• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

... Not even really any point in putting in more than a tracking until the live auction starts imo (shrug)...

That right there is the best advice you/we/I/they could receive.

Remember first that there is a live auction on the last day, and everyone gets to bid again if they want to in the live auction. Secondly, Heritage is allowed to bid in their own auctions, by law as it's in their terms and conditions.

I'm not talking about them shilling at all, but they do have the right to bid(in the interest of the seller) to represent any reserve, even a non public reserve. HA also has a buying and selling division, and they will bid for that division to buy things for resale.

If you want the prices to be potentially as low as possible, don't push the prices up now, that influences others and HA to bid higher on the last day.

If you place any bids now before the last day(live), then you qualify to place new proxy bids between the last internet bidding, and the live bidding. I suggest waiting until then to place your final max bid as a proxy bid. Then the live bid price will jump from a lower starting point.

I know they want it to be an emotional bidding war, to get people to bid higher than they want to. Do that, or save money and hold off until the end, and buy stuff cheaper. Good luck,

What's really amazing is the depth of the SA keys in the auction, beyond just Doug's books.

Really? I just took the trouble to do a search for these titles:

Adventures of the Fly

Adventures of the Jaguar

Drag Cartoons

Fox & the Crow

Mystery in Space

Tales of the Unexpected

Flash

Green Lantern

Spooky

Wendy

Little Dot

Hot Stuff

How many comics do you think I found from my Want List?

rantrant

Yes, but who wants that stuff anyway? :baiting:

:jokealert:

Seriously, it must be frustrating to look for those titles and rarely see the goods. In a way, I bet that's what makes collecting those books challenging and fun. When you finally find a good one you like...it's got to be a good feeling.

... Not even really any point in putting in more than a tracking until the live auction starts imo (shrug)...

Remember first that there is a live auction on the last day, and everyone gets to bid again if they want to in the live auction. Secondly, Heritage is allowed to bid in their own auctions, by law as it's in their terms and conditions.

I'm not talking about them shilling at all, but they do have the right to bid(in the interest of the seller) to represent any reserve, even a non public reserve. HA also has a buying and selling division, and they will bid for that division to buy things for resale.

If you want the prices to be potentially as low as possible, don't push the prices up now, that influences others and HA to bid higher on the last day.

If you place any bids now before the last day(live), then you qualify to place new proxy bids between the last internet bidding, and the live bidding. I suggest waiting until then to place your final max bid as a proxy bid. Then the live bid price will jump from a lower starting point.

I know they want it to be an emotional bidding war, to get people to bid higher than they want to. Do that, or save money and hold off until the end, and buy stuff cheaper. Good luck,

+1

I put in about 70 tracking bids but literally half of those were $1 on books that had zero bids so far and the other half had just 1 bid so far and were sitting at $1. Pushing it up to $5 i dont think is any problem but im shocked how high some of the books are already!!!

One that i was praying might go for a semi reasonable price is already at $11,000!!! And we arent talking Action 1 or something where 11k is like 5% of the final hammer price. This book probably wont even hit 20k so why the hell people already have it over half of what it will end is beyond me ???

That seems like solid advice. I've never been part of a live auction and since I won't be there in-person...it's hard to know what to expect and how to really have the best odds at winning. But, I'll do my best.

For me, this auction is more fun to watch than to be bidding. I have a handful of books I plan on trying to get but only if the prices are in line with FMV. If they are through the roof....I will just sit back and enjoy the show.

Those are the bidders who like to make one final first bid for what they want to win it for, and they wait to see what they win. Other people may just like to place big bids which they are sure will be under the final price, and maybe get lucky on a few.

Adventures of the Fly

Adventures of the Jaguar

Drag Cartoons

Fox & the Crow

Mystery in Space

Tales of the Unexpected

Flash

Green Lantern

Spooky

Wendy

Little Dot

Hot Stuff

rantrant

Yes, but who wants that stuff anyway? :baiting:

:jokealert:

Seriously, it must be frustrating to look for those titles and rarely see the goods. In a way, I bet that's what makes collecting those books challenging and fun. When you finally find a good one you like...it's got to be a good feeling.

I always regarded any convention where I filled in a comic from my most wanted list as a major triumph.

;)

What's really amazing is the depth of the SA keys in the auction, beyond just Doug's books.

Adventures of the Fly

Adventures of the Jaguar

Drag Cartoons

Fox & the Crow

Mystery in Space

Tales of the Unexpected

Flash

Green Lantern

Spooky

Wendy

Little Dot

Hot Stuff

rantrant

:facepalm:

Clearly I was talking about the number of different copies available of several keys. I don't think I've ever seen so many copies of X-Men #1 or TOS #39 for auction all at once.

