• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,886 posts in this topic

Got a couple more books in today.

th_2001ASpaceOdyssey1Greece_zpsf267a89d.jpgth_CreaturesOnTheLoose31Greece_zps326ab024.jpgth_LukeCage1Inhumans1Greece_zpsec436c61.jpgth_MarvelClassicComics15Greece_zps11973f86.jpgth_SavageSwordofConan24Greece_zps32c039d1.jpg

th_StarWars1Greece_zpsc64556aa.jpgth_Avengers12CapMarvel28Greece_zps51b292cf.jpgth_Avengers13CapMarvel29Greece_zpsa59239b1.jpgth_ConantheBarbarian1Greece_zps8fe8ce31.jpgth_ConantheBarbarian2Greece_zpsbf34258b.jpg

th_ConantheBarbarian3Greece_zps5d8d4293.jpgth_IncredibleHulk102Greece_zps5d2fe65c.jpgth_IncredibleHulk103Greece_zps2cb138e1.jpgth_IronMan1Greece_zpsb263fd6b.jpgth_IronMan2Greece_zps9be3da07.jpg

th_JourneyIntoMystery125Greece_zpse52d03f8.jpgth_TombofDracula6Greece_zps40afbbd1.jpgth_TombofDracula7Greece_zpsa7376f95.jpgth_SkulltheSlayer1WBN1Greece_zps1e48cc3b.jpg

Just noticed that: love it! – Odysseia 2001 – no title is better suited for Greek transliteration! :D

"Airon Man" is also a nice bonus… :cool:

"Avengers" and "Hulk" are probably translated, as the sound does not make sense in english… hm

Hey, I need a greek FF #1… :baiting:

Here is my only contribution to this thread, which has got me thinking about dabbling in foreign books. Not so much the Silver through modern stuff that seems most popular on this thread, but esoteric 40s and 50s stuff that mirrors my U.S. comic collecting interests. The following book is only in fair condition, but I doubt I'll see another anytime soon.

Grandes Detectives 18 reprints Charlton's Johnny Dynamite 12. I've only seen an image of one other issue of the title which appears to reprint an issue of Public Defender from Charlton. I'm a Johnny Dynamite fan (though mainly of the pre-code Comic Media stories), so I had to have this, especially as the cover is neither taken from any of the original series nor from the stories inside this issue. I'm not sure where it's from, but there are a couple Charlton books I don't have with JD stories, so perhaps it's stolen from one of those. He's called Juan Dinamita in these stories.

Interestingly it was published by Export Newspaper Service INc. 345 Madison Ave NY, and printed by Eastern Color, but distributed exclusively in Mexico.

DINAMITA001_zps10d7f2e0.jpg

Got a couple more books in today.

th_2001ASpaceOdyssey1Greece_zpsf267a89d.jpgth_CreaturesOnTheLoose31Greece_zps326ab024.jpgth_LukeCage1Inhumans1Greece_zpsec436c61.jpgth_MarvelClassicComics15Greece_zps11973f86.jpgth_SavageSwordofConan24Greece_zps32c039d1.jpg

th_StarWars1Greece_zpsc64556aa.jpgth_Avengers12CapMarvel28Greece_zps51b292cf.jpgth_Avengers13CapMarvel29Greece_zpsa59239b1.jpgth_ConantheBarbarian1Greece_zps8fe8ce31.jpgth_ConantheBarbarian2Greece_zpsbf34258b.jpg

th_ConantheBarbarian3Greece_zps5d8d4293.jpgth_IncredibleHulk102Greece_zps5d2fe65c.jpgth_IncredibleHulk103Greece_zps2cb138e1.jpgth_IronMan1Greece_zpsb263fd6b.jpgth_IronMan2Greece_zps9be3da07.jpg

th_JourneyIntoMystery125Greece_zpse52d03f8.jpgth_TombofDracula6Greece_zps40afbbd1.jpgth_TombofDracula7Greece_zpsa7376f95.jpgth_SkulltheSlayer1WBN1Greece_zps1e48cc3b.jpg

