• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

I have no input on the price. But I like how Mark Hay has quit pricing them. The WD market is that insane :insane:

Oh and just to add a little to that this month is the first time I have seen exactly that "$Make Offer" on a panel page. Seems like zombie pages are priceless :P

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25972&ArtistId=84&Details=0&Mag=Walking+Dead&From=TDetail

The prices quoted on the newly listed #110 pages seem a little on the high side across the board. hm

I think I'm conditioned to reading Charlie Adlard's rendering of The Walking Dead and his zombies, so to a degree, Tony Moore's zombies come off a little less frightening and almost cartoonish caricatures from my perspective, but again, that's just my opinion as a reader. My favorite artists of zombie work includes Sean Phillips "Marvel Zombies", Greg Land "Ultimate Fantastic Four where the Marvel Zomibes were introduced" and of course Charlie Adlard's run on The Walking Dead. Not a knock on Tony Moore (as it's still a nice piece), more so than kudos to Charlie Adlard for what he's done for the series in my opinion.

So...

Looks like the playing field has changed a little (or a lot) again. Charlie has returned to 17 x 11 pencils only for now.... and I have to say it's looking nice!

IMG_9149_zps54cacc48.jpg

(*yoink* snagged this pic from retro)

I am going to assume that there may be yet another price increase post NYCC when some pencils or pencils + inks become available. Could be wrong seeing as the pricing is strong anyway :eyeroll: I love the improved detail seen on most pages although would have loved it more if the original pencils had been inked.

I scored a page from #115 as well this weekend, and like having separate pencils and inks!

The new stuff looks fantastic in person, and Stefano is a great guy to chat with (as is Charlie, of course) :)

I scored a page from #115 as well this weekend, and like having separate pencils and inks!

The new stuff looks fantastic in person, and Stefano is a great guy to chat with (as is Charlie, of course) :)

What's the ballpark on them if you don't mind me asking? At the beginning of the year $300 was the average $ per page across an issue, for #114 it was the minimum. I haven't seen any hit Splash yet. Just wondering.

Also are they being sold exclusively as a pair?

I would think the asking prices on the pencils only or inks only pages should be considerably less than the prior #115 pages that were penciled and inked by Charlie on single art boards.

Typically a penciled and inked page of original art should sell for more than either the pencils only or inks only.

Walking Dead OA seems to be its own animal though so its up to the market to decide if there is any price differential.

What's the ballpark on them if you don't mind me asking? At the beginning of the year $300 was the average $ per page across an issue, for #114 it was the minimum. I haven't seen any hit Splash yet. Just wondering.

Also are they being sold exclusively as a pair?

At this point, I think Mark is only selling them in pairs, and the cheapest I saw was $350-$400 if memory serves.

I need to get some scans of mine, but I definitely think it was worth the price I paid! :whee:

Wow.

I think the splash page from iss. 1 with Rick waking up in the hospital bed sold on eBay for about 1k - maybe 3 years ago or so

It sold again last year for $8k I think..also on Ebay.

Anybody know where all the OA for the 10th anniversary cover variants from #115 went? Kept by the creators or sold directly to one of the usual suspects? (shrug)

They are now in Kirkman's collection

WD #19 pages 1 & 3 just sold for $8.4k and $8.1k, respectively, on ebay.

High prices, but also not that surprising. I've mentioned to friends during the week that these #19 pages may be this generation's first appearance of Wolverine. (Making the cover the equivalent of HULK #181...congrats again, Gene!).

In the Modern forum, the hope is that these sales indicate an increase in value across the board for WD art. IMO, that's wishful thinking. This was a unique sale involving unique pages. I don't see a carryover to other pages, even other Michonne pages. I say that because I know the buyers; they only wanted these specific pages. If they couldn't get them, they weren't going to go after anything else.

That's the market reality as I see it, for what it's worth.