• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PARK AVENUE COLLECTION
4 4

2,903 posts in this topic

I remember seeing this hanging by a cloths pin in the window of the corner store

on my way to school...from the "Creators of Superman"...thought about it all day.

I couldn't wait to get home to get some money to buy it...hoping it would still be

there after the long day. I even checked the window on the way home...it was still

there...now if I could only get home...get my money and get back before this treasure

was gone. As you can see, I made it!

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/495/18356807396_65e373b120_z.jpg' alt='18356807396_65e373b120_z.jpg'>

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

Luckily I found issue #2 at the same store...and then never saw a FUNNYMAN

Comic again.

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8809/18379095442_f277b7056e_z.jpg' alt='18379095442_f277b7056e_z.jpg'>FUNNYMAN #2

mm

I remember seeing this hanging by a cloths pin in the window of the corner store

on my way to school...from the "Creators of Superman"...thought about it all day.

I couldn't wait to get home to get some money to buy it...hoping it would still be

there after the long day. I even checked the window on the way home...it was still

there...now if I could only get home...get my money and get back before this treasure

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/495/18356807396_65e373b120_z.jpg' alt='18356807396_65e373b120_z.jpg'>

mm

I like it funny how covers pull us in as kids.Oh wait i still haven't grown up.Nice M

Edited by comicjack

mm

Sounds like there was just the one copy on the stand. Did the stands you bought from typically have only a few copies of each book?

mm

Sounds like there was just the one copy on the stand. Did the stands you bought from typically have only a few copies of each book?

As a rule they would only have a single copy on display.

mm

Did they have more copies and replace them when one sold? I can't imagine many collectors today buying a comic hung up with a clothes pin. I also remember hearing stories about having to ask your newsdealer for ECs "under the counter". Sure a lot easier now days...

Did they have more copies and replace them when one sold? I can't imagine many collectors today buying a comic hung up with a clothes pin. I also remember hearing stories about having to ask your newsdealer for ECs "under the counter". Sure a lot easier now days...

Not sure if they replaced them with other copies...there were so many different titles

displayed. A lot of newsstands and newsrooms would hang comics on a clothesline

with clothes pins.

I don't remember ever having to ask for an EC COMIC...but they did display them on

the top racks out of the reach of little kids.

mm

Not sure if they replaced them with other copies...there were so many different titles

with clothes pins.

I don't remember ever having to ask for an EC COMIC...but they did display them on

mm

Interesting. Did you ever ask for a comic that you thought should be on the stand but you weren't able to find it?

with clothes pins.

mm

Interesting. Did you ever ask for a comic that you thought should be on the stand but you weren't able to find it?

No...their was very little conversation between the guy behind the counter and kids.

mm

with clothes pins.

mm

No...their was very little conversation between the guy behind the counter and kids.

mm

So I guess if the comic wasn't there, you were out of luck. I remember when I was a kid in the 1960s, there always seemed to be multiple copies of books, either on the spinner racks at the local pharmacy or on the shelves of the local soda shop.

with clothes pins.

mm

mm

So I guess if the comic wasn't there, you were out of luck. I remember when I was a kid in the 1960s, there always seemed to be multiple copies of books, either on the spinner racks at the local pharmacy or on the shelves of the local soda shop.

That's why there is such inconsistency in my collection...just couldn't always find what you

were looking for and I'm sure at times it just wasn't there...and of course there was the

money factor...sometimes I would see something I wanted and by the time I got back

it was gone.

mm

with clothes pins.

mm

mm

That's why there is such inconsistency in my collection...just couldn't always find what you

were looking for and I'm sure at times it just wasn't there...and of course there was the

money factor...sometimes I would see something I wanted and by the time I got back it was gone.

mm

And the guy behind the counter would not put out another one in its place? Interesting insight into distribution strategies in those days. Apparently, at least in your area, stands would order just a few copies -- maybe just one -- of a lot of different books.

with clothes pins.

mm

mm

money factor...sometimes I would see something I wanted and by the time I got back it was gone.

mm

And the guy behind the counter would not put out another one in its place? Interesting insight into distribution strategies in those days. Apparently, at least in your area, stands would order just a few copies -- maybe just one -- of a lot of different books.

I remember that there were always bundles of magazines stacked up and the clerk piling

up the SATURDAY EVENING POST, LIFE, LOOK, COLLIERS and other magazines on the

floor in front of the racks that held PULPS and COMICS that were fanned out in slots across

the wall. I'm not sure if the store owners ordered what they had or if the distributor gave them

copies of what they thought would sell.

As far as the newsstands it always seemed to me that there was limited space for comics.

mm

I've heard the stories of people finding boxes of old comics in the attic...

well my son and daughter in-law found an old box of my comics while

cleaning out their basement. I had forgotten about them even existing...

they must have been moved along with my sons books when they bought

their house.

The box contains around 100 books...half from my Golden Age collection and the

rest Silver and Bronze Age books picked up at auctions.

As I start to go through them I see a ROCKET KELLY #1...TREASURE COMICS

#3 and #4...MARMADUKE MOUSE #1...PUPPETOONS #3...

I'll scan them as I go through them.

mm

with clothes pins.

mm

mm

mm

I remember that there were always bundles of magazines stacked up and the clerk piling

up the SATURDAY EVENING POST, LIFE, LOOK, COLLIERS and other magazines on the

floor in front of the racks that held PULPS and COMICS that were fanned out in slots across

the wall. I'm not sure if the store owners ordered what they had or if the distributor gave them

copies of what they thought would sell.

As far as the newsstands it always seemed to me that there was limited space for comics.

mm

I used to visit the drug store every Wednesday night and purchased all of the latest superhero comics after they opened the package delivered by the distributor that day. Sometimes I had to wait because they were busy. This went on from1962 to 1965. My family moved to Toledo in 1966 and I rarely went back to the old store in Monroe. I probably should have stayed in Monroe. The selection of comics was better there than at the bus stop in Ypsilanti where I attended EMU and Toledo had a multitude of drug stores but only one or two that had all of the Marvel comics published in 1966 and 1967.

Edited by BB-Gun

their house.

mm

What great news!

Can't wait to see 'em! (thumbs u

their house.

mm

What great news!

Can't wait to see 'em! (thumbs u

Thanks!

Here's the first one!

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/393/18529355105_34651162bf_z.jpg' alt='18529355105_34651162bf_z.jpg'>IMG TREASURE COMICS #4

mm