• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

while. I love the series. I have not thought a lot of about picking up any art to this series. I was at a comic show and a dealer had a few pages in the 200 to 400 range but that was almost a year ago. I tend to pick up art that ten years or older. so iam not used to picking pages from brand new stories. unless it very cheap. $ 150.00 or less. I think as more and more people are watching. the show.

there will be a run for original art from the books. I see a few big money spenders going on a buyers spree and start scooping up all the early or choice pages. and that will effect the prices staying high, iam sure the show and book will end someday. so for now I would just buy what you like and what you can afford. that,s the basic rule of original art.. and if you can turn a profit on the page in the future , that,s all good. ;]

This splash page from Issue 98 should be a good indication of the desirability and escalation potential of recent zombie small art pages:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%5Fart%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26Artist1%3DCHARLIE%2520ADLARD%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26SORT%3DCATEG%26where%5Fauctione%3Dy%26where%5Fauctions%3Dy%23Item%5F986929&id=986929

Original value of $1200 IIRC just about 18 months ago. The piece was also used as the inside cover for the WD #18 TPB. It was available for just about a week on CAF for $2100 before the seller listed it on ComicLink. It will be very interesting to see if a couple of the usual buyers compete heavily at open auction.

I saw that one when it was offered on Splash ... could probably dig out the original price from later from a spreadsheet. It sold pretty quick IIRC. I didn't like it compared to other zombie pages. For all the detail it still feels a bit heavy on white space and the 6 of the zombies are a bit more generic than some of Adlard's other work. The overall composition and scene is still pretty cool though. Overall I really don't know why it didn't do it for me... (shrug) Guess my preference still lies with the earlier issues.

I was surprised this one hit for over $200 though. Glenn and Maggie are pretty cool characters in the TV show so I guess that helped but as a page on its own out of context it goes to show they can make small gains on prices last year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141115780443?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What are the thoughts to the "Pairing" as of WD #115 of Charlie Adlard (Pencils) and Stefano Gaudiano (Inks) as far as collectability and investment potential?

They're currently sold as paired sets by Splash Page on their website as all know.

In one breath it's nice to get 2 for 1 (so to speak, but not really given the pricing) and see the creative process of pure pencils and then the published inks. Plus, the 11" x 17" sized art board used, bigger art in a standard format.

In another breath, if they're ever split up, each individual piece seems incomplete. I'm sure eventually pages will be split up and sold individually in the secondary market.

With the "All Out War" storyline (yet to be completed, so it could be remarkably epic or a shark jumping flop) launching with that issue, I wonder if there's going to be high interest. It seems like there's still lots of pages from #115 and #116, so I'm not sure if the issues of the fact that they're a lot available for purchase is:

a) they're priced higher than market bears currently for the art and is priced for impulse "gotta have it" purchases vs priced "to sell" at attractive affordable rates.

b) the rendering isn't that great as far as subject matter in the storyline yet. I read the story is starting off slow, so maybe it's the lack of characters in action.

c) the art is in 2 pieces, penciled and inked and also not pure Adlard artwork, so feels to some collectors incomplete even though it's a complete paired set.

Love the improvement in the look of the book overall. However, I hate the fact that it is done on two art boards. I have had art like that in the past and it always feels incomplete. I will be passing on all these... No big loss for Charlie though. I have been passing on new art since issue 75 or so. lol

Someone way overpaid on the 98 splash. Generic zombies, back of main characters, small art. $2000 could be easily seen with $2500 being a decent upper limit, but not 50% more.

Several well illustrated zombie pages still available on Splash Page and all indications from All Out War point to many more to come.

I picked that up last night. Couldn't pass getting a decent page featuring some decent shots of zombies, Rick, Michonne and Carl for 700. Plus, it's all Charlie art. I love the detail and look of the new art, but if it's going in my collection the art must be 100% Charlie.

I picked that up last night. Couldn't pass getting a decent page featuring some decent shots of zombies, Rick, Michonne and Carl for 700. Plus, it's all Charlie art. I love the detail and look of the new art, but if it's going in my collection the art must be 100% Charlie.

Why 100 % Charlie ? ...........No Moore or The new art in AOW ?

Well this is kinda awkward... quoting myself.

Just didn't want to type it all again. Is it just me thinking that new TWD panel pages and splashes are now way past being in an even playing field considering what alternative choices are out there at similar prices?

Looks like all the pages were still there when I checked an hour or so ago.

No takers ?

