• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

. . . Look at The Amazing Spider-Man, with 700+ issues...

With the introduction of the Spider-Buggy (or whatever it was called), way back when,my interest in ASK plummeted dramatically and I could no longer take the book seriously ever again. :(

If you left ASM with the intro of the Spider-mobile, you got out well before that ship hit the "clone iceberg". To me AMS "ended" when Ross Andru left the book

I do think The Walking Dead has deteriorated at an alarming rate but thise first 50 or so issues were terrific. TWD is THE modern book. I think it will stand alone as king of this age. For that reason alone, OA will be sought after. Personally, I wouldn't buy a page after 48. I'm very particular about what I would buy nowadays. I think Tony Moore pages will always be in demand and some of Adlard's. However, a lot of what is being published now doesn't appeal to me so I have a hard time believing it will hold it's value. However, I think discounting TWD's effect on pulp culture and its effecg on the current comic collecting community is a mistake.

As my comic dealer said... Before TWD we never had cheerleaders in here.

Where is your comic dealer???????

Who cares! Where are the cheerleaders? :devil:

Who cares! Where are the Pics of Cheerleaders? :applause:

I agree with you on the "Negan" character, written in over the top for pure uncreative shock value, and is one dimensional so far.

I to think the artwork will survive and sustain interest and value, especially if the legacy remains strong as a comic book.

What prompted me to post, in addition to what I feel is the deteriorating quality of the writing (I agree, this "Negan" character/storyline was not only retreaded schlock, but has gone for pure, uncreative, gratuitous, even exploitative shock value), is that I saw that there are a lot of unsold pages on Splash Page. I'm not sure if that is due to the price increases that kicked in a few months ago mentioned above, or if the sheer quantity of pages being produced has largely sated demand for the non-early material (or, perhaps a combination of both). hm

I wouldn't necessarily draw a parallel between unsold pages and a decline in interest if you haven't been watching the website. For the last 5 months it is a case of price going up, number of pages listed still trending down.

Middle of last year the last of the older OA was gone. Only a short while before that there were still pages from the early 20's listed... by then it had already caught the interest of more than just regular OA collectors. Mid October there was only one page pre #48 left. You would have to go back further to have seen anything really decent listed. The price increases I mentioned earlier were the ones across the board for the unsold older pages. Everything after #91 was being listed at higher prices anyway.

The pages available on splash have not shifted greatly since mid September. Then it was at 204 listed, now at 179... but that is still pretty impressive considering that 20 or more pages are added each month and that #100 sold intact before SDCC. #102 really didn't help those figures, a filler / slow burn issue which sat there for quite a while, not helped by zombie related covers previewed for the following months and anticipate prices. It was 37 days before the first page from it sold which was a bit of a departure.

If you break down the buying habits in the last 5 months based on what shifted quickest...

#1 - Zombie pages

#2 - Action / Splash pages

#3 - Michonne pages

#4 - Other popular character pages (Negan, Jesus, etc)

#5 - Picking at the carcass of the older pages available.

You may have a point that there are going to be enough pages for everyone in the future but there is still massive demand. Sure there is a lot listed on Splash but the zombie pages can still sell as soon as they are listed (i.e. within minutes not hours) and availability has not trended up for a long long time except briefly with #102.

Even if the story stagnates from time to time the popular stuff will hold its own quite well with a lot of outside interest on board.

2c

Edited by Garf

I was looking to get my 1st piece and I thought one of the covers from TWD would be a great start!

I've been asking around and I see that some of the prices are ridiculous! (understandable though)

Anyways, also saw that issue 109 cover was for sale, but I'm not sure if I'm really in love with it (they say, buy what you like, right?)

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25893&ArtistId=84

Any help or advice would be appreciated

You might want to explore the archive at Heritage Auctions. Once you sign-up and get an id, you can search for Walking Dead pieces and see what they have sold for.

if you want more data, join the Comic Art Fans site, pay for Market Data access, and access eBay and other auction sites as well as Heritage.

Finally, you can search current dealer sites. There is a list of dealers on this board and the Dragonberry site has a list as well.

PS. I bet you can't buy just one page. :)

quit pricing them

? sorry... being a bit thick... I don't get that (shrug)

+1 yes it is insane... 6 months ago there were 205 pages available and now it is down to 166

quit pricing them

? sorry... being a bit thick... I don't get that (shrug)

I've never known of SplashPage/Mark Hay to not price something. I may have missed something before, but as far as I know he puts prices on the art he sells. Until recently when I noticed him putting "Taking Offers" on the WD covers. Not criticizing the new policy, I'd do the same thing after multiple months of seeing the covers I just recently sold being flipped back and forth among collectors. So, instead of pricing them I guess he decided to not sell to the first person to hit the site and purchase, but rather let the collectors make offers on the cover. ^^

You might want to explore the archive at Heritage Auctions. Once you sign-up and get an id, you can search for Walking Dead pieces and see what they have sold for.

if you want more data, join the Comic Art Fans site, pay for Market Data access, and access eBay and other auction sites as well as Heritage.

Finally, you can search current dealer sites. There is a list of dealers on this board and the Dragonberry site has a list as well.

Thanks for the site and tips!

I think one page (or cover lol) along with a high cgc of the signed comic all in one nice frame will do just fine for right now!! But, maybe soon after that.... :)

Thanks again!

I think one page (or cover lol) along with a high cgc of the signed comic all in one nice frame will do just fine for right now!! But, maybe soon after that.... :)

Thanks again!

You mean something like this :whistle:

00DAECE1-C03B-4FA2-8299-D427EF9093D8-889-000000B01DCE63D5.jpg

Very nice! I love that cover. I like how you did the red border around the art....I did the same thing. Here's mine (not a cover)

IMG_1200_zpsf6d11110.jpg

I'm curious what people think this page would sell for....(Zombie's in the barn story arc)

Thanks again!

You mean something like this :whistle:

00DAECE1-C03B-4FA2-8299-D427EF9093D8-889-000000B01DCE63D5.jpg

Yes! Something like this is what I would like!

I'm sure most of these have already been eaten up by collectors...the covers that are up for sale are the real nice/treasured ones and are ridiculously priced atm imo.

I'm not looking to buy and sell, looking to keep forever!

I see there are a few pages up on ebay atm...might be bidding on them soon! :)

Edited by fred5283

I was "fortunate" enough to obtain a couple of Walking Dead pages before everything hit the fan with the TV series. It itsimply astounding how prices have skyrocketed considering the art has become much more simplistic in the last 30 or so issues.

The last cover (which was actually changed in the published version) went for 5+ K USD from a European seller. And it was a horribly boring cover. I remember about 18 months ago Splash Page was sitting on about a dozen covers, all bleh, mediocre. I could not imagine spending the 700-900$ on them, for what basically amounted to minute line work amidst white backgrounds. When the Omnibus 3 cover came up for 5K USD, I was bewildered by the price difference, but at least saw how much art it had compared to the other pieces.

I just do not see anything being fairly priced for Walking Dead out there. While art is based in a free market on supply and demand, IMHO the only fair pricing has come from panel pages available via open eBay auctions that have no reserve and are allowed to run their course. I would not be surprised to see these prices dip back down in a half dozen years or so as the show runs its course.

I have no input on the price. But I like how Mark Hay has quit pricing them. The WD market is that insane :insane:

Oh and just to add a little to that this month is the first time I have seen exactly that "$Make Offer" on a panel page. Seems like zombie pages are priceless :P

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25972&ArtistId=84&Details=0&Mag=Walking+Dead&From=TDetail