• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

Finally shot all my Arabic Supes... pretty neat books....

Arabic_superman_1.jpg

Arabic_superman_2.jpg

Arabic_superman_3.jpg

Arabic_superman_4.jpg

Interesting issues you have in your Arabic Supes ... I do notice how the Arabic publishers cover all female superheroes with pin-ups of male characters. I guess it's in accord of their muslin views. Still, it is cool to see different looks of comics!

Thats pretty cool... (thumbs u im curious.... How many Strange books total do you have in your collection? Largest in the world maybe? hm

It's either my collection or Peter's over at Sanctum Sanctorum Comix that's the largest Dr. Strange collection in the world. He has a few things I don't, and I have a few things he's missing.

I do have more foreign editions, original art, and trading cards than him, but together we pretty much have everything.

Awesome! Amazing feat...... :o:applause: I bet you are getting stoked about the possibility of a Strange movie or tv show..... :gossip:

I don't know much about this company or title, but it appears to be an anthology of some sort. One Jughead, one Josie and a GI Jane :cloud9:

Scan-131110-0040_zps050ca7f6.jpg

Scan-131110-0044_zps2af40bf5.jpg

Scan-131110-0043_zps84e9bafe.jpg

Considering how old and tough the early Mexican issues can be these are in pretty darn nice condition! Great books man.... Thanks for sharing! :applause:

Finally shot all my Arabic Supes... pretty neat books....

Arabic_superman_1.jpg

Arabic_superman_2.jpg

Arabic_superman_3.jpg

Arabic_superman_4.jpg

Interesting issues you have in your Arabic Supes ... I do notice how the Arabic publishers cover all female superheroes with pin-ups of male characters. I guess it's in accord of their muslin views. Still, it is cool to see different looks of comics!

yea art was altered for sure for the Arabics.... And that is even considering the fact that these were printed in Lebanon. A known liberal bastion of the Arab world... lots of universities and places of higher learning. For me though nothing beats the reading style of the Arabic and Hebrew books! :gossip: Spines on the right are just freakin cool man...... :cloud9:

1422427_172234626317867_1696502316_n.jpg

1450977_172234616317868_998465355_n.jpg

Nice haul Mijael! (thumbs u I must say that is the nicest Prensa 1st Black Panther I have seen. You dont seem to see this book as much for whatever reason. maybe with the movie news more will pop out of the woodwork. hm

yea art was altered for sure for the Arabics.... And that is even considering the fact that these were printed in Lebanon. A known liberal bastion of the Arab world... lots of universities and places of higher learning. For me though nothing beats the reading style of the Arabic and Hebrew books! :gossip: Spines on the right are just freakin cool man...... :cloud9:

So... Where are the arabic Spideys?

I've seen one or two but nothing that really sparked my interest enough to buy. The prices were high, grades low and were in an album format rather than individual issues.

I've seen one or two but nothing that really sparked my interest enough to buy. The prices were high, grades low and were in an album format rather than individual issues.

That's about what I've seen, too. My guess is that there is a very limited (if any at all) knowledge in the arab countries about what collectors in foreign countries are interested in. Either that, or the dealers and collectors who sit on the arab spideys don't know how to use a scanner.

Oop vs. Xounk, who wins?

In Greek they sound like rejected pre-hero monster names.

Actually "Oop" is precisely "Thor", phonetically.

The first one you mistaken for a "O" is a uppercase Theta (see the dot within the circle, it’s one of the graphical forms of the letter).

The second "O" is indeed an Omicron.

The "P" is actually a "R" sound (the Rho).

So you have "Thor", exactly as in English. They just transliterated the names the way they sound in English. :)

Oop vs. Xounk, who wins?

The first one you mistaken for a "O" is a uppercase Theta (see the dot within the circle, it’s one of the graphical forms of the letter).

So you have "Thor", exactly as in English. They just transliterated the names the way they sound in English. :)

Is there anything you don't know? I swear you're a walking encyclopedia. That's not a bad thing though. (thumbs u

Oop vs. Xounk, who wins?

Is there anything you don't know? I swear you're a walking encyclopedia. That's not a bad thing though. (thumbs u

lol

If you only knew how actually ignorant I am.

I recognize (vaguely, and not even all the letters) the greek alphabet just because I picked up an interest while toying with the idea of designing greek versions of my typefaces (never completed one in full) and for my interest in the scriptures, so I caressed the idea of studying ancient Greek (without having studied Latin). Ended up that I realized it was too much of a tough task. :P