• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

1,012 posts in this topic

SPOILERS

There were some things I did not like about the movie but overall was very happy with the last installation. Overall I was was happy with the movie and will see it again.

Here are the issues:

-The music as others noted was not exactly what I would have chosen

-The movie was a bit long, it could have been shortened some

-The fact that Bruce Wayne goes into seclusion for 8yrs is a bit much and also this makes his physical recovery harder to believe

-Length of time that the city is cut off and under Bane rule is completely unrealistic

Here are the Highlights:

-The movie does a good job of integrating and concluding while leaving doors cracked

-LOVED the female representation in this movie two really BAD/good girls :-) nice to see women getting more play and importance

-Well written, directed, and produced... the trilogy is not your standard super hero type movies

-Impressive cinematography.

-loved having Bruce lose everything and die or pretend to die (whichever you believe) because that brings him closer to all the rest of us mere mortals

I too am looking forward to seeing it in IMAX, which was sold out since we went on opening day.

Hey where in NC are ya...good to see fellow NC boarders..! I don't think I've seen a movie in IMAX before..*lol*

I Haven't yet seen the DKR.

I never viewed DK 2 as a pure superhero film. I viewed it as a cross between a comic book movie and and silence of the lambs. Therefore, in my mind a percentage of the audience would not take children to see this film. The Avengers was a well made popcorn flick. What child didn't enjoy Hulk Smash? There was enough levity and action to appeal to an older crowd that didn't mind the light Comic book genre.

My thesis is that the audience for the Avengers is going to be larger than the potential audience for DKR. As I read the reviews DKR is a much darker film and the plot should appeal to an older crowd. If the true test for the merit of the film is the box office receipt than the Avengers will prove to be a better film. As was said by many these truly are very different films appealing to many of us for very different reasons.

"Bale did manage to not use the goofy Bat-Voice nearly as much. It was subdued accept in the final Bane scene where he repeated himself about 5 times too many."

that was funny too, just thought about that..*lol*

Also Bale continuing to use the Batman voice AFTER Hathaway knew who he was...*lol* I actually thought that Hathaway would say during the seen with the bike "You can stop disguising your voice, I know who you are" *lol*

I don't really see Heath Ledger as Joker some oustanding role he played... (shrug)??? and to find out by someone that he played in BrokeBack Mountain (which I will never watch) makes me think even less about it.. :sick: Maybe I'm in the minority..I actually think Jack Nicholason played a better Joker. :cool:

Don't know if the Heath Ledger being Joker was hyped up because of his death if we were to be honest about that... :gossip:

Sorry everyone if this derails.

Why would you not watch BBM?

Is it because the two central characters are gay? Its a very sad story told really well.

Do yourself a favour and watch it. This is 2012 after all.

Ed for sp.

I don't really see Heath Ledger as Joker some oustanding role he played... (shrug)??? and to find out by someone that he played in BrokeBack Mountain (which I will never watch) makes me think even less about it.. :sick: Maybe I'm in the minority..I actually think Jack Nicholason played a better Joker. :cool:

Don't know if the Heath Ledger being Joker was hyped up because of his death if we were to be honest about that... :gossip:

Sorry everyone if this details.

Is it because the two central characters are gay? Its a very sad story told really well.

sadly, ignorance still exists in 2012

Short version:

1. This wasn't a Batman movie. This was a Nolan movie with hints of Batman elements.

2. Emo Batman? Really? An 8 year pouting session? Really?

3. Batman should be ten steps ahead. Not four behind. Having re-watched the first two in the last couple of days and now the third, I am struck by how far Nolan's Batman is a follower, not a leader. He parrots Raz Al Ghoul, Alfred, Fox and Gordon to fill in his gaps, and seems much more a responder than a creator. Batman is Sherlock Holmes with a mean left hook, not Superman fighting Lex Luthor but without superpowers. (Should I stand here? How should I track him? How should we order the supplies? What is my raison de, aw forget it.)

4. I didn't like a Scottsman's take on the Old West and American Christianity (Preacher) and I didn't like an Englishman's take on the American Superhero, interjected as it was with a healthy dose of class warfare and too much on the nose Occupy Wallstreet rhetoric.

5. I believe history will look back on Nolan's hubris and excesses in similar light to Burton's. That is to say, these are distinctly the director's films, which is hardly a compliment, in my humble opinion.

But trust me, my first take on this was much more eloquent.

I remembered one more point.

Alan Moore should be ecstatic that Watchmen finally got made. And it only took three films and starred a major DC character after all.

I didn't like a Scottsman's take on the Old West and American Christianity (Preacher) and I didn't like an Englishman's take on the American Superhero, interjected as it was with a healthy dose of class warfare and too much on the nose Occupy Wallstreet rhetoric.

Didn't Bruce lose a good chunk of his fortune by investing in a failed clean energy program? Where's the out cry from the left?

I think the 'political messages' that people are seeing in this film just aren't there.

After all, it is a rich white guy that saves the day.

I believe history will look back on Nolan's hubris and excesses in similar light to Burton's. That is to say, these are distinctly the director's films, which is hardly a compliment, in my humble opinion.

