• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

1,012 posts in this topic

I thought Bane's voice was fine, I thought it fit the character and he sounded a bit like he does in the Animated Series. He has a mask covering his face, how did you people expect him to sound?

Dark Knight was smarter and more clever, so anything less would feel like a disappointment, when it comes to a batman movie, you have to suspend reality. You guys are complaining about his leg cartalige but yet, a tumbler running across rooftops and making jumps and shooting at criminals...all makes sense?

Just saw it with the wife. She absolutely hated Bane's voice to the point that she was laughing towards the end of the movie. :mad: I was not a big fan, and found the ADR/Editing of Tom Hardy's voice to be really, really bad. If anyone out there listens to Rush Limbaugh - Bane sounds like the guy who impersonates President Obama - super distracting. I was really bummed about about that, because I am a huge Tom Hardy fan.

Other than some uncharacteristically bad (for Nolan's films) expositional dialogue sprinkled throughout the movie - it was great. We got a great ending that didn't drag on and got to the point. I suspended my belief enough that I actually didn't figure out any of the things going on in the film ahead of time - so I left happy, surprised and satisfied. Pacing was good and it didn't feel like 2.5 hours (unlike TDK).

I was a little bummed they didn't get into the reasons behind the mask (maybe too unrealistic) and that the back-breaking scene was more WWE than iconic - but that's the details only comic people will care about, I suppose.

It will be interesting to see how people interpret this film six months from now.

Yeah, the back break was under shadowed entirely too much. This was a pivotal point in Batman history and it was hardly referenced. I saw the movie with 4 others and had to explain to all of them afterwards that Bane had broken his back.

Just came back from seeing it and really liked it. Although like others I didn't like Bane's voice and couldn't understand what he was saying at times. Also the "mood" music playing at times when he talked didn't help trying to figure out what he was saying.

Overall though it was very well done and I will see it again.

Just saw it with the wife. She absolutely hated Bane's voice to the point that she was laughing towards the end of the movie. :mad: I was not a big fan, and found the ADR/Editing of Tom Hardy's voice to be really, really bad. If anyone out there listens to Rush Limbaugh - Bane sounds like the guy who impersonates President Obama - super distracting. I was really bummed about about that, because I am a huge Tom Hardy fan.

Other than some uncharacteristically bad (for Nolan's films) expositional dialogue sprinkled throughout the movie - it was great. We got a great ending that didn't drag on and got to the point. I suspended my belief enough that I actually didn't figure out any of the things going on in the film ahead of time - so I left happy, surprised and satisfied. Pacing was good and it didn't feel like 2.5 hours (unlike TDK).

I was a little bummed they didn't get into the reasons behind the mask (maybe too unrealistic) and that the back-breaking scene was more WWE than iconic - but that's the details only comic people will care about, I suppose.

It will be interesting to see how people interpret this film six months from now.

Yeah, the back break was under shadowed entirely too much. This was a pivotal point in Batman history and it was hardly referenced. I saw the movie with 4 others and had to explain to all of them afterwards that Bane had broken his back.

Intitially I thought the same thing, then it hit me that we shouldn't assume Nolan was completely replicating the comic story. Maybe in the movie he doesn't break his back, but dislocates the vertebrae and is something that is more recoverable in the time frame alloted to diffuse the bomb?

(shrug)

Intitially I thought the same thing, then it hit me that we shouldn't assume Nolan was completely replicating the comic story. Maybe in the movie he doesn't break his back, but dislocates the vertebrae and is something that is more recoverable in the time frame alloted to diffuse the bomb?

(shrug)

Could be, but then you turn off your built in fan base with the under-shadowing.

o.k. I found a better way to enjoy this movie the 2nd go round...

I watched it on IMAX tonight and I think I am more forgiving of the

major holes in the story, if you just say screw it "it's Batman" and

not get hung up on the odd details.

9 out of 10!

(worship)

Well I just saw this with my wife and her sister.

Major disappointment for me.

For a film about Batman that was this long, there was hardly any Batman and the villains were no where near in the class of Joker OR Two-Face.

Banes voice was horrible, Bruce Wayne goes from being a cripple with a cane to being able to beat up Bane etc after doing a Rocky style montage in a prison, what is up with Oldman's hair? Ra's daughter was so obviously who she was that my wife's sister said 'she's gonna be a baddie' (and she hasn't even seen the other two) as soon as she appeared, why would flooding a chamber stop a nuclear explosion? etc, etc, etc

That needed at least an hour cut out of it.

Some good points, Anne Hathaway was far and away the best part of it, nice 'Bat', Caine doing a bit of acting for a chance, good motorbike chase.

I adored TDK but for this years big films?

Avengers was far, far superior.

I was a little bummed they didn't get into the reasons behind the mask (maybe too unrealistic).

Do you mean the specifics of how the mask was interacting with his face? Talia explained the purpose--he got mauled by inmates protecting her and was left with horrible facial injuries and she said the mask somehow reduced his pain. I'm curious about the specifics, but if I studied the design long enough, I might be able to figure it out. My quick guess was that the little metal tubes delivered some sort of painkiller with some indeterminate constant frequency.

Just saw it the second time. Liked it the first time, loved it the second. Somehow the ending registered even better with me the second time around.

Agreed.

Your able to take more of it in knowing whats coming.

We're seeing it today in 2D. My son has also agreed to accompany me on this second go around. Well, primarily because he doesn't want to hang out with his Mom and sister at the mall looking at clothes (neither do I for that matter). Fingers crossed that he won't become too bored or restless. He's 9 and The Avengers is more his speed. He likes Batman primarily because of the Lego and Arkham series of video games, but is not into the comics or the movies. Hopefully, this will open a new field of interest for him.

Liked the way the Director left how the ending was possible up to viewers imagination. Although the movie dragged at times in the middle (wife dozed off for 10mins) the ending was worth it. I found it uplifting. I think that was the Director's intent.

I was a little bummed they didn't get into the reasons behind the mask (maybe too unrealistic).

Do you mean the specifics of how the mask was interacting with his face? Talia explained the purpose--he got mauled by inmates protecting her and was left with horrible facial injuries and she said the mask somehow reduced his pain. I'm curious about the specifics, but if I studied the design long enough, I might be able to figure it out. My quick guess was that the little metal tubes delivered some sort of painkiller with some indeterminate constant frequency.

Since he went into immediate pain when Buce damaged the mask...how does he eat?

I finally saw it yesterday. I was pleased with it overall. It dragged a bit and there were many little things that I felt could have been removed, but overall it was very well done.

Bane's voice was my biggest complaint. I sat there the whole movie picking up only a word or two here and there. However I picked up on it and could understand him perfectly the last 15 or 20 mins of the movie. However, my fiancé said she had no trouble understanding him from the beginning. She is a high school teacher, though, and is properly trained where I am not.

They could have done more to explain Bane, but in retrospect they have yet to investigate any of the bad guys in this series so far.

As evil as Bane was I didn't get the feel of terror from him that I felt from Joker. I do think I need to watch it a few more times before it all meshes. It wasn't as busy as watching a Transformers movie, but it wasn't simple enough to comprehend with a single viewing.

The Bat-Lisp is back in triumphant glory. I wish they could do the same voice from Batman Returns in the two sequals as it wasn't as annoying.

I thought the movie was great. Overall I might have liked it better than the Dark Knight Returns, but I'm not sure yet. I need to watch it a few more times before committing.

Though this movie was great, I think I enjoyed the Avengers more. It was just fun.

My final thought was that Catwoman rocked and I could have watched 3 hours of her in leather pants riding that motorcycle. The Batcycle was made for her. :luhv: