• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

Well seeing as #103 pages upwards are likely to be sold directly on Ebay from now on people are going to see exactly how deep this goes.

Where did you hear about this?

It was announced on the splash front page a week or so ago. Then pushed down when #101 pages 15+ rolled into stock.

It isn't always about the money. Maybe he just really likes it and doesn't feel like selling it. Isn't that why we buy OA in the first place? To enjoy it?

Sure, people enjoy - but for a 10 grand payday, its pretty tough not to sell...unless you are uncle money bags, but even then....

there is 1 piece in my OA gallery that I have listed as NFS - but if someone came along and offered me way way above market, I'd probably sell...

Now if it was to buy my dog...I probably wouldn't do it for anything less than a mill.

meanwhile I have some pretty nice pages on ebay which have plenty of watchers but zero offers (with the exception of the zombie splash, which got an offer of $1000 which I turned down and $450 offer on a Michonne page which in hindsight I guess I should have taken...)...and my BIN's are not SO out of line with current pricing...

Jerry: One thing, I can search Ebay.com all I like but being a Canadian bidder (and somebody I know you'll ship to) your auctions never show up in a search by me at all. The only way I can ever find your auctions, is by searching your name. Limiting your market to only US buyers will definitely have an effect on your realized selling prices.

Jim

Edited by cgcworld

Did Tony Moore ink his Walking Dead originals with marker?

Not that I've seen, and not on the pages I have.

Jim

I remember emailing Kara about it back in the day and her replying that Tony inked all his WD art in marker - was wondering if anyone else had heard that before. Here's a good example:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=128682

Moore,%20Tony%20-%20The%20Walking%20Dead%20-%2013%20-%20Cover.jpg

Yeesh! Yeah, that looks like marker.

But I have seen pages in person, and don't recall any marker. Not to say there wasn't, but that's usually something that sticks out to me.

BTW...congrats to cgccomics on your two pages. Both great examples. I was actually *this* close to buying the "Death of Shane" page at NYCC 2008. I ultimately passed because I thought it was priced too high and I didn't feel like haggling.

Price? $1K.

doh!

I don't think the page I had was inked in marker. It's been a while but I think it may have been covers-only.

Marker?! :facepalm: oh wow... that's terrible. Im sure were gonna see a lot of those making there way back out onto the market in a few years.

Edited by Khazano

I don't think the page I had was inked in marker. It's been a while but I think it may have been covers-only.

Marker?! :facepalm: oh wow... that's terrible. Im sure were gonna see a lot of those making there way back out onto the market in a few years.

Yes, but it will have nothing to do with the fact that marker was used.

Yes, but it will have nothing to do with the fact that marker was used.

While I agree, the whole bubble is gonna pop real soon and people will be liquidating...

That looks like it was done with a sharpie to me, around 2005 was it? Which means it'll yellow and fade something nasty over time. India ink is the only way to go.

whats wrong with marker?

Aside from not being aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't stand the test of time like India ink does. Especially from a sharpie around the early 2000's. Theyve got a lot better and more archival in recent years though, hences the massive influx of commissions being done with them recently.

Now, an inker or collector with a far better eye then I may correct me and say theres nothing wrong with the marker used to color that WD cover. But to my untrained eye those look like sharpie strokes to me which ultimately will fade.

Edited by Khazano

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but it doesn't age well. Modern markers may be better I still wouldn't be comfortable.

Here's a cover that I consider a copper classic. Its inked in marker and the aging of the marker is noticeable in the scan. No disrespect to Eelco, its one HELLUVA cover, but the marker would bother me personally. Then again maybe if it was actually mine I wouldn't care, all I know is that in the scan, I find it distracting.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=47251&GSub=90364

Regarding the artwork of Charlie Adlard, I recall in the 1980's when people first saw Frank Miller's artwork, especially with Klaus Jason inks, there were definite fans but also a population of naysayers (albeit small, still at the time speaking out) who thought the artwork was sloppy and drawn with thick markers and not much detail or "traditional" beauty.

It's called art, I guess, and left to the eye of the beholder. I think people started to rationalize Miller's style of art as Film Noir and stylized. The fact is, the artwork did compliment the writing. Put that art style with bad writing, and it probably wouldn't be as popular as it became. This is where I become a big fan of writing and it's influence on the perception of art and that relationship.

I sort of feel the same way with Adlard and The Walking Dead. I think Adlard's work as "sloppy" as many may feel it is, it is mood setting and compliments the writing and stories.

I prefer the Adlard artwork over Tony Moore's on this specific series for that same reason.

I think the artists I'd like to see on this series are more of the artists like Adlard, Mignola, Sean Phillips, Jean Paul Leon, Frank Miller, Steranko, Tim Sale, and the like, more so than an Ed Benes, Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell or Adam Hughes.

Sooner, rather than later - the WD franchise will hit its apex (if its not there already), and then it will slowly start to lose readership and ultimately fans.

To boot - Adlard's work has become downright bad. To be fair to him, lets call it inconsistent.

I don't know. Inconsistent art still sells books.

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=377543&dId=1

that splash isn't half bad..

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but it doesn't age well. Modern markers may be better I still wouldn't be comfortable.

Im in the same boat and have avoided the recent colored marker commission trend like the plague because I dont know how the art will look in 10-20 years time from now.

But yes, this is a perfect example of why someone wouldn't want comic art inked with a marker.

Yeesh! Yeah, that looks like marker.

But I have seen pages in person, and don't recall any marker. Not to say there wasn't, but that's usually something that sticks out to me.

BTW...congrats to cgccomics on your two pages. Both great examples. I was actually *this* close to buying the "Death of Shane" page at NYCC 2008. I ultimately passed because I thought it was priced too high and I didn't feel like haggling.

Price? $1K.

doh!

I appreciate the compliment as well as you passing on it so many years ago. :foryou:

Jim

Edited by cgcworld