• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Robojo REALLY any different than some dealers?

286 posts in this topic

So because I didn't say something, that means I must do what I didn't say?

You run my name thru the mud repeatedly accusing me of something I never said, and then the only proof you offer is that at no point did I ever state that I don't re-grade and sell them at the higher grade. I also never said I don't abuse my children, so I guess its okay for you to publicly assume I do?

I've now explained to you why I crack slabs- several times- but you insist I must have a darker agenda. After a book is deslabbed, it goes into my for sale groups.

When someone is interested in the book, he's welcome to examine it and come to his own conclusions about the grade, and what he is willing to pay for it. As I may deslab hundreds of books in a year, I don't keep track of them all.

As my highest grade is NM, I know for a fact I've never tried to sell somebody a book I called a 9.6 that came out of a lower grade slab. I do know I've sold plenty of raw books at NM prices that could possibly slab out at 9.6 or higher.

As just one example, last year I sold FrankBears a lot of X-Men I called VF-NM.

He sent about a third in for slabbing and half of them came back as 9.8s.

That was a fine speech but in now way answered the question of wether you crack slabs and sell them at a higher grade without disclosing their prior grade. You pulled up the grade and cert # of that Arrgh 4 pretty darn quick i notice so acting like you have no idea what the prior grades were doesnt really fly too well.

So, AGAIN, Do you crack slabs and sell them at higher grades? :facepalm:

Who are you, again, that demands I answer a question about something no one but you seems to think I do? I think anything else left to be said between us should be done person to person. I'm sick of your baseless accusations.

As I see nothing wrong with the practice of non-disclosure, you assume I engage in it.

As you see nothing wrong with gay sex, should I assume you engage in it?

As you seem determined to call me a liar and a thief, I ask only that you hold off and continue this in person. I'm done here.

I have a related question:

Why crack out a slabbed book and re-sell it? Why not just sell it in the slab?

Read it? Smell the pages? (shrug)

Doubt it. Seems like he cracks out and re-sells regularly. That's not a collector wanting to read/smell a book, and then re-sell it at some later point when he doesn't want it in his collection anymore.

If someone is routinely cracking out a book and re-selling at a higher grade, it's just to make more money than one could than by selling it in the slab.

Anyway, all of this is the reason for CGC in the first place - buying raw is a risk. Plain and simple.

(fyi - i am 46, and truly miss the old days of smelling and reading the books I buy, many of which you can't find on-line or in anthologies - but if you are going to re-sell a slabbed book, just keep it in the slab, please!)

Because many people grade the book higher or many times it looks better than the assigned grade. If CGC graded it a 5.0 you could crack it out and say its around a 6.0. More potential $$. Robojo has done this, I have done this and dealers have done this. CGC if I remember correctly does not guarantee a grade.

Hey, I may not like it but i at least respect that you have the balls to tell it like it is instead of pussyfooting around it with a bunch of double talk (worship)

Dude, you gotta learn when to lighten up. You flare up into attack dog mode so easily!!

Here's a pretty flower for you :foryou:

true, but thats hardly my "attack dog" mode. You should meet my Dad! :o

hey, i'll always tell it like it is and let it be known if i dont like something. if some people dont like me for that, i can live with it :foryou:

I'll tell you what: it's one thing to "tell it like it is" and "let it be known." More power to you for that. When you do it repetitively, for page after page, and turn people off, or even against you as a result, you're alienating the wrong crowd.

So because I didn't say something, that means I must do what I didn't say?

You run my name thru the mud repeatedly accusing me of something I never said, and then the only proof you offer is that at no point did I ever state that I don't re-grade and sell them at the higher grade. I also never said I don't abuse my children, so I guess its okay for you to publicly assume I do?

I've now explained to you why I crack slabs- several times- but you insist I must have a darker agenda. After a book is deslabbed, it goes into my for sale groups.

When someone is interested in the book, he's welcome to examine it and come to his own conclusions about the grade, and what he is willing to pay for it. As I may deslab hundreds of books in a year, I don't keep track of them all.

As my highest grade is NM, I know for a fact I've never tried to sell somebody a book I called a 9.6 that came out of a lower grade slab. I do know I've sold plenty of raw books at NM prices that could possibly slab out at 9.6 or higher.

As just one example, last year I sold FrankBears a lot of X-Men I called VF-NM.

He sent about a third in for slabbing and half of them came back as 9.8s.

