• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is going on at heritage?

186 posts in this topic

Who knew Ben Bernanke is able to hack into GAtor's account?

the Market should hedge for healthy grow. But 1000% growth "overnight" relative to decades of 10% growth is an indicator of severe market imbalance and those markets (housing of past decade for example) correct themselves with very volitile and negative results that are far felt

lol many don't know, but my degrees are in economics and finance, even if my posts don't reflect it :blush:

I seriously doubt it is Heritage shilling, they are very well aware of these boards and the watchful eyes of collectors. I'm not saying there has never been a shill bid, or that NP does not exist, but I'm sure they are trying to figure out what is going on, too.

They'd have to be completely insane or unconscious to encourage something like this because even someone like me, who doesn't follow high priced books can see it's an aberration. I also think I might have to look through my boxes, lol;)

I'm wondering if some of the publicity just hit the right people...or as several people mentioned, it's one client with some friends.

Who knew Ben Bernanke is able to hack into GAtor's account?

the Market should hedge for healthy grow. But 1000% growth "overnight" relative to decades of 10% growth is an indicator of severe market imbalance and those markets (housing of past decade for example) correct themselves with very volitile and negative results that are far felt

lol many don't know, but my degrees are in economics and finance, even if my posts don't reflect it :blush:

I knew :hi:

If the CC auction from last month is to be believed, we've entered a new era of big money entering this market. If that's true, we all have to ask ourselves how this changes our collecting going forward, and whether as a guppy, we feel inclined to swim with these new sharks.

I have become plankton :P

I think it would be nice for Heritage to come on these boards and give us an update as to what happened with these books 2 weeks after the auction ends. We don't have to know the specific details, but if someone on Heritage said "relax guys, we had a couple of people bidding on these books in question, and the winning bidder did make the payments. As you all know anything could happen in an auction format and books could sell for way more than expected, or sometimes for considerably less." This statement would put everyone's nerves at ease and just attribute the high prices to newbie bidders that will have a tough time selling these books in the future.

I will mention again that a few months ago I won an X-Men 1 8.5 auction for 13K (+BP) - a high enough price already - and before I got the book I had an offer on it for 25K. The offer stuck and I got my money. Never saw the book in hand. Not saying this to brag (I don't flip and when I do sell it is usually for a loss) - but to deliver info...

I think it would be nice for Heritage to come on these boards and give us an update as to what happened with these books 2 weeks after the auction ends. We don't have to know the specific details, but if someone on Heritage said "relax guys, we had a couple of people bidding on these books in question, and the winning bidder did make the payments. As you all know anything could happen in an auction format and books could sell for way more than expected, or sometimes for considerably less." This statement would put everyone's nerves at ease and just attribute the high prices to newbie bidders that will have a tough time selling these books in the future.

I will mention again that a few months ago I won an X-Men 1 8.5 auction for 13K (+BP) - a high enough price already - and before I got the book I had an offer on it for 25K. The offer stuck and I got my money. Never saw the book in hand. Not saying this to brag (I don't flip and when I do sell it is usually for a loss) - but to deliver info...

And that's terrific. The information you provided puts any questions someone may have had to rest, which is what we'd be expecting from Heritage, especially since they already a had retraction on the $108k All Flash #1 bid in this auction.

That being said, a HG X-Men #1 selling for 2 times or 1.5 times FMV raises a lot less eyebrows than a semi key Superman book in mid grade selling for 10 times FMV, especially when a higher graded copy is selling for way less somewhere else (as Nearmint pointed out). I think a higher graded (9.0) copy of X-Men #1 would sell for more than $25k, so your great sale still falls within the range for an 8.5 to 9.0 copy, and especially for a major key. Maybe the new buyer saw scans of your book and thought that it could be pressed into a higher grade.

Find this hard to believe

And that's terrific. The information you provided puts any questions someone may have had to rest, which is what we'd be expecting from Heritage, especially since they already a had retraction on the $108k All Flash #1 bid in this auction.

That being said, a HG X-Men #1 selling for 2 times or 1.5 times FMV raises a lot less eyebrows than a semi key Superman book in mid grade selling for 10 times FMV, especially when a higher graded copy is selling for way less somewhere else (as Nearmint pointed out). I think a higher graded (9.0) copy of X-Men #1 would sell for more than $25k, so your great sale still falls within the range for an 8.5 to 9.0 copy, and especially for a major key. Maybe the new buyer saw scans of your book and thought that it could be pressed into a higher grade.

Disagree - I think you can get a 9.0 for 25K, give or take a few grand. But 25K is a good deal over the going rate for an 8.5 (despite the 20K sale in 2011). I mean 16K maybe, but 25K? It's way over FMV IMO...

Find this hard to believe

Like...you think I'm lying?

GPA on a X-men 1 in 9.0 for the last couple years has been roughly is 27K. Last sale was 28K

I believe you, I had some strange happen to me also.

if the Avengers movie were driving this madness, the Marvels would due at crazy high prices, not GA DCs. unless they are under advice to be ahead of the Next big things??

It's about comics in general. The Avengers simply being the latest and the biggest, and the one that dispels the naysayers who've been saying these films are on their way out.

