• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

Jerry some people collect because they love the art and /or the story.

Kara and Tony own Walking Dead cover 1, 2, 3 and were asked at Fan Expo 2012 if they would sell the covers. Kara said never it's not for sale and she had an offer for issue #1 close to 6 figures. Walking Dead #19 had an offer for $25,000 that was turned down on comiclink. Walking Dead 1 pg2 splash sold for over $10,000 and it was one of Tony Moore's friends that purchased. She told me how much he bought it for back in 2006 and it would blow some peoples minds how much profit he made.

Sure it's fun to speculate but the fact of the matter is Walking Dead 27 cover is not for sale. Not sure why you keep mentioning my cover on the CGC boards. I could go through your collection and post the high prices you're trying to fetch on ebay and post some of the prices you paid but that would be just plain rude.

Not to mention insulting Charlie's art on the board. I've talked with Charlie and he's one of the nicest artists. Just like when your at work some days your stellar and some days you might not be into it. Either way you're buying it like it's bars of gold or Apple stock. Take it easy on the guy no need to trash him publically. He's on the internet all the time and so is his art rep.

Don't assume that because someone turned down an offer that it's not for sale still. Do you know the owner of #19? I highly doubt it.

Woah. Just read all this stuff on here.

This is a collectors society message board. On it are opinions of all caliber. Some are without merit, others are arguable, and some are brilliant. I've learned a lot since joining and am very grateful for the community.

With that said - this is a thread on original comic art. I have no idea who the owner of 27 is, and frankly I don't care. I don't think I was the one that brought up the cover, if I did I still don't feel too bad about it because this is a thread specifically created to discuss...wait for it...

yes, Walking Dead OA. So, if you own some, chances are you will see some discussions about possibly your page!

I'd also like to add that I take exception to being told that I trash Mr. Adlard and his work. I've praised his work on many occasions and its pretty obvious that I am a big fan of his work, that i own a lot of his pages..I also think all of my comments are completely appropriate, as again, we are on a discussion board, more specifically, a WD OA discussion board!

I've never said anything out of line about his work. I have given my raw and honest opinions, and if you, or anyone else takes my opinions as me trashing the guy, well I am sorry for your obtuse point of view.

Sure bring up my Ebay auctions. I've mentioned before that I admit my prices BIN are high. In my auction I actually write "No reasonable offer will be overlooked!"

Look - I don't mean to offend anyone, but what's the point of having a discussion board if not to discuss openly and honestly about your opinions on the subjects of the thread :idea:

Anyway, I hope from previous conversations with others on the board, people can see I am a pretty reasonable and fairly down-to-earth fellow. If not, :ohnoez:

Finally, <3

Edited by Jerry S

I predict splashpage will be happy

And that the Nowell Brothers will have another CAF entry. That's the only two certains we know so far.

Jim

You, sir, called it.

:blush:

Death, taxes and the Nowell Brothers winning any auction for a WD cover...the three certainties in life. :insane:

Jim

And that the Nowell Brothers will have another CAF entry. That's the only two certains we know so far.

Jim

You, sir, called it.

Death, taxes and the Nowell Brothers winning any auction for a WD cover...the three certainties in life. :insane:

Jim

Are they re-sellers or collectors?

Jim

You, sir, called it.

Jim

Quite the opposite. Their collection is, for lack of a better word, a black hole. None of it is for sale - I was told by one of the owners that selling a piece from their set would be like "selling a piece of their soul" and that they couldn't part with any of it.

Maybe their opinion will change once they get more?

I just want that SAWEET dbl page governor spread they have (one of their only non-cover pieces), but it looks like it, and the rest of their collection, is not going anywhere for a while, if ever.

Jim

You, sir, called it.

Jim

Quite the opposite. Their collection is, for lack of a better word, a black hole. None of it is for sale - I was told by one of the owners that selling a piece from their set would be like "selling a piece of their soul" and that they couldn't part with any of it.

I just want that SAWEET dbl page governor spread they have (one of their only non-cover pieces), but it looks like it, and the rest of their collection, is not going anywhere for a while, if ever.

Well... looking at your #48 zombie spread makes me feel the same if it is any consolation. Great pages (worship)

I have a three pages, none in that league though but I am still happy to have a small piece of TWD. Since buying a few pages of OA from comic books in general it's changed a lot about how I look at comic art.

Jim

You, sir, called it.

Jim

Well... looking at your #48 zombie spread makes me feel the same if it is any consolation. Great pages (worship)

I have a three pages, none in that league though but I am still happy to have a small piece of TWD. Since buying a few pages of OA from comic books in general it's changed a lot about how I look at comic art.

:blush: Thanks!

I got lucky and started collecting pages just before they escalated so high in price, and am so happy that I was able to get the pages that I own. Aside from my issue 48 pages, the pages from issue 65, the climax of the fear the hunters arc, are definitely my favorite. It was by far the best writing in a single issue from the series and I just couldn't believe the pages hadn't been purchased before me.

