• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "Does Anybody Know Where This Art Is?" Thread
10 10

785 posts in this topic

Thanks Felix! :)

It's been fun watching this sequence being re-assembled throughout the years. I get a vicarious thrill when a page pops up (like the one on eBay a while back). Rooting for you to find this last page!

So has this thread resulted in anyone finding their art? just wondering. we all need to find our art!

Well... Not me, but I am grateful that people were able to indicate that the pieces I was looking for were sold at some point and exist in private collections outside of the artists' hands, so it's just a matter of time. From what I've been reading, there are a few people in the same boat as myself, but no one has reported back in here that they found something.

Edited by LastRaven

Im not really a OA collector but i've been thinking of buying some in the near future. When i was a kid, i was a huge Kelley Jones fan, especially his Batman stuff and The Hammer. I think if i ever did buy an OA, it would have to be a K.J. page, since he was a huge inspiration to me to start drawing. It would either have to be a page from The Hammer or Batman: Red Rain, Bloodstorm

I just have a couple questions, does anyone know how much his pages go for? I'd imagine his bloody and gory pages go for more.

Is there a big market for Kelley Jones stuff to where i could obtain a page easily from any of the above mentioned books? And if so, where? (Ebay, cons?)

Thanks anyone that can help/ has any info.

You can get excellent pricing data from Heritage Auction's auction archive. You do need to sign up for a free account to see the sold price, but that's easy and they won't spam you.

I searched on Kelley Jones and they've sold 15 pieces of his art. In June, they sold one you might have liked.

I've never done it, but you can send a note to the owner and make an offer.

Next up, Market Data on the CAF. It searches Heritage plus eBay and a couple of others. You need an account (free, no spam) and you will need to subscribe to go back very far, but it's not terribly expensive.

Google tells me that the Art of Comics has pages from Red Rain.

Dragonberry maintains a list of art sources. This OA board has a marketplace section that has a dealer list. You can also post a WTB for such art.

That ought to get you started.

You can get excellent pricing data from Heritage Auction's auction archive. You do need to sign up for a free account to see the sold price, but that's easy and they won't spam you.

I searched on Kelley Jones and they've sold 15 pieces of his art. In June, they sold one you might have liked.

I've never done it, but you can send a note to the owner and make an offer.

Next up, Market Data on the CAF. It searches Heritage plus eBay and a couple of others. You need an account (free, no spam) and you will need to subscribe to go back very far, but it's not terribly expensive.

Google tells me that the Art of Comics has pages from Red Rain.

Dragonberry maintains a list of art sources. This OA board has a marketplace section that has a dealer list. You can also post a WTB for such art.

That ought to get you started.

Sweet, thank you very much. I'll look into all of these. I already have a HA membership so i think i'll look there. I have never looked into OA so had no idea where to begin but this helps alot. Thanks!

When i was a kid, i was a huge Kelley Jones fan

Does this line make anyone else feel incredibly old?

lol

I knew someone would say something along those lines. I was born in '86 so i'm on the younger side of the boards here.

I could swear I've seen that WBN cover up for sale over the past 12 months

you know I think you are right, I seem to remember it was quite beat up, maybe thats why I stayed away ? Clink? :tonofbricks:

Joe

Sweet, thank you very much. I'll look into all of these. I already have a HA membership so i think i'll look there. I have never looked into OA so had no idea where to begin but this helps alot. Thanks!

You are welcome; glad to help. Be sure to let us know how the hunt goes and get a CAF gallery and post when you buy.

I should also mention that the CAF can be searched for Kelley's art. If you see a piece you like, you can politely approach the owner (through the CAF) about selling once you know what the "street price" is.

You are welcome; glad to help. Be sure to let us know how the hunt goes and get a CAF gallery and post when you buy.

I should also mention that the CAF can be searched for Kelley's art. If you see a piece you like, you can politely approach the owner (through the CAF) about selling once you know what the "street price" is.

Will do. Hopefully i'll have a piece to share with you guys sometime soon.

Thanks again! (thumbs u

I'll keep posting to :bump: this baby. I'm shameless like that.

Here's a puzzler - at least to me.

Comico did 9 issues (in 2 miniseries) of 'Star Blazers' way back in the day. Pages for this run are completely MIA.

Not sure why, it's possible anime/manga fans don't interact much with the rest of the OA crowd, or they just hold onto their pages with a more sustained passion. Or maybe a lot of the pages went to Japan and there's a language barrier.

1st Series:

Doug Rice (Penciller)

Mike Chen (Inker)

2nd Series:

Harrison Fong (Penciller)

Bill Anderson (Inker)

8jrKo.jpg

...and a few more:

9IDtw.jpg

Edited by thethedew

Here's something I've been wondering about...

Kubert did a ton of G.I. Combat covers (especially the $1.00 issues) well into the 1980s, until the book was finally cancelled. And yet, I've never seen any come up for sale, or be posted on CAF. (Of course, I could be wrong, I'm still new to collecting OA.)

Does anyone know if Kubert is still hanging on to these? I thought he opened his vault a few years ago, perhaps he doesn't want to flood the market with his material?

I could swear I've seen that WBN cover up for sale over the past 12 months

I just wanted to note that that WWbN cover is a complete masterpiece of composition. Really impressive depth in a way that isn't done these days. I don't collect horror, but it seems a lot of the old Marvel Horror covers were cleverly constructed like that.

(thumbs u

Whoever owns that one has a keeper on their hands.

AcA

Edited by thethedew