It's possible. TDK still holds up well for most people, 4 years later.

Myself, I wish Spider-man had a director with this kind of vision. The drama, action, romance and suspence within the first 100 issues is just begging for someone to do it as an epic.

I'm jealous.

And you didn't like Preacher? Blasphemy! lol

You preferred the sharp dressed man in a purple suit prancing around to BBM?

Sorry everyone if this derails.

Ed for sp.

+1

Brokeback Mountain is an excellent film. :sumo:

I saw the TDKR last night and I thought it was great. I enjoyed TDK better but I really enjoyed the new movie.

As I've said before....we can rip apart every movie and point out flaws. I go to movies for entertainment. If i'm not entertained I don't enjoy the movie.

TDKR entertained me and I plan on seeing it again.

Thumbs up from me :)

Saw it last night, liked it a lot. Was with my girlfriend who I usually try not to take to comic book movies and she liked it as well, which is a first for her. She usually doesn't like Anne Hathaway but thought it was her best movie aside from "The Devil Loves Prada." Might go see it again in IMAX--saw it on a non-IMAX screen and the movie theater was packed on a Tuesday night even though the theater was showing it every half-hour, that surprised me.

Loved the "rise" challenge while Bruce was convalescing, hated the on-the-fly-chiropracty. Didn't think I'd like the batwing but I did a lot. Liked Bane a little more once I learned about his origins, but not a lot, found him less compelling than Ra's and leagues less so than Joker. Thought his strangely amplified voice was distractingly fake-sounding. Why did he sound like that? (shrug)

3P39V -- can you not have a 2000 pixel wide image in your sig? You're causing every single thread you post in to require annoying horizontal scrolling. If you split the image up into separate ones for each cover, then the browser can wrap them over to the next line to prevent forced horizontal scrolling.

As for a sequel; I can hope, but after seeing how it ended, it is hard. Wayne Manor is now an orphanage for crying out loud. Let's face it, Christopher Nolan really wnated to do his best to ensure that other directors (and writers) could not do much with what is left...

Disagree--Nolan left the doors wide open. He doesn't need Wayne Manor as long as he has a base of operations somewhere. There's an infinity of writing possibilities, and Nolan himself opened them up by naming Robin and showing that Bruce was still alive--he didn't have to do either of those things and I was surprised he did, I figure Nolan did those things to make things easier for Warner to keep it going in the direction he started.

As for a sequel; I can hope, but after seeing how it ended, it is hard. Wayne Manor is now an orphanage for crying out loud. Let's face it, Christopher Nolan really wnated to do his best to ensure that other directors (and writers) could not do much with what is left...

Disagree--Nolan left the doors wide open. He doesn't need Wayne Manor as long as he has a base of operations somewhere. There's an infinity of writing possibilities, and Nolan himself opened them up by naming Robin and showing that Bruce was still alive--he didn't have to do either of those things and I was surprised he did, I figure Nolan did those things to make things easier for Warner to keep it going in the direction he started.

Nolan doesn't seem like the kind of director that's going to mold his vision to make it easier for the studio to proceed without him. I think he told the story that he wanted to tell. Bruce Wayne actually says half-way through the movie that it doesn't matter who wears the Batman costume, it's the idea that counts.

Nolan did what no other writer on Batman has ever done(as far as I know). He let Bruce Wayne heal. He let him move on to a normal life. I have no doubt that was an artistic decision, not a move to make Warner Brothers more money down the line.

Nolan doesn't seem like the kind of director that's going to mold his vision to make it easier for the studio to proceed without him.

I suspect he wasn't entirely wild about doing this movie at all because it risks pigeonholing him as the greatest Batman director. He likely did it at least partially so that Warner would keep funding his big-budget projects like "Inception" indefinitely that look riskier to the bean counters. Warner wanted "Rises" a year or two ago, but I bet Nolan pushed "Inception" to make the point he didn't want to just keep cranking out within the same long-established "Batman" story framework. He was already famous and had proven himself more than most directors do when "The Dark Knight" made him WIDELY known, but banking a second huge surefire bankroll for Warner seals the deal for his reputation as a profitable director. Warner's execs are likely to be grateful for a decade or more, freeing him up to do almost whatever he wants, however he wants it. This movie helps get him closer to the type of financial clout and individual investment power that every director wants to be in and that usually only guys like Oliver Stone, Steven Spielberg, or James Cameron sit in--great position to be in at the age of 41 when just a decade ago he had to fight to get studios to buy his ideas.

But at the same time, he obviously loves the material and immersed himself in the story. Given the blank check Warner will now give him almost anytime he wants it, I suspect he preferred to keep their options open. There wasn't a great story reason to write a hard ending into his trilogy, and the entire Robin arc seems to invite another director to pick up for him.

3P39V -- can you not have a 2000 pixel wide image in your sig? You're causing every single thread you post in to require annoying horizontal scrolling. If you split the image up into separate ones for each cover, then the browser can wrap them over to the next line to prevent forced horizontal scrolling.

+1 Thank you