• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2013, July 18-21, San Diego, Ca.

577 posts in this topic

My advice is, if there is a panel you really want to attend, you need to wait in line an hour ahead of time (or however long the previous panel is scheduled for) in order to ensure you get in.

There were several panels I missed the year I went because I wasn't in line soon enough.

My advice is, if there is a panel you really want to attend, you need to wait in line an hour ahead of time (or however long the previous panel is scheduled for) in order to ensure you get in.

There were several panels I missed the year I went because I wasn't in line soon enough.

Or, If it's in Hall H or Ballroom 20, getting there 4 hours early MIGHT get you in.

Or, If it's in Hall H or Ballroom 20, getting there 4 hours early MIGHT get you in.

1. Go back in time and be a journalist at for Bleeding Cool or CBT, or an intern for Marvel/Dc/Image, or a volunteer for SDCC.

2. Cut a hole in a box.

I remember the good old days when the doors were always open for the panels, and you could come and go as you pleased. No line-ups anywhere. Those were the days.

You have officially cross the threshold and have become one of those "old guys" that hangs out in the Gold Comics section. :preach:

Busy day so far. Walked the floor to get a lay of the land. Stopped in @ the Chuck jones Gallery, took a late lunch, then headed back to my room to take a break. I'll be making one more pass through the con floor later tonight, and then catching dinner.

20130716_133957.jpg

20130716_131353.jpg

20130716_131336.jpg

20130716_131315.jpg

20130716_125821.jpg

20130716_125724.jpg

20130716_122838.jpg

20130716_123419.jpg

20130716_124417_1.jpg

20130716_122628.jpg

I remember the good old days when the doors were always open for the panels, and you could come and go as you pleased. No line-ups anywhere. Those were the days.

You have officially cross the threshold and have become one of those "old guys" that hangs out in the Gold Comics section. :preach:

Hard to argue with that. I think this is my 31st SDCC. :o

my first was 1988...so 26th for me I believe

You don't look a day over 29. ;)

:) Cant wait. Can't wait. FUN FUN. I love looking at books and seeing what everyone has and then to negotiate. FUN!!!!!!! Also all the costumes around the place. 24 hrs and less. If u see me, I will have the mohawk and 2 female sidekicks. No joke. Also I hope HA auctions bring some books I use to own and say "WTF" was I doing to sell these and now to see them for sale and I can't afford them anymore (HA catalog just received and I want to cry).

21st for me. And I do remember those days! These days I miss all kinds of panels I'd love to see. I am obsessed with the Walking Dead but there is no way I would even wait one hour to get in there. Besides, someone will post a video of the panel later anyway. The biggest mindblower for me last year was how many people waited hours in line just to get an SDCC 2013 Batman T-shirt! And it lasted for days straight until they sold out. Or others will rush around and wait and wait just to buy some exclusive to sell for a bit of profit. To each their own I guess. Lines are just a waste of life as far as I'm concerned but it is entertaining watching what people will go through for a bit of excitement or profit.

21st for me. And I do remember those days! These days I miss all kinds of panels I'd love to see. I am obsessed with the Walking Dead but there is no way I would even wait one hour to get in there. Besides, someone will post a video of the panel later anyway. The biggest mindblower for me last year was how many people waited hours in line just to get an SDCC 2013 Batman T-shirt! And it lasted for days straight until they sold out. Or others will rush around and wait and wait just to buy some exclusive to sell for a bit of profit. To each their own I guess. Lines are just a waste of life as far as I'm concerned but it is entertaining watching what people will go through for a bit of excitement or profit.

My friends and I would go in the late 80s. You walked up to front, paid $10 or so.. They gave you a SDCC badge (or sticker can't remember) to hand write your name on. We would always write Ozzy Ozborne or Joey Ramone or something fun on it.. And off you went.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how many Preview Night passes they sell?

Just wondering how crazy lines will be to purchase exclusives and get some Robert Kirkman and Jim Lee sigs.

This is either my 21st or 22nd, my first year was 1992. (ah, the first big year of Image Comics, Jack Kirby's 75th birthday, etc.) I do miss those days, and while I try to minimize line waiting it's inevitable. I was stunned to see the lines for SDCC t-shirts, but this year they actually offered pre-sales I believe. My Con philosophy sometimes is, "ooh, a short line, I gotta jump in it." Nowadays, though, when even the ATM, Starbucks, or food cart lines are long, the lines inside are even worse...

I don't know how many Preview Night passes were sold, but to me, it's now the BUSIEST day of the show for some reason. The only good news is that there is SO MUCH merchandise for sale this year, it seems, that people will have to choose between Hasbro, Mattel, Bandai, Marvel, DC/Graphitti, Dark Horse, IDW, Lego, etc, so maybe, theoretically, maybe it won't be so bad? Oh, who am I kidding? Every line will be long... :)

Sadly, I'm too dumb to go back to panels but every year I hold out hope that I'll wisen up and not fight the floor traffic all of the con. I enjoy the panels, but I guess I enjoy the thrill of the hunt even more. Even celebrating a milestone birthday won't stop me this year, I hope. :)

Oh, one important FYI for those of you attending the show - Image Comics doesn't seem to have individual creator tables anymore. Therefore, pay attention to their posted signing schedule, as those times are the ONLY times to find those creators.

Watching the booths get built today was exciting, already did some scouting and shopping. But tomorrow, the madness BEGINS!