Just noticed that: love it! – Odysseia 2001 – no title is better suited for Greek transliteration! :D

"Airon Man" is also a nice bonus… :cool:

"Avengers" and "Hulk" are probably translated, as the sound does not make sense in english… hm

Hey, I need a greek FF #1… :baiting:

I got you covered. ;)

in case anyone interested i made friends with this dealer over a year ago and he dug this out of his warehouse he got it out of buying out a large collection. Its in pretty excellent shape for a Novaro. He is up to sell it if anyone interested i can forward his email

20131124_112944_zps7af4c921.jpg

20131124_112951_zpse620d44a.jpg

20131124_113104_zps49ac7ca5.jpg

20131124_113112_zpsc138103a.jpg

Here is my only contribution to this thread, which has got me thinking about dabbling in foreign books. Not so much the Silver through modern stuff that seems most popular on this thread, but esoteric 40s and 50s stuff that mirrors my U.S. comic collecting interests. The following book is only in fair condition, but I doubt I'll see another anytime soon.

Grandes Detectives 18 reprints Charlton's Johnny Dynamite 12. I've only seen an image of one other issue of the title which appears to reprint an issue of Public Defender from Charlton. I'm a Johnny Dynamite fan (though mainly of the pre-code Comic Media stories), so I had to have this, especially as the cover is neither taken from any of the original series nor from the stories inside this issue. I'm not sure where it's from, but there are a couple Charlton books I don't have with JD stories, so perhaps it's stolen from one of those. He's called Juan Dinamita in these stories.

Interestingly it was published by Export Newspaper Service INc. 345 Madison Ave NY, and printed by Eastern Color, but distributed exclusively in Mexico.

DINAMITA001_zps10d7f2e0.jpg

I love it when a comic comes with a story

Since rpjb posted that foreign Johnny Dinamite (very interesting) – I’ll post my Spyder #3, which contains the (only) italian edition of Steve Ditko's Mr. A (#1).

From 1969.

UtZAOs8h.jpg

Nice cover, who did it? That's early enough that it would be publishing the Mr. A story or stories from Witzend . Cool that something as esoteric as that was considered worthy of translation that early.

Going the other direction my favorite Italian comic creator is Vittorio Giardino, as much for his storytelling as his art. Unfortunately if a comic doesn''t get published by a couple small companies ( mostly Fantagraphics or NBM) it generally doesn't get translated for the U.S. market, so it's hard to know what one is missing.

Nice cover, who did it? That's early enough that it would be publishing the Mr. A story or stories from Witzend . Cool that something as esoteric as that was considered worthy of translation that early.

Going the other direction my favorite Italian comic creator is Vittorio Giardino, as much for his storytelling as his art. Unfortunately if a comic doesn''t get published by a couple small companies ( mostly Fantagraphics or NBM) it generally doesn't get translated for the U.S. market, so it's hard to know what one is missing.

I think the cover is from some Witzend, as the material inside is probably all from the same source. The Mr. A sory is the one from Witzend #4 (or both from #3 and #4, I should check as I don’t have the Witzends but just the first Ditko magazine/fanzine which reprinted them in full). and indeed it is very unusual for an italian edition to be so close to the original date. This actually predates almost ALL italian Marvels, except for Sgt. Fury and the very early editions of FF #1 and #5, which were published in 1966-67.

I know what you talk about. Comics which in their native country or area are huge are often neglected, or aimed at the wrong market. Not to mention our italian Disney stories, which have been published worldwide (and started as early as the 1930s) but it took over thirty years to have a selection published in USA, thanks to Gladstone (and later some from Disney, Gemstone, Boom).

Mexican Adventure Comics 431, 1st Spectre issue.... :)

Espectro_zps6c700ec1.jpg

Greek Secret Wars 7

greekSW7_zps1b2fb02d.jpg

Mexican edition of Showcase 79, 1st App of Dolphin....it was hard to find, all beat up..I still :cloud9:

Delfina_zpsacb49bfa.jpg

Mexican House of Secrets 123...A'la Garbage Pail kids.. :)

cucuy_zpse159050c.jpg