• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

1,012 posts in this topic

Good thing he was able to get these silly comicbook movies out of the way so he can do what he really wants to do (thumbs u

I think he wants to push the envelope of sci-fi by integrating more art into it, something Ridley Scott likes to do as well, except that Nolan is a much better writer--I don't recall ever seeing Ridley write or significantly contribute to a screenplay other than to tell someone else to re-write one due to specific issues. He saw a chance to do that with Batman and jumped on it, but he doesn't want that to be the only thing he's known for. He's on a similar path as George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, except that he is more arty than Lucas ever was and from a much earlier age than Spielberg was who didn't seem to go for communicating more meaningful and universal themes until later in his career.

I've decided all my problems with the movie are based on comparing it to what I think batman should be. When I should be judging it as its own thing...taken together as a trilogy these movies are pretty awesome and they did something the comics will never do by having a resolution for Bruce. The more I think about it the more I'm feeling what they did in the end.

I had reservations about the first movie and the revision of Batman's origin but enjoyed everything about the DK Rises. The plot was more interesting than most superhero movies. Action scenes were complex. Bat-toys were fun to watch and performed in an amazing manner. Bale's voice didn't annoy me as much and Bane seemed like a really nasty villian who mumbled occasionally. Robin was a nice touch. Alfred showed real emotion. Prison scenes had great actors doing bit parts. Catwoman was an interesting character.

It wasn't camp. They didn't use models that looked like they could fall apart. No comic book scenes were used (no Pow! or Bam!). It seemed real like James Bond or Mission Impossible but I like Batman better.

I thought the message was better too. Use your powers or abilities to do good things for other people, philanthropy or superheroism, is a worthwhile message.

I don't really see Heath Ledger as Joker some oustanding role he played... (shrug)??? and to find out by someone that he played in BrokeBack Mountain (which I will never watch) makes me think even less about it.. :sick: Maybe I'm in the minority..I actually think Jack Nicholason played a better Joker. :cool:

Don't know if the Heath Ledger being Joker was hyped up because of his death if we were to be honest about that... :gossip:

Sorry everyone if this derails.

Why would you not watch BBM?

Is it because the two central characters are gay? Its a very sad story told really well.

Do yourself a favour and watch it. This is 2012 after all.

Ed for sp.

Well I would not watch it because I have no interest in watching a "love story" between two homosexual men. I don't quite understand the year being 2012 has any relevance on my personal views?

I've decided all my problems with the movie are based on comparing it to what I think batman should be. When I should be judging it as its own thing...taken together as a trilogy these movies are pretty awesome and they did something the comics will never do by having a resolution for Bruce. The more I think about it the more I'm feeling what they did in the end.

I honestly don't believe you should have to judge it as it's own thing. If it were original and not based on 70 years of source material I would be inclined to agree with you.

I've read that the two easiest stories to write are the first one and the last one...it's the stuff in between that's the challenge when it comes to serial fiction. I would like to see Batman treated like James Bond...there are so many more stories to tell than just three movies worth.

I am in Durham... right down the street from the Nov Con

SPOILERS

There were some things I did not like about the movie but overall was very happy with the last installation. Overall I was was happy with the movie and will see it again.

Here are the issues:

-The music as others noted was not exactly what I would have chosen

-The movie was a bit long, it could have been shortened some

-The fact that Bruce Wayne goes into seclusion for 8yrs is a bit much and also this makes his physical recovery harder to believe

-Length of time that the city is cut off and under Bane rule is completely unrealistic

Here are the Highlights:

-The movie does a good job of integrating and concluding while leaving doors cracked

-LOVED the female representation in this movie two really BAD/good girls :-) nice to see women getting more play and importance

-Well written, directed, and produced... the trilogy is not your standard super hero type movies

-Impressive cinematography.

-loved having Bruce lose everything and die or pretend to die (whichever you believe) because that brings him closer to all the rest of us mere mortals

I too am looking forward to seeing it in IMAX, which was sold out since we went on opening day.

