• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horror Sex Tales & Monster Sex Tales , any info ??

20 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

here are two very adult magazines that I know nothing about.

Anybody have any info on these, including value ?

Monster Sex Tales and Horror Sex Tales, both published by GALLERY PRESS in 1972.

Monster_sex_tales_censored.jpg

Horror_sex_tales_censored.jpg

They aren't comic book type magazines. They have crazy erotic themed monster stories with a bunch of illustrations and photos. Lots of fully nude pics. Totally bizarre subject matter.

I have not been able to find out much about these.

Apparently Ed Wood Jr. had a hand in creating much of the stories. I don't know much about EWJR though.

The 4th mag was Legendary Sex Tales.

They were listed as a warehouse find in one of Bud Plant's catalogs from the late 90's. Horror Sex Tales was priced at $15 and the other 3 were $10.

I had my eye on them, but never got around to ordering any.

I actually put the white dots on there so I could post the images.

I never even noticed the -candle. That's crazy.

Not sure about the warehouse find post.

I talked with a business in Seattle that handles obscure SMUT type magazines and he says these issues are very uncommon to find.

He said the last copy of Horror Sex Tales he had he sold for over $200, a few years ago.

I saw three of these magazines (two different sellers), at the SpringCon in Minnesota over the weekend. One of the sellers told me about purchasing a group of them about 20 years ago. In one of the mags that I flipped through EDW Wood Jr. was credited with writing at least one article. Several other credited features appeared to be pseudonyms of Mr. Wood. I found them to be ritualistic, nasty and bizarre.

The prices varied.

I saw three of these magazines (two different sellers), at the SpringCon in Minnesota over the weekend. One of the sellers told me about purchasing a group of them about 20 years ago. In one of the mags that I flipped through EDW Wood Jr. was credited with writing at least one article. Several other credited features appeared to be pseudonyms of Mr. Wood. I found them to be ritualistic, nasty and bizarre.

The prices varied.

I was there on Saturday! Thank God I missed those mags. They're not monster magazines, just smut. (tsk)

I found one dealer who had a fairly large inventory of Warren and non-Warren monster material. But, in my opinion, his prices were high and the condition of the mags was nothing to write home about. Minnesota shows are never very good for monster magazines. I could do better eBay! :headbang:

- Mike

The prices varied.

I was there on Saturday! Thank God I missed those mags. They're not monster magazines, just smut. (tsk)

I found one dealer who had a fairly large inventory of Warren and non-Warren monster material. But, in my opinion, his prices were high and the condition of the mags was nothing to write home about. Minnesota shows are never very good for monster magazines. I could do better eBay! :headbang:

- Mike

I believe the guys (brothers, I think), you are talking about (stationed in one of the corners, kinda like a labyrinth to walk through their booth area), had at least two of these magazines in the corner of their back wall, just down from the early Famous Monsters. They had a variety of Skywalds, Warrens and other more obscure publishers from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

For years they have brought by far the most complete magazine selection of this type to these shows. When I attended the San Diego and Chicago Comic-Cons in the 90's nobody at that time brought a more varied selection to those shows than these guys have brought for years to the Minny shows. Perhaps that has changed.

Their prices for the magazines that are the subject of this thread were significantly higher than the other gentleman that had a couple of the mags as well, but then that is their prerogative.

I don't think anyone would mistake these mags for "monster" magazines ala Dracula, Frankenstein etc. I doubt the original poster or any that have commented thus far would be confused after reading any of the earlier posts in the thread, despite the crude monster art on a cover.

Not something I would buy, but having been a young fella in the late 60's/early 70's it was interesting to look through. The potential Ed Wood connection is somewhat similar to people that seek out Harlan Ellison or Stephen King short stories that appeared in "mens magazines" before they became better known.

As an fyi, I brought about a few, 7-8 Warren/Famous Monsters mags with me to the show and all but one sold. Several other dealers had the same success. I wish I had more to bring. Not sure how they measured up to eBay pricing or condition.