• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead #100 15 Covers

486 posts in this topic

hmmm according to Newsarama, there are ONLY 13 cvrs? Who said that there were 15 cvrs??

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/walking-dead-100-sold-out-384k-orders.html

PLUS the print run for WD 100 is 384,000... I would have thought it would break the 500k mark

There are two covers that haven't been released yet to my knowledge. One is a black cover with red lettered title and the other is all white.

are those gonna be like the 2nd or 3rd printing??? or are they gonna be another retailer/show exclusive??

If I had to guess, I would say that the black & red cover is going to be released at Chicago to Walking Dead VIP Ticket holders & that the white one will be mid-Ohio b/c its blank & the whole cast will probably go to promote the new TV season, but that is 100% speculation.

I can't speak to any future WD #100 variants, but there's no chance whatsoever the whole cast of Walking Dead will go to Mid Ohio. It's a mid-tier, regional Wizard World show where the top "celebrities" are people like Lou Ferrigno and Dean Cain.

There's speculation and then there's "just making random things up" - that statement was entirely in the latter category :thumbsup:

Last year we had Walter Koenig!

lol

Well that would be well worth the effort to be sure. Otherwise when I hear Ohio I am reminded of Wayne and Garth's excitement of appearing in Delaware on the blue screen.

Hi, We're in . . . Delaware.

If you go HERE it clearly states, "First 10,000 survivors will receive a Walking Dead variant".

So...safe to say the print run was at least 10,000 on this one. That being said, there were plenty of unsold tickets, so plenty of copies that have not (yet) been distributed. If/when these books hit the market will certainly play a large part in the long-term value, as I would say this accounts for roughly half of the print run, and these copies are all still minty-fresh. That being said, the copies that ARE out there are certainly a mixed bag. It seemed to me that most participants didn't care about the comic in the slightest, and these books are likely (a) thrashed, and (b) discarded in a drawer somewhere. So...as of now, I'd guess that there may be as many as 2500 nice copies to be had, with another 5000 waiting for an opportunity to surface.

So it seems like the only variants that are of true "speculative value" are the 1:200 and the comixology?

I bought a 1:200 at my LCS since I'm a fan of the series, and wanted to support my LCS, but just wondering if there's any use in picking up another from another shop.

Agreed. I think the price on this book is nuts. Given the comparable print runs, it should be only marginally more expensive than the B&W SDCC variant, which is basically a $15 book since they were all dumped on the market at once. The Escape variant should get points for having a unique cover (rather than a retread), but the current price is much more a result of perceived scarcity rather than actual scarcity.

I did the escape on Thursday after seeing how they handed them out not many 9.6 or better made it out alive lol

The escape is a $80 book raw...cost to do the escape .. I got offered $20-85 per book outside the event by what I assume to be boardies lol

The Ottley BW was selling for more then $200-300 at the con

All my 2c

Yeah, the one shop down here that got it was selling it for $450 and it sold. I just don't see why it's so much with a 500 print run. Figured it's just the hype.

I think it's a couple of things:

1.) The way the book was distributed, you are lucky to get your hands on even one copy

2.) the rarest variant of an extremely hot book, and the one everyone will need to complete their set

3.) fantastic cover

4.) I think the rarest variant of a landmark issue which is the focal point of an incredible amount of attention will always be more desirable, and therefore more valuable, than any other random variant for any other regular issues. For example: Even though the print run of the WD 94 B&W Image Expo book is only 200, I think the demand for the rarest WD 100 variant far outstrips demand for WD 94 B&W, so the value of the Comixology WD 100 will be greater than the value of the WD 94 variant, even though the print run is higher.

The escape is a $80 book raw...cost to do the escape
I don't get that logic. Do I get to be chased by zombies through an obstacle course if I pay the $80?

Kinda like pricing some SDCC door prize at what the ticket cost, since you have to buy a ticket to get one.

The escape is a $80 book raw...cost to do the escape
I don't get that logic. Do I get to be chased by zombies through an obstacle course if I pay the $80?

Kinda like pricing some SDCC door prize at what the ticket cost, since you have to buy a ticket to get one.

I have to agree. Since apparently most contestants crumpled up the comic or threw it away I can't price it at the cost of the event. If I were so inclined I could get 20 graded 9.8's for about $1k.

Yeah, the one shop down here that got it was selling it for $450 and it sold. I just don't see why it's so much with a 500 print run. Figured it's just the hype.

I think it's a couple of things:

1.) The way the book was distributed, you are lucky to get your hands on even one copy

2.) the rarest variant of an extremely hot book, and the one everyone will need to complete their set

3.) fantastic cover

4.) I think the rarest variant of a landmark issue which is the focal point of an incredible amount of attention will always be more desirable, and therefore more valuable, than any other random variant for any other regular issues. For example: Even though the print run of the WD 94 B&W Image Expo book is only 200, I think the demand for the rarest WD 100 variant far outstrips demand for WD 94 B&W, so the value of the Comixology WD 100 will be greater than the value of the WD 94 variant, even though the print run is higher.

I can't say I disagree with your logic but I think what we're seeing is a scramble. So many people bought multiple copies of 100 that they are now looking for a rare version or don't want to miss one variant after "investing" in all the others. I would guess your comixology is high. The 81 Comicspro and the 94 ImageExpo followed similar pricing patterns.

Seriously at this point I'm just waiting for that one person who got the escape variant, doesn't give a mess about comic books in the least, and doesn't look too much into what they go for on eBay and just posts it up for $15 hoping someone buys it.

That's why I've been refreshing the search often sorting via newly listed to catch it as it goes up :grin:

Aaaaaandd I probably just got more competition after writing that lol

lol

Well that would be well worth the effort to be sure. Otherwise when I hear Ohio I am reminded of Wayne and Garth's excitement of appearing in Delaware on the blue screen.

Hi, We're in . . . Delaware.

You should have heard the audience reaction to that when I saw it in the theatre. ;)

the one problem with the escape variant is for those of you who weren't there, you really have no idea how many people messed up their copies. i was there for several hours, and i'm the only one i saw treating it decently. i SMH at so many people folding theirs. very very few people are really talking about the possible moisture damage (my auction on ebay is probably the only one, and i'm the only one with pics from the top of the book so you know it's not wavy). i was offering people money for theirs, and turned down a few copies because they were already wavy and they wanted more than i was willing to spend. people will pay good money because it's highly likely you will get a bent, wavy copy. that's not to say there won't be a lot of nice copies, just that's it easily as likely that you will get a bad copy as getting a good copy.

and really, just because they printed 10,000 or so, how do we know they will release the copies they didn't give out?

As much as I agree with being there and seeing bent/moisture copies at the end of the day there will be plenty of nice copies. It's just the percentages given the print run. I am reminded of RASL 1 at C2E2 their 1st year. There was literally a carpet layer of RAsL 1's just outside the convention hall. There were a multitude of nice copies.

I realize this is a hotter title so more demand and the obstacle course but the percentage of the print run required to satisfy demand for high grade collectors is just too small.

Will there be some collectors willing to pay more because they are frustrated seeing the bad copies. Probably. Will a 9.8 be RARE? No.

As much as I agree with being there and seeing bent/moisture copies at the end of the day there will be plenty of nice copies. It's just the percentages given the print run.

Will there be some collectors willing to pay more because they are frustrated seeing the bad copies. Probably.

i completely agree with this. i do think however, that these books will go down in price soon, just right now if you have a decent copy, you can still get a decent price on them. should end up around $25-40 imo.