Hey where in NC are ya...good to see fellow NC boarders..! I don't think I've seen a movie in IMAX before..*lol*

I am in Durham... close to where the Nov Con will be

:hi:

Im probably in the minority but I didnt like it, I thought it was the weakest movie in the trilogy but thats just my opinion

Bane sounded like Sean Connery with Auto-tune

I wanted him to say, "Ra's Al Ghul taught you well, but you are not a Jedi yet." during there first fight. When he gets hit he sounds like Vader when takes a blow.

The Ras and Scarecrow appearances were awesome.

It would have been even better if they had broken Gotham's dirty little secret out of the depth's of Arkham and had Two-Face appear very briefly in Scarecrow's Kangaroo Court as a prosecuting attorney who flips a coin to decide which penalty the DA's office will seek. Scarred side for death, clean side for exile.

The fall he took in DK was NOT that far!

I wonder if they would have had a small appearance by Joker had Ledger not passed since he was last scene headed for incarceration.

How far was it, and how often do people who fall that far live? There's no way Nolan intended for him to be alive--it's too much of a stereotypically comic-book hocus-pocus story shortcut, he'd think it was lame as the rest of us would after seeing Marvel and DC try it far too often.

I don't really see Heath Ledger as Joker some oustanding role he played... (shrug)??? and to find out by someone that he played in BrokeBack Mountain (which I will never watch) makes me think even less about it.. :sick: Maybe I'm in the minority..I actually think Jack Nicholason played a better Joker. :cool:

Don't know if the Heath Ledger being Joker was hyped up because of his death if we were to be honest about that... :gossip:

You are not alone I love Jack as Joker in Batman. It's apples and oranges even if people like to say Jack was just being Jack. It's been awhile since I've seen it. In fact I don't think I have seen it since I got my big screen a few years ago. I used to watch it quite often and remains in my top 20 favorite films.

Bales takes a lot of mess too. However, I think he's a pretty goof combo of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Yeah, sometimes his Batman voice is a little off but at least he has the physicality to present himself as Batman. I liked Keaton as Batman, but he was a weak Wayne. Probably weighed as much as Basinger!

I found DK more entertaining than DKR and that is without being a true Ledger mark. I would have to see DKR again to decide if I like it better than Begins. However, unlike DK I will wait for Rises to come out on Blu-Ray before watching it a second time.

How far was it, and how often do people who fall that far live? There's no way Nolan intended for him to be alive--it's too much of a stereotypically comic-book hocus-pocus story shortcut, he'd think it was lame as the rest of us would after seeing Marvel and DC try it far too often.

Sorry but that was kind of a waste of the character. Besides how did Batman RUN away from that fall and then the next time we see him he needs a cane? The fall Bruce takes down the well looked farther and he only broke his damn arm. Even if it wasn't as far when I watched Begins last night I thought, "wow that was actually pretty far how is he not mangled!" it's not like he landed in water or 3 feet of mud.

You also thought Nolan wanted Ra's Al Ghul to merely be a title given to the leader of the League of Shadows :baiting:

AND guess what Nolan took a stereotypically comic-book hocus-pocus story shortcut with the MAIN character at the end of Rises, which could have been applied to Dent. Never saw a body after that fall. Closed coffin and all.

I think people get a little too carried away in saying something isn't real enough in these films because Nolan is shooting for more realistic world. NONE of this mess is realistic in any capacity!

Sorry but that was kind of a waste of the character. Besides how did Batman RUN away from that fall and then the next time we see him he needs a cane? You also thought Nolan wanted Ra's Al Ghul to merely be a title given to the leader of the League of Shadows :baiting:

Yea, I was wondering where his knee cartilage went too--I guess he must've been REALLY busy between Begins and TDK, because supposedly he did nothing after he took the rap for Dent. I didn't argue exclusively in favor of Al Ghul being a title--I argued in favor of Nolan leaving it open, of nobody knowing for sure based upon what he put into Begins. Rises has shown that's definitely not the case.