That was a fine speech but in now way answered the question of wether you crack slabs and sell them at a higher grade without disclosing their prior grade. You pulled up the grade and cert # of that Arrgh 4 pretty darn quick i notice so acting like you have no idea what the prior grades were doesnt really fly too well.

So, AGAIN, Do you crack slabs and sell them at higher grades? :facepalm:

Who are you, again, that demands I answer a question about something no one but you seems to think I do? I think anything else left to be said between us should be done person to person. I'm sick of your baseless accusations.

As I see nothing wrong with the practice of non-disclosure, you assume I engage in it.

As you see nothing wrong with gay sex, should I assume you engage in it?

As you seem determined to call me a liar and a thief, I ask only that you hold off and continue this in person. I'm done here.

Ive never called you a liar or a thief. You said youve done it the last time this came up and repeatedly refuse to say you dont do it. You said as much last time this came up. Anyone can draw their own conclusions what you do based on your posts here hm

And for the record, i'll repeat anything ive ever said to anyone here to their face (thumbs u

Doubt it. Seems like he cracks out and re-sells regularly. That's not a collector wanting to read/smell a book, and then re-sell it at some later point when he doesn't want it in his collection anymore.

If someone is routinely cracking out a book and re-selling at a higher grade, it's just to make more money than one could than by selling it in the slab.

Anyway, all of this is the reason for CGC in the first place - buying raw is a risk. Plain and simple.

(fyi - i am 46, and truly miss the old days of smelling and reading the books I buy, many of which you can't find on-line or in anthologies - but if you are going to re-sell a slabbed book, just keep it in the slab, please!)

If you are referring to me, I've already explained why I crack slabs on a regular basis and it most certainly is not to resell the books inside. Why not try reading the thread instead of simply reading funk's foul and baseless innuendos

If you are referring to me, I've already explained why I crack slabs on a regular basis and it most certainly is not to resell the books inside. Why not try reading the thread instead of simply reading funk's foul and baseless innuendos

weren't you done here??? :baiting:

Whoa compadre. I was actually referring to Trippy. Or anyone that regularly cracks and re-sells at a higher grade.

Whatever, this comes up once or twice a year just like pressing and people have their opinions one way or the other. I and others dont think its right and others think theirs nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Theres never going to be a right answer. I'm always gonna think its wrong no matter what anyone says and the other side is always going to think its fine no matter what i say.

So before i go into "attack dog" mode anymore, i'll let it go :foryou:

Whatever, this comes up once or twice a year just like pressing and people have their opinions one way or the other. I and others dont think its right and others think theirs nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Theres never going to be a right answer. I'm always gonna think its wrong no matter what anyone says and the other side is always going to think its fine no matter what i say.

Before you let it go, let me ask you another question.

Do you think it's acceptable for a person to buy a slab, crack it, manipulate it (take your pick of any of the menu of things you can do to a book and still get a blue label), re-slab it, and then sell the newly slabbed book without disclosing that it was in a prior slab with a different grade?

Is not disclosing that series of events ethical in your opinion?

:popcorn:

Do you think it's acceptable for a person to buy a slab, crack it, manipulate it (take your pick of any of the menu of things you can do to a book and still get a blue label), re-slab it, and then sell the newly slabbed book without disclosing that it was in a prior slab with a different grade?

That's a great question. If a former 9.2 is now a 9.6..does the buyer need to know that? What if it was a straight resub? What if the book comes back as a lower grade after resubmitting?

personally, i think everything should be disclosed. Any book i sell, i'll tell everything i know about it. i've pressed exactly 3 books in my life, my xmen 2 that everyone knows since i started a thread about it, My Avengers 4 that i also started a thread about and my Iron Fist 14. Ive never tried to sell any of those but if i did, i'd tell they were pressed.

Any book ive bought slabbed and dont know the history, i say that. Like i said, i think everything about a book should be disclosed. I dont like playing around with PLODS and GLODS and turning them into blue labels and selling them without saying a word like a certain poster in this thread but hey, thats just me (shrug)

You are truly pathetic. Now I crack open PLODs and turn them into blue labels, eh? I can also spin gold out of straw, I suppose.

No wonder you failed as an attorney, but you just might have a career in writing fiction.

Because many people grade the book higher or many times it looks better than the assigned grade. If CGC graded it a 5.0 you could crack it out and say its around a 6.0. More potential $$. Robojo has done this, I have done this and dealers have done this. CGC if I remember correctly does not guarantee a grade.

Good to know.

As you clearly cannot grade.