• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

I'm guessing that Gemma knows who less than 1% of the people on this forum are. I also would guess that she doesn't have the time or desire to check who is who and who has paid and who hasn't before working on the registry. I'd guess that a lot of the people who don't get what they ask for either ask in the wrong thread, ask for something that really isn't a set, or (based on what I've read) don't present their request in a manner coherent enough for anyone to understand.

That last condition is entirely too prevalent.

YUP

When your new here and trying hard to fit in its not easy

Posting in the wrong place I did ALOT !

Come to think of it still do

I most enjoy the modern colectors posts as they seem to have the most life in them !

You have to know they are all just silver and bronze age colectors in waiting ! They just have not figured it out !

When I was a kid reading my stack of doc savage and tazan novels I was no different than the kids now with thier harry potters

Theses beautiful old comic books are a treasure and those that colect them are keepers of history

:)

CGC is the best thing to happen to pre 1980 comic book colectors !!!

All we wanted was to add the two price variants, and the second printing date for #9. The way it's listed in the census. It took a while, but it was done. Then an unnamed individual decided to throw their weight around and had it removed. Which is fine if there would have been a separate set that included the variants, which there was. Then that was changed. Now what you have is a set called Red Sonja 1977 that includes Marvel Feature Vol. 2 that started in 1975. Which already exists with variants. So your point, Cheetah, while valid, has already had it's course run. Also, Gyro and myself have conversations on this topic via PM, which you haven't seen. My post was in response to something we discussed there. It was really only meant for one person to see as rhetoric. While you and Mr. Heat Miser are welcome to post away in here, your response to my post was unnecessary. As I said, it was a rhetorical statement directed at one person. I've given up the logical approach to this issue as a futile endeavor. However the registry for Red Sonja stands is how it will stay for my part. I have nothing to do with it. So if someone else wants Vol. 2 or 3 added, good luck.

All we wanted was to add the two price variants, and the second printing date for #9. The way it's listed in the census. It took a while, but it was done. Then an unnamed individual decided to throw their weight around and had it removed. Which is fine if there would have been a separate set that included the variants, which there was. Then that was changed. Now what you have is a set called Red Sonja 1977 that includes Marvel Feature Vol. 2 that started in 1975. Which already exists with variants. So your point, Cheetah, while valid, has already had it's course run. Also, Gyro and myself have conversations on this topic via PM, which you haven't seen. My post was in response to something we discussed there. It was really only meant for one person to see as rhetoric. While you and Mr. Heat Miser are welcome to post away in here, your response to my post was unnecessary. As I said, it was a rhetorical statement directed at one person. I've given up the logical approach to this issue as a futile endeavor. However the registry for Red Sonja stands is how it will stay for my part. I have nothing to do with it. So if someone else wants Vol. 2 or 3 added, good luck.

lol

I just saw this thread, I was inspired to get me some Red Sonjas, so I'll be trading some of my moderns for some BA Sonjas. Let's just see what happens.

I already have a pending trade from a fellow collector. hope it goes well. :cloud9:

And I don't want to go back there in the MA thread, it's all about speculating and less collecting. rantrant

Ok A WHAT THE HELLLL post !

Mercy what happened to white pages and who shook this book ??

The marvel feature books are generaly beter than this but look close at top right corner that cant be white pages !!!

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121242&lotNo=14362#Photo

So lets play ------ Guess the price !!!!

My guess sells for 38$

ygerg you ever buy from world wide?

I live in canada and they charge a bit more for shipping but its realy packed well and will send 3 books for 1 to canada as it all fits in the 1 box

they have this one

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=MARVEL_FEATURE_(VOL_2)_1_22339

and I have found if you offer a reasonable amount they will take it

on books they have had for a long time

Ok A WHAT THE HELLLL post !

Mercy what happened to white pages and who shook this book ??

The marvel feature books are generaly beter than this but look close at top right corner that cant be white pages !!!

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121242&lotNo=14362#Photo

So lets play ------ Guess the price !!!!

My guess sells for 38$

Mis-cut cover. Pretty cool. $38.00 sounds about right. Might go to $50.00 though.

I see what you're saying about shaking it. Looks like the CGC carbon paper moved, and it's not mis-cut. There's a pretty decent color break around the Marvel box too. The 9.6 on World Wide is much nicer.

Edited by wizardseye311

ygerg you ever buy from world wide?

I live in canada and they charge a bit more for shipping but its realy packed well and will send 3 books for 1 to canada as it all fits in the 1 box

they have this one

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=MARVEL_FEATURE_(VOL_2)_1_22339

and I have found if you offer a reasonable amount they will take it

on books they have had for a long time

Actually I have a relative in Alberta, Canada right now, in Edmonton. I'll try to look into it, thanks for the hook up. :grin:

Dose anyone know what happened to Roy Thomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomas

Thats cheeting !!!

and if you read it all there is no mention of red sonja just conan

I googled his name this morning and cant get a good explination of the story of dreaming up red sonja other than the standard cut and paist explination

this was in 74/75 remember so I am betting communist were involved !

:gossip:

Edited by gyro-1

Quote: The following year, when Lee became Marvel's publisher, Thomas succeeded him as editor-in-chief. Thomas by this time had already launched Conan the Barbarian, based on Robert E. Howard's 1930s pulp-fiction sword-and-sorcery character. Thomas, who stepped down from his editorship in August 1974, wrote hundreds of Conan stories in a host of Marvel comics and black-and-white magazines. During that time, he and Smith also brought to comics Howard's little-known, sword-wielding woman-warrior Red Sonja, initially as a Conan supporting character.

From the Red Sonja Wiki page:

Red Sonja, the She-Devil with a Sword, is a fictional character, a high fantasy sword and sorcery heroine created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith, and loosely based on Red Sonya of Rogatino in Robert E. Howard's 1934 short story "The Shadow of the Vulture". She first appeared in the Marvel Comics book Conan the Barbarian #23 (February 1973).

There's not much more to tell other than this:

The character was loosely based on Red Sonya of Rogatino in Robert E. Howard's short story "The Shadow of the Vulture" (The Magic Carpet, January 1934), in which the character, Red Sonya, was a sword-and-pistol-wielding supporting character of the late Renaissance, which Roy Thomas rewrote as a Conan story for Marvel Comics Conan the Barbarian #23 (1973). Thomas also somewhat based Red Sonja on another Howard character, Dark Agnes de Chastillon, a sword woman in 16th-century France

hm

But how were the communist involved ?

Why the change of costume ?

So many life changing questions !

Snipped from comic vine

==========

In the 1970's, after Conan the Barbarian became a hit series for Marvel Comics, other Howard characters were considered for introduction into the series, including Red Sonya. In order to transform her character so that she could be a contemporary of Conan, writer Roy Thomas altered the spelling of her name to the more exotic "Sonja" and made her a barbarian swordswoman from the land of Hyrkania.

===========

ROY changed the name !!!!!

I think we should call Roy up on this communist plot !!

Now how to contact Roy ???

Colecting Comics is history in action!!!