I agree too about how buying original art really makes you look at comics differently. I remember in 2005, when I was only collecting silver and golden age books, I was ignorant and assumed that all new comics were done digitally. Boy was I wrong!

So Jim,tell us about the Nowell Brothers as many of us are as not as familiar with them as you are (well i'm not anyway..) (shrug)

Where did they come from and when did they start monopolizing the WD OA cover market?

So Jim,tell us about the Nowell Brothers as many of us are as not as familiar with them as you are (well i'm not anyway..) (shrug)

Where did they come from and when did they start monopolizing the WD OA cover market?

I don't really know them either, and couldn't tell you why they chose to corner the market. I think they started going gung ho in like early July. :shrug:

Jim

*No Spoilers Here*

I finally caught up reading through the latest TPB and went back and read an interview with Kirkman about issue #100. He mentioned in the interview that he now plans on writing TWD past issue #300! Now, that may be his plan now, but surely the series is going to take a dip in popularity at some point; the TV series will likely have long ended by the time issue #300 rolls around. Also, as more and more of the long-time cast of characters is killed off, I can see readers dropping out as well, especially since, to me, anyway, the storylines aren't getting any more original (isn't this "Negan" guy in the latest storyline just another version of "The Governor"?)

Anyway, I'm just wondering what art from this series is still going to be hot/popular/in demand in the coming years...if the series does limp to past issue #300, there's going to be enough pages out there for every man, woman and child who's ever heard of TWD, and I'm not sure I can see every Adlard cover still being able to fetch a few grand if there's like close to 300 of them out there.

Thoughts? :popcorn:

I think, as with any long running series, OA collectors will start to segment themselves into groups. You'll get your collectors of:

- Moore art

- Covers

- Splashes

- Focusing on a favorite issue or run

- Anything WD

- Favorite character

and so on. Some pages will fall to the wayside(aren't their WD pages on SPLASHPAGE still?) and the fevered frenzy will be maintained for the more popular stuff.

As for what's gonna be hot/popular/in demand? It think the same stuff that is now. Michonne art, the Govenor run, Moore art, Covers, Zombie pages.

And I think the prices for that art is going to be maintained, at least. My reasoning is I haven't seen the really good pieces change hands publicly. The WD niche is fairly small and when a good piece is moved the seller knows who to contact to get the price s/he wants.

2c

Mike

Moments from 1 - 48 should stand alone pretty well. If the book as a whole just follows a formula ad infinitum then the first telling would likely be the most prominent.

Then other than what has been mentioned in the last couple of comments there are perhaps the 17 x 11 art, zombie pages and full cast pages to consider.

Over the course of another 2 decades you are still likely to have something that won't devalue if you bought before the 25th Oct 2012 from Splash. That's when the prices started to rise at source.

I agree with you on the "Negan" character, written in over the top for pure uncreative shock value, and is one dimensional so far.

I like the overall stories and arcs, as well as character development (hated to see some of 'em go 'tho), and it's still well written as an adventure book, which, if written properly can continue to 300 and beyond, if the main character (the mystery of the zombie infestation) remains interesting even without the same cast, as old ones are transitioned out and new ones are introduced, so eventually by 300 the adventure follows a totally new group.

I think the artwork will survive and sustain interest and value, especially if the legacy remains strong as a comic book.

Look at The Amazing Spider-Man, with 700+ issues... there's fans of various issues, characters and artist runs, be it Ditko, Romita, Kane, McFarlane, Larsen, Bagley or whomever.

I'm sure the artist duties for The Walking Dead may transition over in the future, and maybe Charlie Adlard's work will be treasured even more so, with greater respect and appreciation. No matter what, each piece is one of a kind, and not two pages are alike, and many collectors like owning multiples, so I think the collector's market can sustain keeping these pages valuable so long as the series remains somewhat relevant or the prior and current issues become legendary or iconic to be appreciated by future generations and looked upon nostalgically as the pinnacle series run by readers now in later years as well, much like how many look at Frank Miller's "Daredevil" or John Byrne's "Uncanny X-Men" runs.

I can see readers dropping out as well, especially since, to me, anyway, the storylines aren't getting any more original (isn't this "Negan" guy in the latest storyline just another version of "The Governor"?)

Thoughts? :popcorn:

Edited by AKA Rick

I agree with you on the "Negan" character, written in over the top for pure uncreative shock value, and is one dimensional so far.

I to think the artwork will survive and sustain interest and value, especially if the legacy remains strong as a comic book.

What prompted me to post, in addition to what I feel is the deteriorating quality of the writing (I agree, this "Negan" character/storyline was not only retreaded schlock, but has gone for pure, uncreative, gratuitous, even exploitative shock value), is that I saw that there are a lot of unsold pages on Splash Page. I'm not sure if that is due to the price increases that kicked in a few months ago mentioned above, or if the sheer quantity of pages being produced has largely sated demand for the non-early material (or, perhaps a combination of both). hm

. . . Look at The Amazing Spider-Man, with 700+ issues...

With the introduction of the Spider-Buggy (or whatever it was called), way back when,my interest in ASK plummeted dramatically and I could no longer take the book seriously ever again. :(