• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

whats wrong with marker?

Marker is frowned upon within the OA marketplace. It fades easier and much faster, and can sometimes relegate a piece into becoming a very hard sell. Artwork done on Vellum is also a pet peeve amongst collectors as well and 9 times out of 10, the same piece of art would sell for significantly more if not done on Vellum. Vellum can become more fragile and brittle faster.

Jim

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but it doesn't age well. Modern markers may be better I still wouldn't be comfortable.

Im in the same boat and have avoided the recent colored marker commission trend like the plague because I dont know how the art will look in 10-20 years time from now.

But yes, this is a perfect example of why someone wouldn't want comic art inked with a marker.

Doesn't how you store the art affect, ultimately, how fast the marker/ink will fade. If it's properly stored why should it matter if it's india ink or marker? I agree with the above - as long as it doesn't detract from the art I could care less.

Doesn't how you store the art affect, ultimately, how fast the marker/ink will fade. If it's properly stored why should it matter if it's india ink or marker? I agree with the above - as long as it doesn't detract from the art I could care less.

Im afraid not. The chemicals in a sharpie will degrade over time no matter what. It's not archival. (And even then, some archival pens wont last 20+ years.) Keeping it away from sun light etc will obviously slow this process. But no matter what you're gonna get some degree of fading when marker is used.

Please dont get me wrong though, not like the image is going to disappear or anything. If that was the case I wouldnt even bother with my sketch book at cons.... But it certainly will dull and when compared to something inked with india ink which will look just as black 30 years from now as it does today.

Im afraid not. The chemicals in a sharpie will degrade over time no matter what. It's not archival. (And even then, some archival pens wont last 20+ years.) Keeping it away from sun light etc will obviously slow this process. But no matter what you're gonna get some degree of fading when marker is used.

Please dont get me wrong though, not like the image is going to disappear or anything. If that was the case I wouldnt even bother with my sketch book at cons.... But it certainly will dull and when compared to something inked with india ink which will look just as black 30 years from now as it does today.

I understand that there will be a degrading in the appearance no matter what - but maybe I haven't seen enough old pieces done in sharpie to see this fully hashed effect.

Malvin - Why would I want to avoid these pieces like "the plague". If it's great art why would it really matter?

Edited by Phillip

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but it doesn't age well. Modern markers may be better I still wouldn't be comfortable.

Here's a cover that I consider a copper classic. Its inked in marker and the aging of the marker is noticeable in the scan. No disrespect to Eelco, its one HELLUVA cover, but the marker would bother me personally. Then again maybe if it was actually mine I wouldn't care, all I know is that in the scan, I find it distracting.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=47251&GSub=90364

I don't think this is that bad - is the issue the brownish fading? Is there any kind of fix?

Yup, its not bad at all, nothing wrong with spending big money on marker pieces

Apologies to the CAF gallery owner, but here is some art where marker fade is no big deal:

Starlin Death of Captain Marvel Page

Another Starlin Captain Marvel page

as for fix, yes there is. It's called commissioning an inker, preferably the original one, to re-ink it. :grin:

I remember reading one inker doing it and saying he would raise his prices next time because the work was quite extensive.

Malvin

Edited by malvin

Here's a cover that I consider a copper classic. Its inked in marker and the aging of the marker is noticeable in the scan. No disrespect to Eelco, its one HELLUVA cover, but the marker would bother me personally. Then again maybe if it was actually mine I wouldn't care, all I know is that in the scan, I find it distracting.

I don't think this is that bad - is the issue the brownish fading? Is there any kind of fix?

Ive often wondered that myself. I have some art where the border was outlined in marker and everything was inked in india ink. The border is brown where the art on the inside has maintained its pristine black look. I still love the art. BUT - the contrast is a major eye sore IMO - Id be lying if I hadn't thought about getting the original inker (in this case scott hannah) to reink the borders in india ink over top of the sharpie...But then I have no idea how that'll even look... Still it's something I think about from time to time.

As for Philip question. Dude, if you dont care, and you're not planning on selling, then it truly doesn't matter whether it'll fade or not. The most imporant rule in this hobby is buy what you like. So with that in mind, all the power to ya!

aside from the lightening of the color in the pieces I think they are all in really good shape..also I think to commission anyone to touch a published piece of art isn't a good idea - i think it will cripple the value on the resell because its no longer "as published"

aside from the lightening of the color in the pieces I think they are all in really good shape..also I think to commission anyone to touch a published piece of art isn't a good idea - i think it will cripple the value on the resell because its no longer "as published"

I agree with this statement as well as do about 99% of collectors out there. It's another reason I havent had my pieces touched up.

Ive often wondered that myself. I have some art where the border was outlined in marker and everything was inked in india ink. The border is brown where the art on the inside has maintained its pristine black look. I still love the art. BUT - the contrast is a major eye sore IMO - Id be lying if I hadn't thought about getting the original inker (in this case scott hannah) to reink the borders in india ink over top of the sharpie...But then I have no idea how that'll even look... Still it's something I think about from time to time.

As for Philip question. Dude, if you dont care, and you're not planning on selling, then it truly doesn't matter whether it'll fade or not. The most imporant rule in this hobby is buy what you like. So with that in mind, all the power to ya!

(shrug)

we can have a lot of fun by bidding it up to 500,000,000.00 lol

I guess I should add that I am kidding.

lol I see who the first bidder is --- initials T.N. wonder who that is ;)

Edited by Jerry S

At 1500 its too much for me to even play bid lol

Somebody down the line is going to be left holding the bag. If it didn't mean being three years older, I'd love to fast forward and see where we are at on Walking Dead. I know we all predict gloom and doom, but reality none of us know for a fact.

Jim