• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead #100 15 Covers

486 posts in this topic

Or does it all just come down to what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks?

I think it's more of people disliking a publisher/creative team/whatever actively exploiting them.

I think it's more of people disliking a publisher/creative team/whatever actively exploiting them.

Having only paid only $3.99 (NH, no sales tax :acclaim:), I think it was the key ingrediant to this book's success with me (just wanted to read it). I can't imagine paying $1k+ on all the variants graded to just have them for a Registry Set bragging rights though. This is from a guy who bought an ASM #100 in CGC 9.8 for $3,300 though. lol

That whole argument about hating something because it's popular or because of 'hype' is total garbage, imo. Why should your opinion change based on what others think? Do you want to never be considered, trendy? If you aren't trendy, then you must be cool, right? C'mon...

Before the TV show, TWD was the book that everyone knew about but no one was reading. Now its the book that everyone knows about and everyone is reading. Diehards probably feel like the little 'indy' book will lose its 'indy' feel because of the hype. OMG could you imagine if they printed an issue in color? :o

I agree with you. As long as the book is telling an awesome story and helping your LCS I see no reason to complain.

Complaining about something becoming popular is dumb, but complaining because something you liked has changed drastically for one reason or another is not. Walking Dead in color would suck. I would be complaining about the variants if for some reason I had to buy them, like in the 90's when the only option was the chromium gimmick cover. Since I can skip them easily it's no big deal. If they wrote Deadpool into the story to sell a few more issues, I'd be complaining though, because I actually read it. Not just collect slabs of it.

That whole argument about hating something because it's popular or because of 'hype' is total garbage, imo. Why should your opinion change based on what others think? Do you want to never be considered, trendy? If you aren't trendy, then you must be cool, right? C'mon...

Before the TV show, TWD was the book that everyone knew about but no one was reading. Now its the book that everyone knows about and everyone is reading. Diehards probably feel like the little 'indy' book will lose its 'indy' feel because of the hype. OMG could you imagine if they printed an issue in color? :o

I agree with you. As long as the book is telling an awesome story and helping your LCS I see no reason to complain.

Complaining about something becoming popular is dumb, but complaining because something you liked has changed drastically for one reason or another is not. Walking Dead in color would suck. I would be complaining about the variants if for some reason I had to buy them, like in the 90's when the only option was the chromium gimmick cover. Since I can skip them easily it's no big deal. If they wrote Deadpool into the story to sell a few more issues, I'd be complaining though, because I actually read it. Not just collect slabs of it.
This. Sometimes things that were small change when they get bigger and are not as good. There was a discussion a while back as to whether AMC would be ok with Kirkman killing Rick. Realities like this can make storylines more predictable and this can make them less enjoyable. Regardless, I still like WD, just quite as much as I did during the prison arc. (thumbs u

Yeah I just read #100 today. Still enjoying the series. I don't feel like it's changed in any way so far. Except the slew of manufactured collectibles surrounding it, but that doesn't effect the story any.

Posted this in the "Moderns heating up" thread by mistake. Meant to put it here.

Looks like people are making their own blank variants of WD 100. Anyone know the story with this? Legitimate or not?

Fake Blank?

Image Comics presents: Walking Dead #100

{This issue comes with an Super Rare attached blank cover that you can get personally sketched. When you open the front page, the regular F cover appears. These are professionally made and VERY LIMITED. Staples are perfect. You couldn't tell this was custom made. Don't miss your chance to get this true "unique" variant cover. Be sure to check my other ads for more covers}

Yesterday, I was in the area of an LCS that I go to on occassion, and they were all sold out. I went to my main LCS today and got all 8, plus the chrome, and the only 1:200 B/W Adlard. So, I'm happy. I'm gonna try to get all 15 of them, but, not really confident on shelling out the $$$ for the Comixology one.

Before the TV show, TWD was the book that everyone knew about but no one was reading.

not even remotely true. now, if you had said way less people were reading, yeah, but don't be silly.

Sorry, are you suggesting that we are being exploited because of this? If so, I am dumfounded, because if you think a comic book creator or company putting out a few variants is exploitation you need a serious reality check, or at the very least a day trip to a far east sweatshop.

Like I said before, don't buy them if you don't want to , there's no gun to your head.

If you just want a copy for your run, you can by the 'something to fear' copy, which slots right in with the rest of the run.

Sorry, are you suggesting that we are being exploited because of this? If so, I am dumfounded, because if you think a comic book creator or company putting out a few variants is exploitation you need a serious reality check, or at the very least a day trip to a far east sweatshop.

Like I said before, don't buy them if you don't want to , there's no gun to your head.

If you just want a copy for your run, you can by the 'something to fear' copy, which slots right in with the rest of the run.

earlier someone said they were taking advantage of completists. it's getting ridiculous, and i'm not talking about the number of variants.

So I just read that the Escape cover has 10,000 print run. What do you think of the current valuation of $100-140 on this then? Too high or low?

The 1:200 should have a print run of 1500 and is going for around $225-300.

The 500 print Comixology is going for around $500.

earlier someone said they were taking advantage of completists. it's getting ridiculous, and i'm not talking about the number of variants.

:roflmao: that IS ridiculous.

Before the TV show, TWD was the book that everyone knew about but no one was reading.

not even remotely true. now, if you had said way less people were reading, yeah, but don't be silly.

I meant "no one" to mean that more people were aware of the book and its compelling story than were actually reading it in comparison to other mainstream titles. What you wanted me to say is actually what I meant. I only said it as a broad generalization to compare readership and sales in Oct 2010 when the show premiered to the present. Was never meant to be taken literally like you did.

So I just read that the Escape cover has 10,000 print run. What do you think of the current valuation of $100-140 on this then? Too high or low?

The 1:200 should have a print run of 1500 and is going for around $225-300.

The 500 print Comixology is going for around $500.

The escape cover will be $50 tops in a month. The 1:200 will come down to mid 100's eventually (i'm annoyed I had no impulse control and bought one). The Comixology should hold value but probably in the 200-300 range.

The #94 image expo sketch and the #81 comicspro had print runs of 200 and those aren't as expensive even though the 94 sketch is one of the coolest covers in my opinion besides the #50 superhero variant. These may stay high in price for a while but it always comes down to quantity available.

Just my opinion.

If you think that comic publishers don't publish a dozen variants to a comic as a cash grab, then I am the one who is dumbfounded. They are counting on that portion of the collecting base to purchase all the variants to a comic. Do you honestly believe they expect everyone to buy just one copy of a comic when they do this? Really? Really?

Do you remember how many covers there were to issue #50? 1) first print. 2) 2nd print. 3) superhero variant. That's it. And that was only because it was a landmark anniversary number. Walking Dead has quickly ramped up this practice, though, the last couple of years. This nonsense of inundating the hobby with variants is idiotic and cannibalizing, and it's sad to see such a great independent book fall in line with this sort of, imho, greedy behavior.

By the way, I got your reality check in the mail, but it was rejected for insufficient funds.

Really? I heard anywhere from 200 - 300. Somewhere I heard 400 but never over 500.

EDIT: Why hasn't anyone come up with a good system for print run information? Even new issues like Saga. You look at the boards for Saga and there's 20 different people with 20 different print run estimates.