• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

It was issue 45 Pg 5.

Rick is lying in bed with Alice and Lori fussing over him.

In the comic - no hand.

In the OA - theres a hand!

Charlie must have been working too hard that week!

Nice page :applause: ... almost got that one a while back :) really liked the last panel, never noticed the unpublished hand. Had I realised I may have gone there for the quirkiness of it too.

Quite often the media at Splash lingers if you mess with the image URLs

AdlardWD45Pg05.jpg

Have seen other established comic art sellers have been buying up from splash over the last couple of months, in some cases even the recent pages... they repop pretty quick though. Looks like people who have been around for a long time are saying short term at least most of these will increase.

I think things would have gotten a lot pricier still were it not the case that fans just don't know the OA is out there. Most of the fans I have spoken to that read the comics/floppies or trades are blind to it.

aside from the lightening of the color in the pieces I think they are all in really good shape..also I think to commission anyone to touch a published piece of art isn't a good idea - i think it will cripple the value on the resell because its no longer "as published"

Something done with a sharpie or some other markers will light and turn brown. They will eventually disappear. I have seen art where it gets so light you cant see it anymore.

aside from the lightening of the color in the pieces I think they are all in really good shape..also I think to commission anyone to touch a published piece of art isn't a good idea - i think it will cripple the value on the resell because its no longer "as published"

Something done with a sharpie or some other markers will light and turn brown. They will eventually disappear. I have seen art where it gets so light you cant see it anymore.

And Brian said what I didn't want to say since people seem so convinced that markers are fine. Yup, touching a piece of art will cripple the value, but whats the value of a blank page?

Malvin

And Brian said what I didn't want to say since people seem so convinced that markers are fine. Yup, touching a piece of art will cripple the value, but whats the value of a blank page?

Malvin

Yes, but wouldn't this be the extreme? How long was the piece out in unprotected light? Considering I've seen 50+ year old art with marker and it looks fine there are obviously two sides to the decaying process of the marker, right?

Yes, but wouldn't this be the extreme? How long was the piece out in unprotected light? Considering I've seen 50+ year old art with marker and it looks fine there are obviously two sides to the decaying process of the marker, right?

I think there are 2 factors, light exposure does cause fading, but different types of markers have different "speed of fadingness". Some will still fade without exposure to light.

Malvin

I think there are 2 factors, light exposure does cause fading, but different types of markers have different "speed of fadingness". Some will still fade without exposure to light.

Malvin

I would assume without light would have to do with the ink bleeding deeper into the page over time or perhaps due to exposure to a humid environment. It doesn't seem likely that many comic artists would use something dye based that would bleed or fade easily, but I can understand the general effect on desirability when it comes to this.

Seeing as this is a TWD discussion I asked Mark Hay about the inks Charlie Adlard uses, and he kindly replied advising he uses India Ink on his pages. No marker. Was curious based on some of the comments on here as I have a few pages sat there that are shipping soon and never actually held one up close yet, so what would I know without asking (the postage would have killed me individually to the UK).

Still completed a purchase before asking the question :P Can't wait to see them!!!

Its not the ink bleeding deeper into the page. The chemicals just break down.

As for comic artist, not that I should speak for them, but in the past, before comic art became more valuable, I don't think they care about fading, they just use whatever they can to easily create what they were paid to do (create an image for publication)

Malvin

Its not the ink bleeding deeper into the page. The chemicals just break down.

As for comic artist, not that I should speak for them, but in the past, before comic art became more valuable, I don't think they care about fading, they just use whatever they can to easily create what they were paid to do (create an image for publication)

Malvin

Fair enough :)

Nice page :applause: ... almost got that one a while back :) really liked the last panel, never noticed the unpublished hand. Had I realised I may have gone there for the quirkiness of it too.

Quite often the media at Splash lingers if you mess with the image URLs

AdlardWD45Pg05.jpg

Have seen other established comic art sellers have been buying up from splash over the last couple of months, in some cases even the recent pages... they repop pretty quick though. Looks like people who have been around for a long time are saying short term at least most of these will increase.

