• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Decision has been made!.....

14 posts in this topic

Well.....after looking through alot of my collection today i finally made the ultimate decision i have been putting off for years.

I am about to sell off almost every book I own and get to a main focus.

I have always been a huge fan of early horror comics, as well as old GA and PA books such as Tracy, Dell, pretty much any EC book, Buck Rogers, etc....

I grew up on X-Men, Avengers and Iron Man, and for sure I will be keeping some of the unique issues and keys that i may get a hankering for, but all the drek and most of the superhero stuff i have collected over the years is going away.

A buddy of mine bought a huge chunk of it today, but i will begin divesting myself of the rest immediately.

Anyone else been through this kind of cleansing?

Well.....after looking through alot of my collection today i finally made the ultimate decision i have been putting off for years.

I am about to sell off almost every book I own and get to a main focus.

I have always been a huge fan of early horror comics, as well as old GA and PA books such as Tracy, Dell, pretty much any EC book, Buck Rogers, etc....

I grew up on X-Men, Avengers and Iron Man, and for sure I will be keeping some of the unique issues and keys that i may get a hankering for, but all the drek and most of the superhero stuff i have collected over the years is going away.

A buddy of mine bought a huge chunk of it today, but i will begin divesting myself of the rest immediately.

Anyone else been through this kind of cleansing?

Yes actually...

In the middle of it right now actually these last few weeks as I ship out about 50 packages every Monday. Time to rid myself of a lot of "things" and tighten up some of the collections.

It's difficult for me to sell anything. I let go of most anything else, so I can't say I'm a hoarder, but for my books, I always feel a sense of dread.

I have donated a bunch of stuff in various threads, but somehow it's the only way to satisfy my OCD and still let comics go.

Congrats and maybe I can follow suit. :lol:

I've got a three-drawer file cabinet that I will not exceed for my collection. I'm on my third collection (two complete purges) so I've learned a lot in how to stay focused. Good luck with your new chase!

I've got a three-drawer file cabinet that I will not exceed for my collection. I'm on my third collection (two complete purges) so I've learned a lot in how to stay focused. Good luck with your new chase!

So two prior purges, huh? How many years did you hold each collection and how many books in each? Just curious what motivates the in/out collection phases.

I went through 2 such purgings in my collecting career. The first time was in 2004 when I sold all of my 80s-90s crapola that I collected as a kid. I just needed to clear the space in my apartment. The second time was last year when I sold all of my Silver and Bronze Age keys (plus a smattering of Copper and some modern nonsense) to pay for an engagement ring and focus on, :o , Signature Series and sketches.

I am on the verge of doing something like this as well. I have been away from collecting for many years. I haven't really been into comic collecting since internet selling has taken over. It's been overwhelming trying to catch up and learn the ropes, to say the least. I started doing research online and landed here. This place has been a huge help and a wealth of info. So, I haven't posted much, but I have been reading quite a bit! Thanks to all those who came before me on this forum and imparted their wisdom and experience.

Ok, so I am interested in purging 4 long boxes of 60s through 80s stuff I have collected. (I am now focused on collecting CGC-graded GA books and SA keys.)

I don't have time to individually list on eBay. I'm not doing Craig's List nor am I doing a garage sale or buying a table at a Con.

What is the most efficient thing to do? Call one of these dealers that advertises in Overstreet and let them pay me 10% to 30% of guide value?

Looking forward to advice from those who have been down this path.

Ok, so I am interested in purging 4 long boxes of 60s through 80s stuff I have collected. (I am now focused on collecting CGC-graded GA books and SA keys.)

I don't have time to individually list on eBay. I'm not doing Craig's List nor am I doing a garage sale or buying a table at a Con.

What is the most efficient thing to do? Call one of these dealers that advertises in Overstreet and let them pay me 10% to 30% of guide value?

Looking forward to advice from those who have been down this path.

You might consider selling them in groups here or ebay. Take pics of the group rather than scanning each one. Or contact a dealer and see if you can swing a trade. They might give a higher percentage of guide for a trade. You might also check mycomicshops want list to see what they are buying and what they're paying.