• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Those are really very cool,where can I find some?

These local prints are very hard to find. The super heroes were printed circa 1980-81. Harveys probably a few years prior.

Finding collectors from that era is nearly an impossible task, antique/ used book shops are your best bet but since most shop owners are aware of the collectibility of these sometimes they'd ask for an arm or a leg. I asked a fellow collector who was an exhibitor at a recent toy convention and he implied the same. :(

I sometimes find them cheap at flea markets but being out of print for over 30 years, it happens very rarely.

You could always ask Define999 and LSComics if they'd sell you any. ;)

Dekada_collectibles (Philippine-based) of ebay always has some for sale.

That's the reason I proudly display my finds here even if they're pretty beat-up. :grin:

Define and LSC, I found some G.I. Joe (Atlas, circa 1995) and Archies (Alemars), would these be an easy sell? I know I collected Archies before but...

Heck yea hard to find! :gossip:

My opinion is that the Filipino bookstore foreigns are some of the most rare and desirable foreigns for those that know this niche well.

They are super cool.....

Any of the Joe collectors if they are into the foreign ones will be interested in the joes. The Archies might be a harder sell but I think if you wait you might be able to find a buyer..... hm

Picked these 2 up today at a small local show just because I thought they were cool. The Marvel Tales reprints both AF15 and ASM 1

HebrewMarvelTales0001_zpse60e276b.jpg

HebrewASM1190001_zpsd3e7fd12.jpg

These books drip with novel interest... the Hebrew and Arabic foreigns are super cool with their right heavy spines. Nice...... (thumbs u

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. This feels like some nerd version of standing up at an AA meeting so here it goes..... I have a serious problem, a longtime addiction to foreign collecting. My collection was once English only key issues but then it happened, I was bitten by the bug. In the years since it has only got worse. I wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat, unable to sleep until I hunt a little more. The most anyone has ever seen of my collection is the spines. I've been happy to find a group for sick individuals like myself with a venue to lay bare our shame. I can only imagine the first con the FCC mag attends...... An handful of people coming to congratulate you on your bravery, while and endless stream of cosplayers and traditional collectors gawk at you as they pass like an LGBT booth at the RNC. All jokes aside its been great catching up on what's been going on here. In the weeks ahead I hope to photograph some of my collection and show it for the first time. I have alot of things not represented yet, and a somewhat different focus than the collections I've seen here. Thanks to everyone that has been contributing to this community, I just hope I can add to it.

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. This feels like some nerd version of standing up at an AA meeting so here it goes..... I have a serious problem, a longtime addiction to foreign collecting. My collection was once English only key issues but then it happened, I was bitten by the bug. In the years since it has only got worse. I wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat, unable to sleep until I hunt a little more. The most anyone has ever seen of my collection is the spines. I've been happy to find a group for sick individuals like myself with a venue to lay bare our shame. I can only imagine the first con the FCC mag attends...... An handful of people coming to congratulate you on your bravery, while and endless stream of cosplayers and traditional collectors gawk at you as they pass like an LGBT booth at the RNC. All jokes aside its been great catching up on what's been going on here. In the weeks ahead I hope to photograph some of my collection and show it for the first time. I have alot of things not represented yet, and a somewhat different focus than the collections I've seen here. Thanks to everyone that has been contributing to this community, I just hope I can add to it.
I'm sure everyone will agree that we definitely look forward to seeing those pics. Don't feel bad, from the sound of it I was in pretty much the same state (in terms of collecting) as you once upon a time. With very few exceptions I've pretty much purged my collection of US material and have turned to strictly foreign editions.

As far as FCC attending Indiana Comic Con... I think it's safe to say that Matt (Define999) and I will be perfectly happy with the results. It's not like we're selling anything so recouping expenses isn't a concern, we just want to raise the awareness about this niche of ours. IIRC the projected attendance is around 10,000 people for the weekend. Even if we're only able to get 1% of those people to take a serious look at what we're doing I know I'll consider it a success.

I'm sure everyone will agree that we definitely look forward to seeing those pics. Don't feel bad, from the sound of it I was in pretty much the same state (in terms of collecting) as you once upon a time. With very few exceptions I've pretty much purged my collection of US material and have turned to strictly foreign editions.

As far as FCC attending Indiana Comic Con... I think it's safe to say that Matt (Define999) and I will be perfectly happy with the results. It's not like we're selling anything so recouping expenses isn't a concern, we just want to raise the awareness about this niche of ours. IIRC the projected attendance is around 10,000 people for the weekend. Even if we're only able to get 1% of those people to take s serious look at what we're doing I know I'll consider it a success.

Dude... welcome to the boards! (thumbs u

Your story of sickness and weakness in the face of this niche is rare yes, but becoming more and more common. All of us that pursue this style of collecting are finding more and more adherents in our virtual travels and we often wonder how many lurkers take solace in finding their way to this thread. hm

Again welcome and like Tim said we cant wait to check out your collection. :headbang: Why collect if you cannot share with like minded peeps? Also, thanks for checking out FCC magazine! (thumbs u

Your comment about LGBT at the Repub convention made me laugh at loud bro! Tim and I are just gonna be stoked to be there and have a presence. We are not selling anything but awareness so with that in mind we are going to have a successful show no matter what. :gossip:

Ok guys... haven't gotten to much lately but what I have ended up with has been quality....

Id like to thank Solarcadet for the Aussie Supes and the Swedish TOD#1! :applause: Thanks a million dude! These books help add to their respective sets! (thumbs u

supesaussie.jpg

Supes_foreigns.jpg

todsweden1.jpg

TOD_foreignse.jpg

I also picked up and started a Captain Marvel set........

CaptainMarvel1_Aussie_yaffa.jpg

Greek_captainmarvel1.jpg

CaptainMarvel1_foregins.jpg

Now, this little baby I have to thank the Barbarian Nuno for, sweet, sweet book and currently my fav of my 129's! :applause:

Brazil129-1.jpg

Brazil_129inside.jpg

129_fo0reigns.jpg

Edited by Define999

WTTB :popcorn:

(thumbs u Matt