• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning

233 posts in this topic

Awesome report guys! I'd love to of taken the trip. Maybe it's a show I should put on my radar. Since, I'm a hockey fan too, it would be a good excuse to visit Canada for the first time and bring the family.

No need to worry about spring hockey in Calgary for the next few years....... :devil:

Awesome report guys! I'd love to of taken the trip. Maybe it's a show I should put on my radar. Since, I'm a hockey fan too, it would be a good excuse to visit Canada for the first time and bring the family.

would be great to meet you in person Darth as we have such similar interests in our books ( pre=code horror) and we are both artists.

Quick question: were any dealers selling original artwork? (shrug)

With so many artists at the show any dealer who did have original art didn't sell it. Yes there were a few.

Looks like a great time. Some decent looking ladies there too. Is that Sunshine Girl?

Yes

Pretty much summed up already, but here's my experience!

Flew in to Calgary at around 6:30 Friday night, picked up a pizza and watched Iron Man 2 with my Aunt and her boyfriend. Lots of fun!

Saturday couldn't come quick enough. Got to the show just after 10 and met John (one of Harley's guys) who gave me my pass. Met up with Harley and Nick, and hung out with them for a bit. Was quickly off and buying books. Met Dave, Brian and Carl and later met Piper. Bought a book from Dave and hung out at their booth for a bit. Tried to go to the DWC booth a few times but like others have said, the media area was so packed it was ridiculous. Managed to get there later in the day and met Sharon.

As the show closed down, a bunch of us went to Chilli's and had a great dinner (thanks so much Dave!) and Brian was gracious enough to drive me all the way out to my Aunt's. :foryou: My uncle and cousin were visiting and we watched the last 20 minutes of the new Nightmare on Elm Street, and discussed the AMAZING amount of people there.

Sunday came quickly, and one of the first things I did was get my books signed by all my favourite creators at the show. The CAW, Lauren, was great and introduced me to Bob Layton (her boyfriend) and Arthur Suydam, who gave me a free print. What a great couple of guys! She took me around and I got my program signed for SS by (among others) Bob McLeod, Larry Hama, Ron Wagner, Arthur Suydam, Dan Parent (12 total I believe). Got a few more books signed that I will post when they get back, and subbed a few blue labels. Excited to get those back. Met board member wolf_2099 (I believe that's who it was! lol ) and talked with Sharon in detail about CGC and the backlog. Got to see Stan Lee up close again, met with roaring cheers from the crowd. Snapped a couple pics, will post later.

All in all, a fun trip! Will post some pics when I get back from school. Didn't buy much but will post what I did buy (and didn't accidentally leave at the show.... :sorry: )

No need to worry about spring hockey in Calgary for the next few years....... :devil:

Yep, at least in Edmonton, spring brings the excitement of the draft lottery. (thumbs u

Great report. Loved the story from the 14 year old buying Avengers 1.

Shame about the pictureds but here is an idea. Use the money you earned from the comics you sold to get a new camera :grin: (I need sharp pictures of all those cuties)

calgarycomicexpo2012043.jpg

While I was searching their boxes I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was a pretty lady who

was interested in a GA Submariner book. We went back to our booth and I told her

the price but it was well out of her price range. I showed her some other GA and

Atlas super hero books but she had her heart set on a book with a Submariner cover.

We probably spent an hour talking comics, the Submariner, classic covers and where

and what to buy.

Her husband patiently stood next to her for the entire time with a smile on his face

but I know he doesn't get comics like she obviously did.

I'm pretty sure this lady was fairly new to the hobby. Perhaps she came to the

show for the media guests and the gong show like draw of this event and she

noticed my book on our wall, or perhaps she had a thing for the Submariner

and had decided to come to the show and Mannup for her first big book. I'm

not sure, but I am sure that I will see at the next show and her husband will

have to patiently stand there and watch her talk comics and buy some seriously

wicked Submariner Timelys.

On Saturday Artboy had a couple teenage girls looking through his boxes. They

were just the most wonderful, bubbly, happy girls I had ever seen. I told them

that 'Girls don't buy comics' and they replied 'yes they do'. They were just an

absolute delight to tease and talk to and they were so into the show and comics.

They were pulling out books with great covers or on Artboy's recommendation

and they left our booth with a stack of cheap mid-grade BA to SA Marvels. Of

course they didn't buy a thing from me because 'girls don't buy comics' :cry:

I bet they spent 3 hours at our booth.

Yep, at least in Edmonton, spring brings the excitement of the draft lottery. (thumbs u

Just a foreshadowing of the process that Calgary has already started by letting the roster grow old. ;)

If Feaster were smart, he would dump Iggy and Kipper this year and make a hard fall for that Nathan McKinnon kid next year. He looks like the best prospect to come out in a few years.