2 of the ones i want are ones that i thought 100% i would win when they were up for auction in the last year with completely over the top bids. Both of them i was SHOCKED that someone actually outbid me on them and couldn't for the life of me figure who it could be. I should have known it was freaking Doug blowing me out of the water!!! doh!

Well, now you're going to get a great opportunity to pick up some of these books at a lower price than you were willing to pay the first time around. My guess is that Doug's going to take a bath on some of his more recent acquisitions, unless there is suddenly some mysterious bidding to prop up his prices.

It would actually be very interesting to see what the sale prices were for a lot of the more recently acquired books, particularly the Rocky Mountains and Twin Cities books, so we can compare to what the sales price will be here.

2 of the ones i want are ones that i thought 100% i would win when they were up for auction in the last year with completely over the top bids. Both of them i was SHOCKED that someone actually outbid me on them and couldn't for the life of me figure who it could be. I should have known it was freaking Doug blowing me out of the water!!! doh!

Well, now you're going to get a great opportunity to pick up some of these books at a lower price than you were willing to pay the first time around. My guess is that Doug's going to take a bath on some of his more recent acquisitions, unless there is suddenly some mysterious bidding to prop up his prices.

It would actually be very interesting to see what the sale prices were for a lot of the more recently acquired books, particularly the Rocky Mountains and Twin Cities books, so we can compare to what the sales price will be here.

I think/hope that you are right (thumbs u

One of them that he best me out on last year, I can't possibly imagine goes for even close to what we were at in the auction it sold. Like I said, my bid was so over the top it was ridiculous. I could not believe someone actually outbid me! Other than Doug, I don't believe for a second there was anyone else on the planet willing to pay even like 65% of what we were bidding. I'm almost positive I'll get it for close to half of what he got it for last year so I think he will take a bath on that one.

Luckily for him, this particular book was one of the least valuable of the books he has in the HA auction so even "taking a bath" percentage wise, he's not going to lose much money. One bid increment near the end of the major books will more than make it up for him.

I placed some fairly aggressive bids on about 20 items and was being customarily outbid on almost all. Books in 9.8 with thin census representation are going to go ballistic. Man,I would miss those books if I were selling.....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I placed some fairly aggressive bids on about 20 items and was being customarily outbid on almost all. Books in 9.8 with thin census representation are going to go ballistic. Man,I would miss those books if I were selling.....GOD BLESS....

+1!

Yeah, it's going to bring in more money than most of us could ever dream of having for him but I DEFINITELY agree with you and would miss the mess out of them! Hell, I don't have a hundredth of the class of books he has and I would miss them something fierce if I had to sell. I'm sure he has his reasons and I'm sure he won't be too sad when that HA check comes in the mail but personally, I just could not let all of the beauties go unless it were life and death (shrug)

Today was my first day off since the auction started and I've got to say that this is one of the strongest offerings of any Comic auction I've seen yet.....unless you collect early SA D.C. books. Other than that it's astounding. This will give us a good indicator of just how strong and deep the market really is. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: GOD BLESS....

Adventures of the Fly

Adventures of the Jaguar

Drag Cartoons

Fox & the Crow

Mystery in Space

Tales of the Unexpected

Flash

Green Lantern

Spooky

Wendy

Little Dot

Hot Stuff

rantrant

My understanding was that they saved the drek for the weekly Sunday auctions.

:baiting:

Today was my first day off since the auction started and I've got to say that this is one of the strongest offerings of any Comic auction I've seen yet.....unless you collect early SA D.C. books. Other than that it's astounding. This will give us a good indicator of just how strong and deep the market really is. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: GOD BLESS....

i pity the poor Marvel gatherer; us savvy DC collectors don't have to be concerned with things like: too many books, too little $, another better copy coming down the pike next week. this month in Heritage and Clink i bid on two books- oh, the excitement never wanes.

i pity the poor Marvel gatherer; us savvy DC collectors don't have to be concerned with things like: too many books, too little $, another better copy coming down the pike next week. this month in Heritage and Clink i bid on two books- oh, the excitement never wanes.

Hey, there are tons of high grade DC's out there. You just don't want to pay Marvel prices for them.

lol

....the ones they do have are decent.......it looks like the fears that the Toth and Toronto collections were just the tip of the iceberg were unfounded. I'm not even going to TRY to win the Showcase 6 or the Superman 123 ( a rare Sprang 3-parter)......and they're only 8.0.....GOD BLESS....

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

......yeah, put me together a 9.0 run of World's Finest 71-150......I'll be by to pick them up after I get back from Holiday.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friendof jesus) (thumbs u