Can't afford them :grin: This may well now be the case for a lot of potential buyers looking for that one page which has a few main characters doing something interesting. Would not surprise me if more pages sit for some time as there is a decreased buyer pool. Even someone with plenty of funds has to think twice now about what they are buying.

Christmas, the change of release schedule ultimately won't have a lot to do with it. If you are looking for that one or two pages (DPS) which have something special about them then what you could end up paying now is heading towards Neal Adams or even Sandman territory. I'd say that would also cut out some serious collectors who have other priorities at that level.

I'd have to be smoking a crack pipe to choose this

http://splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=27611&ArtistId=84&Details=0&Mag=Walking+Dead&From=TDetail

over this...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1001574&GSub=143411

... as an example.

I'm not trying to take anything away from TWD here, but just illustrating how for me it's no longer in an even playing field. Going higher still there are so many Batman covers out there for less than the price of a TWD character splash ... or Wrightson pieces... or or or (shrug)

I have been trimming my TWD collection in order to buy other art. Did I sell some too early? Yes, but I was able to buy some spectacular pages in the meantime.

I would definitely rather have some great modern examples (from stories like Planet Hulk or Death of Captain America) rather than an average TWD page.

Well considering some of the prices that the B+ to A+ stuff from 1 - #48 art is fetching it's hardly unpopular. Also not as many 17 x 11 early pages popping up at a low start.

Pages at source have increased to 340 available, and even with the bi-weekly release schedule coming to an end in under a month the next issues out will be 30, 30, 48 and 32 pages as opposed to just 22. I reckon this will hit 400+ in a couple of months then. There are still cheaper pages on offer but the average price has increased to $600 now... if you take that as the starting point then close to that will get you something a little bit splashier or with the bad guy on it, or some zombie pages with minor characters. Stefano Gaudiano is also the inker for the forseeable future now. Kirkman confirmed this on his Reddit AMA. Who knew that Jerry S was going to be right about something eh? :baiting: Meaning that you are only going to be getting Adlard pencils for now with separate Stefano Gaudiano inks. I still think the key moment pages will be in demand as and when they become available but it's crept up to a level where I think everyone is going to be a little more picky about what they choose and the pool of collectors will have decreased a bit. It's going to get a bit saturated with the new... price and availability has to have an affect on the mentality/focus of collectors.

As mentioned before I am out... either as an average Joe who can't afford it or someone who has other collecting goals below that level which are personally more desirable... will just have to shift focus to cons :)

Well considering some of the prices that the B+ to A+ stuff from 1 - #48 art is fetching it's hardly unpopular. Also not as many 17 x 11 early pages popping up at a low start.

Pages at source have increased to 340 available, and even with the bi-weekly release schedule coming to an end in under a month the next issues out will be 30, 30, 48 and 32 pages as opposed to just 22. I reckon this will hit 400+ in a couple of months then. There are still cheaper pages on offer but the average price has increased to $600 now... if you take that as the starting point then close to that will get you something a little bit splashier or with the bad guy on it, or some zombie pages with minor characters. Stefano Gaudiano is also the inker for the forseeable future now. Kirkman confirmed this on his Reddit AMA. Who knew that Jerry S was going to be right about something eh? :baiting: Meaning that you are only going to be getting Adlard pencils for now with separate Stefano Gaudiano inks. I still think the key moment pages will be in demand as and when they become available but it's crept up to a level where I think everyone is going to be a little more picky about what they choose and the pool of collectors will have decreased a bit. It's going to get a bit saturated with the new... price and availability has to have an affect on the mentality/focus of collectors.

As mentioned before I am out... either as an average Joe who can't afford it or someone who has other collecting goals below that level which are personally more desirable... will just have to shift focus to cons :)

Pretty spot on assessment. Some great stuff out there if someone just wants a general page, but it's no secret that there's something special about art from issues 1-48.

... the pool of collectors will have decreased a bit.

I don't really see this happening. Sure, some people have cashed out, but overall I see more new collectors of original art (in general) than those dropping out completely.

... could be just me :sorry:

:)

I'm not saying it makes it any less desirable and I'd agree that the OA market overall has grown. Still watching how this develops and it makes me wonder if things hit a bump when they move up a tier. I was making the assumption that there are less collectors as you move towards the upper ends of any market. I haven't been around here long enough to know any better and find it hard to think of a parallel to TWD as it is in my mind stood out there on its own.

Other moderns often talked about haven't really been going for as long or have ended (only have secondary market availability) or have writing / artist teams that change. There may be a many better ways of putting this.

Just rambling... I am not pretending to bring a whole lot of insight to the table.