• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Comic Shops in NYC

31 posts in this topic

Hoping a NYC native can help me out here. I'm going to be heading to the city at the end of this month for a bit, and I'd love some suggestions as to good LCS. I'm sure there's huge stores more geared towards tourists, but I really enjoy shops with knowledgeable and passionate staff who don't mind chatting about the latest issues, or give recommendations for what to read.

Thanks in advance!

I'll be staying in West Manhattan, somewhere in the 70s.

go to metropolis comics. i had such a great time, and they are wonderful people. their bathroom is amazing! and they will give you at least a quick tour of the posters/artwork on their walls. simply amazing.

mid town is obviously the big tourist shop, but it's still a nice shop...and quite big.

Make an appointment to see Metro? Go home wearing a barrel?

Is Metro the same as Metropolis comics?

Yes, they are referring to Metropolis Comics!

If you are interested primarily in only the newer books, this would not be the best place to go to. As you know, Metro is much more to do with vintage investment quality books and not so much your typical LCS.

I remember going there back in the mid-90's and Fishler handing me the Church copies of Cap #1 and Adventure #40 to examine before shipping them off to Nicholas Cage. He asked me to take a look at them to see if I could spot the restoration work on them. With this prompting, I was able to successsfully guess at the parts of both books where the resto work was done.

So much for the story that Metro was selling books with undisclosed restoration to Nicholas Cage.

Definetly Midtown Comics (they have 2 locations in midtown and 1 downtown) and also Jim Hanleys.

I still go to the first Store Jim opened up on Staten Island when I was a kid when I go back to visit my parents. I got back into comics 20 years ago when I walked into Jim's Store on Staten island to sell my comics as a kid and walked out without selling those comics and $100 worth of Spider man/Venom items.

Used to be so many small comic stores in manhattan back in the 90's. alot has changed but still some good ones left.

As others have mentioned, Midtown Comics (but go to the one on 40th) and Time Machine. I'd also add a few more LCS that have different feels: Cosmic Comics on 23rd across from Shake Shack, Forbidden Planet on 13th (strictly new stuff and toys/statues) and St. Marks Comics on St. Mark's Place. None are show stoppers but all have a unique feel to them, and they're all fairly close to each other.

Definetly Cosmic Comics. I forgot about them. Used to go there once in a while years ago and yes St marks Comics. , cool place. Was only there once , I remember telling my boss I was not feeling well at noon and jumping in a cab and going to St Marks before I went home. great place.

Is Cosmic Comics the shop tucked away on the first floor of a building? If so, I bought some sweet Tec's and ASM's there about ten years ago. You need to ask to see stuff though, as all the good stuff was kept behind the counter, as the shop is quite small.

I have been to roger's time machine, great store and roger is a cool guy. His staff on the other hand is eh, got into it about an asm 10 with a stain trying to be sold to me at Fine and it was VG+ at best. When dealing with roger he is a tight grader and usually spot on though. He will sell you the book @ guide of the agreed grade.

St marks comics, cool store, nice selection of new and even a nice selection of vintage but his vintage are priced 3x-4x what theyre worth. Worth a visit for sure though.

Midtown comics isn't bad but everything to me is over priced and the vintage selection is limited.

Think I've been to a couple more, I don't remember the names. They were eh.

I almost forgot chameleon comics on maiden ln and broadway. Great store, small but packed with good vintage and new books. The prices are very fair. Def worth a visit.

Definetly Cosmic Comics. I forgot about them. Used to go there once in a while years ago and yes St marks Comics. , cool place. Was only there once , I remember telling my boss I was not feeling well at noon and jumping in a cab and going to St Marks before I went home. great place.
New owners, no vintage comics whatsoever. I don't even stop in since I don't entertain the new comics but if you enjoy new stuff, not a bad place.