I think things would have gotten a lot pricier still were it not the case that fans just don't know the OA is out there. Most of the fans I have spoken to that read the comics/floppies or trades are blind to it.

Thats the one!

I never took a copy before it went off Splas - so thankyou very much for that.

Yes it was the quirkiness of that page that made me buy it.

Splash still has individual pages under $150 that whilst not exciting,do feature a large number of characters.

There was one from the party scene in 'Alexandria' that had Glenn,Maggie,Carl,Rick,Michonne,Heath etcin it,albeit in the background.

I would have bought a few more but it was a priority cash wise between OA or getting the rest of my TWD run slabbed.

Thanks again!

One thing I have been watching is the gradual decrease in available art on Splash. There have been several recent "spike" decreases where multiple pages have gone (e.g. the last of the large art went, a lot of the Abraham pages went, the nicer #58 Rick/Abraham pages went) but other than that the available art is generally slowly diminishing. It's been hovering above the 205 page mark as items are bought and items are added but looking at the trend it's going to dip below 200 soon (not even counting current dead links) and continue going down.

There are still some nice ones in there too that are there for the taking. I have to say I really like #78 p7 . It may not be the most memorable scene however Andrea art is solid and has her with the sniper rifle. If you like the character and don't want to break the bank then it's a nice one to have for that reason IMHO.

Someone buy it so that I am not tempted :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think the market in the future will continue to have near 15% of the total pages available at any given time like it does now. It's going to become more of a seller's market long term for simple pages, it's just going to take a while. Sure there are some pages you may not be able to give away ( #72 p7 ), but how long do you think it's going to be before we hit 150 available on splash and then 100 (more of them at the more recent higher prices)?

can someone give a newbie a quick rundown on how the OA thing works?

are these pages simply large drawings that are the actual pages that appeared in the comic?

In the case of TWD most of the pages are not much larger than the printed book since ??? (errr #36 can't remember which issue for sure now but it's somewhere earlier in this thread), but yes this is the original artwork hand drawn that ends up in the comic.

How it works is you pay people lots and lots of money, in return they give you a piece of paper with ink on it. End result: you have no money :baiting:

Have a look at the two I linked in the post above. Those scans are 1:1 I think although your browser may resize them so click to enlarge or download.

The "traditional" approach had:

1) A penciller who laid out the page and drew the figures and background in pencil.

2) A letterer who added the dialog to the page

3) An inker who used India Ink on the same page to darken the pencil drawing for reproduction adding various effects and, generally, interpreting the pencil. At that point, the pencil was erased.

The end result was a page with "everything" except color and that was used for the remaining steps. Color was added by painting copies of the original art.

Often, those pages were thrown away or otherwise destroyed after use though not always. In the 70s, Neal Adams and others worked to get artwork returned to the creators. From that time on, the OA is much more available.

Of late, computers have changed the process. For example, the penciller would draw and then scan. The scan would be sent to the inker. The inker would either:

1) Print it out in cyan (blue line) and ink that and scan it OR

2) Use Photoshop or other tool to ink the digital file

At that point, the electronic image is used for the remaining production steps.

Note that the lettering is done on the digital image so the board lacks dialog which makes me sad. :( Color is also added to the digital file.

A few other points, originally, the art board was quite large, but someone realized that if it was cut down they could photograph two pages at once. When you read "twice up" or "large art" in reference to OA, it's those older, larger, and, frequently, more detailed pieces being discussed.

A few examples:

1) Sugar and Spike by Sheldon Mayer - large art, drawn, inked, and lettered by Mayer

2) LSH by Daniel HDR and Bob Wiacek - small art, pencils, blue line inks, no words.

3) Superman by Curt Swan - pencils only, but you can see the digital inking and coloring process on this link (someone lifted the image and inked/colored it). Give it time to load the images.