• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

At 1500 its too much for me to even play bid lol

Somebody down the line is going to be left holding the bag. If it didn't mean being three years older, I'd love to fast forward and see where we are at on Walking Dead. I know we all predict gloom and doom, but reality none of us know for a fact.

Jim

Not everyone is predicting gloom and doom. Personally, I think A and A+ pieces will be viewed as bargains by today's standards.

why do people bid so early?

Tracking bids, so when there is fifteen minutes to go in the auction your iPhone beeps like mad telling you to go bid.

Jim

Or thrill bids... or price manipulation. There could be a lot of reasons.

lol Garf - my prediction is it goes for just a bit more than $3500 - lets see what it goes for!

hm that seems like a reasonable shout... but split that would be a bit more than $1750 each. i'd guess a few people with cash flow could live with that price as the unpulished cover is really nice. maybe there is someone out there with a little voice in their head telling them "you could buy them both, get the one you want and recoup some by reselling the other" (don't listen to the voice Jim)

i'm going to go crazy and say... $3875.62 + postage

At 1500 its too much for me to even play bid lol

Somebody down the line is going to be left holding the bag. If it didn't mean being three years older, I'd love to fast forward and see where we are at on Walking Dead. I know we all predict gloom and doom, but reality none of us know for a fact.

Jim

Not everyone is predicting gloom and doom. Personally, I think A and A+ pieces will be viewed as bargains by today's standards.

Okay about 95% of collectors. :)

I personally don't see it on #1's, Moore art and any covers under a #100 but it's possible that because of my current emotional and financial investment, I might be looking at things through my rose coloured glasses. :sorry:

Jim

When you say 95% of collectors will be left holding the bag are you thinking of people who have paid $100 - $200 for something from Splash or ebay purchases right now, or something else?

Yes there are different leagues of pages but the same can be said for the buyers/collectors. Personally I hope that prices do take a dive in the future at some point because I would be more than happy to pick up a (lesser) page or two for $45 each :P

I bought a couple of random Batman pages recently but am perfectly happy with them because of nostalgia about one of my favourite arcs ever... for $45, at least to me, it felt like they were being thrown away (these). I don't think they are anything to brag about but personally I won't ever regret the purchase. People may feel the same nostalgia about TWD in the years to come.

When you say 95% of collectors will be left holding the bag are you thinking of people who have paid $100 - $200 for something from Splash or ebay purchases right now, or something else?

Yes there are different leagues of pages but the same can be said for the buyers/collectors. Personally I hope that prices do take a dive in the future at some point because I would be more than happy to pick up a (lesser) page or two for $45 each :P

I bought a couple of random Batman pages recently but am perfectly happy with them because of nostalgia about one of my favourite arcs ever... for $45, at least to me, it felt like they were being thrown away (these). I don't think they are anything to brag about but personally I won't ever regret the purchase. People may feel the same nostalgia about TWD in the years to come.

I never said 95% of collectors will be left holding the bag, was just stating that 95% of opinions on these boards is that this whole WD thing is a fad, and will all end sooner rather than later. That it's staying power is fleeting. I disagree but am in the minority. Just ask Jerry, he'll tell you.

Jim

I chimed in on the long-term value of WD elsewhere on the board - I think a few Adlard interiors, around 30 or so are going to retain value at ridiculous levels..the covers and TM will stay high too - not 10k offers for issue 27 cover high..but high enough where people who bought covers anytime till about now are protected...

The rest of the stuff - no way it will retain the value that even splashpageart is selling at - I pegged prices elsewhere, but generally 100 bucks for a standard interior is where I see these pages at --

Also on that TM sketch - I don't think he did it - if he did, he definitely didn't get paid to do it - it would have been one of those freebie kind of sketches he did cause someone chatted him up right -- either way though, its ugly.

Hey guys,

do you think this was a legit Tony Moore Sketch? I've rarely if ever seen one partially colored before..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180969376349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

For $75 it's a lot of trouble to be a fake. I just went through CAF and he has two types of sigs, a sloppy one like this one and a neater one. He always puts a hyphen before the T in Tony. A lot of the sketches I saw on CAF say "Rock On". I didn't see any sketch or art though that wasn't just black ink or marker though.

Jim

TBH Jim, it was your passion for TWD that pursuaded me to buy a couple of pieces.

The TM one we talked about would have been lovely but her indoors went beserk when she found out the price was $12,000!

So I settled on just two.

One is a double spread from #85 of Rick tending to Carl as he's fighting for his life after being shot in the head.

The Walking Dead is essentially the Grimes family story (a very extended story I grant you!) so the bond between the last 2 surviving family was quite poignant so I got it!

The second one was for comedic value, its from the Prison/Woodbury arc and in this particular page,Charlie had obviously forgotten that Rick had lost his right arm!

So just for giggles,I bought it as Rick is now the first human in history to fully regrow a limb!

It is, of course changed in the comic.

Prices - meh - all I know is that in 20 yrs, god willing, they will still be sitting on my wall.

TBH Jim, it was your passion for TWD that pursuaded me to buy a couple of pieces.

The TM one we talked about would have been lovely but her indoors went beserk when she found out the price was $12,000!

One is a double spread from #85 of Rick tending to Carl as he's fighting for his life after being shot in the head.

The Walking Dead is essentially the Grimes family story (a very extended story I grant you!) so the bond between the last 2 surviving family was quite poignant so I got it!

The second one was for comedic value, its from the Prison/Woodbury arc and in this particular page,Charlie had obviously forgotten that Rick had lost his right arm!

So just for giggles,I bought it as Rick is now the first human in history to fully regrow a limb!

Prices - meh - all I know is that in 20 yrs, god willing, they will still be sitting on my wall.

It didn't happen until we see pictures. :rulez:

Sounds like great pick ups, you should be proud.

Jim

I never said 95% of collectors will be left holding the bag, was just stating that 95% of opinions on these boards is that this whole WD thing is a fad, and will all end sooner rather than later. That it's staying power is fleeting. I disagree but am in the minority. Just ask Jerry, he'll tell you.

Jim

Ah... thought I misunderstood (ran low on brainpower in the early hours across the pond). There are very few books that stick in my head like TWD so long term it has staying power. At the moment it is out of reach of the majority of fans, if the audience grows and the book sells .... the people with the disposable cash to support a TWD collection that are added to the pile will be a small minority. It will keep it ticking a while longer though.

I predict over 4k for the covers. Glad I picked up my 4 covers when I did. These are seriously getting out of reach. I also don't like the covers where 1/2 the page is blank or filled in with scribbled marker (98-99) or limited cover images - such as the 103. They look more like sketch pieces than covers. I bid hard on the TM unpublished cover on CL last month and got blown out of the water. I also placed a strong bid on the cover blind auctioned by splashpage. Based on what I bid on that cover - and the fact there was a minimum bid of 3k required, I really would not be surprised if his cover pushes 4k+.

As you said, popularity of the series has risen, therefore prices will rise. But is their a ceiling to value of the art? I tend to try and stay away when there is a serious spike in prices when something is hot. I love Walking Dead, and I hope it lasts for years to come, but eventually I think interest will come to a plateau and level out. Only time will tell.

It didn't happen until we see pictures. :rulez:

Sounds like great pick ups, you should be proud.

Jim

Will do Jim,at least the double.

The others on its way to me.

I have to say I'm suprisingly pleased with it.