I was asking a serious question--how many stories did Dent fall? I asked because I can't tell. (shrug)

F

Sorry but that was kind of a waste of the character. Besides how did Batman RUN away from that fall and then the next time we see him he needs a cane? You also thought Nolan wanted Ra's Al Ghul to merely be a title given to the leader of the League of Shadows :baiting:

Yea, I was wondering where his knee cartilage went too--I guess he must've been REALLY busy between Begins and TDK, because supposedly he did nothing after he took the rap for Dent. I didn't argue exclusively in favor of Al Ghul being a title--I argued in favor of Nolan leaving it open, of nobody knowing for sure based upon what he put into Begins. Rises has shown that's definitely not the case.

I was asking a serious question--how many stories did Dent fall? I asked because I can't tell. (shrug)

The perspective of it may it difficult to tell and made even that feel open ended.

As for a sequel; I can hope, but after seeing how it ended, it is hard. Wayne Manor is now an orphanage for crying out loud. Let's face it, Christopher Nolan really wnated to do his best to ensure that other directors (and writers) could not do much with what is left...

Disagree--Nolan left the doors wide open. He doesn't need Wayne Manor as long as he has a base of operations somewhere. There's an infinity of writing possibilities, and Nolan himself opened them up by naming Robin and showing that Bruce was still alive--he didn't have to do either of those things and I was surprised he did, I figure Nolan did those things to make things easier for Warner to keep it going in the direction he started.

Nolan doesn't seem like the kind of director that's going to mold his vision to make it easier for the studio to proceed without him. I think he told the story that he wanted to tell. Bruce Wayne actually says half-way through the movie that it doesn't matter who wears the Batman costume, it's the idea that counts.

Nolan did what no other writer on Batman has ever done(as far as I know). He let Bruce Wayne heal. He let him move on to a normal life. I have no doubt that was an artistic decision, not a move to make Warner Brothers more money down the line.

And it was letting 'Bruce Wayne' heal that made this the least favorite part of the film. I am sorry guys, but in my mind Batman (or Bruce Wayne) is NOT supposed to heal. He is supposed to be a tortured soul much more obsessive than that of 'The Joker.' While this was NOT my 'vision' or my 'film' (and I would never say the movie was 'ruined' as a result of this ending); I just did not personally care for this ending.

That being said, I also like the Revenge of the Sith and dispise those fan boys who claim that 'George Lucas' 'raped' their childhood. Much like my view of the Star Wars prequels, this WAS Nolan's film and it was his right to end it any way he saw fit.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I saw DKR today and really enjoyed it. For me the trilogy was a Batman 'elseworlds' tale, complete unto itself.

My overall take is it that Nolan's main focus was on something repeated several times throughout DKR: "Batman could be anybody". So the trilogy was less 'superhero' and more 'epic destiny', where urban crime (parents murdered) leads a man to defeat overwhelming acts of terrorism (Ra's, Joker, Dent, and Bane).

Sometimes my imagination gets ahead of a film and there was a moment I thought "here it comes!". Batman and Bane were throwing down and Batman's fists hit Bane's headgear. It seemed to malfunction and Bane swings wild, knocking chunks from a wall... It's flooding his body with chemicals, Bane's going to get huge and 'roid rage!! Not too much. Keep it real...

Well, that didn't happen, but should've. But, then again, I've read way too many comics.

Just saw it with the wife. She absolutely hated Bane's voice to the point that she was laughing towards the end of the movie. :mad: I was not a big fan, and found the ADR/Editing of Tom Hardy's voice to be really, really bad. If anyone out there listens to Rush Limbaugh - Bane sounds like the guy who impersonates President Obama - super distracting. I was really bummed about about that, because I am a huge Tom Hardy fan.

Other than some uncharacteristically bad (for Nolan's films) expositional dialogue sprinkled throughout the movie - it was great. We got a great ending that didn't drag on and got to the point. I suspended my belief enough that I actually didn't figure out any of the things going on in the film ahead of time - so I left happy, surprised and satisfied. Pacing was good and it didn't feel like 2.5 hours (unlike TDK).

I was a little bummed they didn't get into the reasons behind the mask (maybe too unrealistic) and that the back-breaking scene was more WWE than iconic - but that's the details only comic people will care about, I suppose.

It will be interesting to see how people interpret this film six months from now.