• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2021 at 7:03 AM, gadzukes said:

I've been picking up some of these Brazilian comics.  The covers are so colorful and unique. 

This one is doubly special because it has WWII Sub-Mariner on the front looking at a German U-Boat, and an awesome Superman WWII back cover.  I believe that Superman back cover is unique to this issue too.... has anyone seen that art on a US comic?

IMG_4911.jpeg

FullSizeRender-5.jpeg

Front cover appears to be inspired by Action Comics 11 and back cover is a redrawn Superman 13.  The fine inking on these really make them special.  Someone needs to figure out who the artist is.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:39 PM, revat said:

are these normal comic size or smaller?

They are smaller ( about digest size.) Here is a picture of them in a modern size bag and board to give you an idea.20210813_145509.thumb.jpg.0496da1c36292c57e29493d82f5fe31b.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, Yorick said:

Front cover appears to be inspired by Action Comics 11 and back cover is a redrawn Superman 13.  The fine inking on these really make them special.  Someone needs to figure out who the artist is.

I really like the green coloring of Namor on all these old GIBIs.  It seems more appropriate than human flesh color.  Good pick up of the Superman 13 cover, the Action 11..... maybe, there's similarities.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:31 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

These two showed up today from Brazil..

20210812_191329.jpg

20210812_191405.jpg

Is the last one some key issue or you just picked it up because you liked the cover? Anyway, good to know that there is a market for our ASM300.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:06 PM, Yorick said:

I read about a week ago or less, about a Finnish that worked for the "O Globo" publisher that was responsible to assemble this covers based on US covers and inner panels.

Today's delivery from CGC brought me several foreign books. As always, I remain a terribly unskilled photographer of slabbed books. Or anything else, really.

First up is this weird thing that I've discussed on the boards previously. It's the German edition of EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark, released over two years after the English book, and well after everyone had abandoned efforts to spin off the MMORPG franchise to the comic book format. That isn't strange in and of itself, but this wasn't a general release book like most foreign republications. Rather, it was a 999 copy limited edition that was a convention exclusive at the 2004 Erlangen Comic-Salon. I really have no idea why this came to be, but the German comic industry has done some very strange things with their republications over the years. Extremely happy that this came back 9.8.

PXL_20210817_141720100.thumb.jpg.bfb209a552af40bd9a6ac895b811e0cc.jpg

Speaking of German , Reprodukt reprinted Charles Burns's indie masterpiece Black Hole. Except instead of republishing all 12 issues normally (which is what the Spanish republisher did), Reprodukt opted to produce six double-length books, each containing two issues of the original publication. They also opted to make some odd choices for which covers to use, especially for issue #1, which has the cover from the English #7. I had some concerns about how CGC would label these, given that they reuse (with modified title fonts and colors in some cases) the covers from the original series. But I believe they got them exactly right. Each one is Black Hole #n (in the correct order), with a boldface German Edition and a note indicating the two issues of the English series that are republished therein (so the Reprodukt Black Hole #1 says "Contains Black Hole #1-2".

You may note that I said there were six German issues, but I've only posted four slabs here. My copies of #5 and #6 suffered a bit of a bend to the bottom right corner (while at the publisher's, actually, not even in shipping!). In any case, both books are awaiting a round of pressing. I'm fairly confident that the defects will press out of #5. We'll ... see about #6. In any case, they're going to have to wait until later this year to join their friends on the shelf.

PXL_20210817_142116675.thumb.jpg.d33d3204d81efda1c36da82fb920d3a3.jpg

On 8/17/2021 at 8:53 AM, Kromak said:

Is the last one some key issue or you just picked it up because you liked the cover? Anyway, good to know that there is a market for our ASM300.

The last one is the one I have been actually after. It is the only Todd McFarlane Superman Cover. That art was originally done for the Superman Special #1 but was featured as one of the internal pages.

Spoiler

20210817_161241.thumb.jpg.9d80724894b5fd5faafb5f12d784f9d9.jpg20210817_161256.thumb.jpg.43583ca5be496bf812e5a57702c9fc9a.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 1:21 PM, Kromak said:

These original (painted ?) French covers looks great

Thanks, that's what I thought at the time.

And I think they were pricey so I only got a couple of examples.

Doesn't matter if I vacation in the States or overseas. I always hit up the local comic book stores to see what they have.

And you see some interesting sights doing so.

Cat sitting on comics outside another comic book store in the old part of Avigon.

Screenshot_20210819-134909.thumb.png.8fcf963e35b53706641342d210a66bae.png