• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mind Mgmt

1,577 posts in this topic

Just read Revolver. I enjoyed it, but...would like to discuss the ending with someone else that has read it.

The tone reminded me a bit of Fight Club, and the concept was very similar to a TV show that was out a few years ago (a cop that wakes up one day in a world where his wife is dead and son is alive, and the next in a world where his son is dead and wife is alive). I think Revolver might pre-date that show, so...makes me wonder if the show was a ripoff of Revolver in any way, or if it was sheer coincidence.

Revolver is on my stack of books to read. I read Super-Spy a few weeks ago & would recommend that as well. Kindt is certainly one of the more cerebral writers out there. I'm starting to wonder if all his creator owned projects are part of a larger story that will ultimately tie together.

The three Kindt stories I read so far:

Super Spy - WWII era spy stories

Three Story - early Cold War era spy

Mind MGMT - late Cold War to modern era spies

Is there an over arching agency controlling these spies through History? Will the actions of a spy in one story influence the circumstances in another story? So many possibilities...

Edited by Hekla

Red Handed is a must read.

Court, i believe Revolver was published in 2010 so id say it pre-dates the TV show (which i remember hearing about, but have never seen)

as for the end of Revolver

it's apparent that they didnt "get the job done" in San Francisco, as Verve was alive and well for years into the Mind MGMT story line. Also, i believe that The Eraser is the woman they are talking about in the vertical story (for lack of a better term) in MM

Court, i believe Revolver was published in 2010 so id say it pre-dates the TV show (which i remember hearing about, but have never seen)

it's apparent that they didnt "get the job done" in San Francisco, as Verve was alive and well for years into the Mind MGMT story line. Also, i believe that The Eraser is the woman they are talking about in the vertical story (for lack of a better term) in MM

Thanks, Eric.

The end of Revolver actually left me wondering whether or not the bar fight was the cause of his "dementia" from the get go, and if it might all be in his head (i.e., the alternate universe was a figment of his imagination that he was finally able to repair, more or less, with the realization of the bar fight as the cause.

And...it seemed to me that, in many ways, he was actually happier in the alternate reality...so if it was actually possible to stay there, I thought he would have done so...as he felt more alive and useful over there, as opposed to hating the superficiality of the "real world". And...in the end, the reason he "chose" the "real world" over the alternate reality was simply because the alternate reality was just a figment of his imagination to begin with.

So...am I over thinking things, or what...?

No, i think you are fairly spot on. ive not read it in some time, and you bring up VERY legitimate points.

Thats the beauty of Matts work imo. something new is "learned" each time you read it. Cant say that for many other books, certainly not the ones that i read.

Red Handed was great.

Perfect for a person that gets bored with one story. But have them all inter-link.

Pat

Hey Mind MGMT Agents! Help my wife and I settle a fun debate: Who should play Meru in the movie? Cocktails are flowing and we are having a great conversation here, but I need your input!

Names thrown out so far (picture all with red hair :) )

Tilda Swinton

Schuyler Fisk

Uma Thermon

Scar Jo

...your thoughts?

(Sorry to hijack, didn't think this was worth it's own thread)