Marvel films leading to increase in DC hero comics makes more sense than superhero films driving up values of comics featuring long-forgotten heroes, collector-based pedigrees or defunct publishers. But that happens, too. Dealers have usually managed to tie together a current comic star to promote the value of books from their inventory featuring "the other guys." And the old-school comics collectors feed this as well. To some of them it's all about the joy of collecting comics as a kid (and much less about growing up watching the character on TV or in the movies or in a video game), so they gravitate toward things that remind them of their days buying off the newsstand or flipping freshly printed pages. When new collectors come in, sparked by entirely different motivations, the old-schoolers do all they can to get them to value things the way they do. That way, some of the newbies who got interested from being a fan of Tim Burton's Batman and rarely or never read a comic, will sometimes enter the field with Batman comics and wake up someday to find himself buying Nedors from the (fill in the pedigree) collection

The Argosy Comic Book Price Guide (Argosy Bookstore, 1965) is at $1,200!!

Now, I readily admit it is very difficult to find a copy of this book and I have rarely seen one for sale, but I think I paid less than $100 within the last year for one! doh!

I was bidding on this early on. I stopped once it hit $500. I understand the rarity of the price guide, and given its untouched condition figured it would go for good money, but not 1K+. Maybe having the original mailing envelope added more value than I thought (shrug) Curious to see where it ends up

if the Avengers movie were driving this madness, the Marvels would due at crazy high prices, not GA DCs. unless they are under advice to be ahead of the Next big things??

It's about comics in general. The Avengers simply being the latest and the biggest, and the one that dispels the naysayers who've been saying these films are on their way out.

Marvel films leading to increase in DC hero comics makes more sense than superhero films driving up values of comics featuring long-forgotten heroes, collector-based pedigrees or defunct publishers. But that happens, too. Dealers have usually managed to tie together a current comic star to promote the value of books from their inventory featuring "the other guys." And the old-school comics collectors feed this as well. To some of them it's all about the joy of collecting comics as a kid (and much less about growing up watching the character on TV or in the movies or in a video game), so they gravitate toward things that remind them of their days buying off the newsstand or flipping freshly printed pages. When new collectors come in, sparked by entirely different motivations, the old-schoolers do all they can to get them to value things the way they do. That way, some of the newbies who got interested from being a fan of Tim Burton's Batman and rarely or never read a comic, will sometimes enter the field with Batman comics and wake up someday to find himself buying Nedors from the (fill in the pedigree) collection

Can't disagree. However, I think one of the allures of the Thrilling Mile High run is the fact that the buyer (likely) believes its a case of the whole being worth more then the sum of its parts. Perhaps one day, maybe a couple of years from now if enough big money players enter the market, or perhaps 25 years from now, they are hoping to sell it as a set to whoever the next lucky owner gets to be. Afterall, it is basically a unique set from the best pedigree, and will always remain desireable, even if now it becomes wholly unaffordable to all but the deepest pockets.

And folks who can spend $100 on an appetizer really enjoy words like "unique" and "pedigree", even if they can't tell you who Doc Strange is, and why his hair looks like a dead muskrat. :P

If we are indeed witnessing the dawning of a Big Money era into comics, then guys like John Verzyl can basically retire on any beach in the world that they choose. If the Mile High Thrilling run is a $600,000+ spectacle of insanity, the Marvel Mystery run all of a sudden may break every rule (and Guide multiple) we thought we knew.

Disagree - I think you can get a 9.0 for 25K, give or take a few grand. But 25K is a good deal over the going rate for an 8.5 (despite the 20K sale in 2011). I mean 16K maybe, but 25K? It's way over FMV IMO...

I didn't say it wasn't a good deal.....in fact it's a great deal. However, we are talking about a HG major key that perhaps is a potential pressing candidate into a higher grade by the new owner. The current 9.0 copy on Heritage is up to $24k ($29k with BP) before the live bidding begins. I currently own an 8.5 copy of X-Men #1 as well and am confident that the book will sell regularly for at least $25k 5 years from now. I highly doubt that a mid grade GA semi key Superman copy can sell at 10 times current FMV in that same time span.

Let's put it this way, I'd equate the X-Men #1 sale with Matt Kemp hitting 30 home runs in 1 year and then 50 the next. The 50 would be totally unexpected, but justification can be made for a great player like that. However, the Superman book would be like a player averaging 15 home runs per season, then all of a sudden hitting 150 homeruns in just one season. It's just incredulous and defies any logic!

I didn't say it wasn't a good deal.....in fact it's a great deal. However, we are talking about a HG major key that perhaps is a potential pressing candidate into a higher grade by the new owner. The current 9.0 copy on Heritage is up to $24k ($29k with BP) before the live bidding begins. I currently own an 8.5 copy of X-Men #1 as well and am confident that the book will sell regularly for at least $25k 5 years from now. I highly doubt that a mid grade GA semi key Superman copy can sell at 10 times current FMV in that same time span.

Let's put it this way, I'd equate the X-Men #1 sale with Matt Kemp hitting 30 home runs in 1 year and then 50 the next. The 50 would be totally unexpected, but justification can be made for a great player like that. However, the Superman book would be like a player averaging 15 home runs per season, then all of a sudden hitting 150 homeruns in just one season. It's just incredulous and defies any logic!

good analogy. I agree, but offered up the info as evidence to suggest it's not shilling or shadiness that's driving prices that high.

The current 9.0 copy on Heritage is up to $24k ($29k with BP) before the live bidding begins.

right. but given it's Heritage, who knows where this 9.0 will end up...

In the next CC auction as a 9.4?

Looks like I've picked a bad time to get back into collecting.

Even the obscure stuff is getting vacuumed up by mega-collectors with deep pockets.

What's next? Charlton Tiger comics going for $500 a pop? :grin:

More copies will hit the market and keep this comic around its current level in the

next 5 years.