik67.altervista.org/COMICS-EDITORI/CORNO/ASE-DOCUMENTI/ASE_Crono_1.htm

ASE1.JPG

Poster included with issue #1:

M1.JPG

#1 is quite common and pretty cheap, but if one wants it with the original stickers and poster which came with it it can be costly (sticker is especially rare). Here’s an ongoing auction on eBay.it:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ASE-N-1-CORNO-I-DIFENSORI-PRIMA-EDIZIONE-OTTIMO-CON-POSTER-E-IL-RARO-ADESIVO-/321246006654?pt=Fumetti_Occidentali&hash=item4acbc10d7e

Last issue published in A.S.E. is Defenders #11, then Hulk and the Defenders got their own, not so long lasting (44 issues), title, "Hulk e i Difensori":

H&D1.JPG

Here’s a full run on sale on eBay.it: http://www.ebay.it/itm/HULK-E-I-DIFENSORI-SERIE-COMPLETA-1-44-ED-CORNO-ANNO-1975-76-OTTIMO-/380449232843

After that, a short lived Defenders series was published. I picked a number of those at the newsstand when I was a kid, and have a strong affection to the last issues (15 in total, up to Defenders #59), especially the last one:

DIF15.JPG

After this issue, the publisher was doing badly, and cancelled the title. I remained in a suspended state of anguish, as I truly believed Dr. Strange was dead. Great stuff. :)