• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

Quote again:

The character was loosely based on Red Sonya of Rogatino in Robert E. Howard's short story "The Shadow of the Vulture" (The Magic Carpet, January 1934), in which the character, Red Sonya, was a sword-and-pistol-wielding supporting character of the late Renaissance, which Roy Thomas rewrote as a Conan story for Marvel Comics Conan the Barbarian #23 (1973)

I do not believe for one minute you are just now finding this out. All of this was hashed out in the letters pages in both Marvel Feature Vol. 2 and Red Sonja. As was the influence of the Irish Myth of Scathach and Aoife. A major influence on the story line as it is Scathach who gives Red Sonja her power. The Red Sonja of comics is purely the result of Roy Thomas borrowing from several sources. The Red Sonya of R.E. Howard's books was basically a pirate in the 16th century, and has very little to do with the comics version other than a similar name, and red hair. She didn't exist in Conan's Hyboria. So all of this had to be invented. Roy Thomas and B.W. Smith are to blame for Red Sonja (with a J), and Esteban Maroto designed the metal bikini for the character Red Sonja, in Savage Tales #3, Comixscene #5, and in the first issue of The Savage Sword of Conan and penciled her first solo story, which was inked by Neal Adams and Ernie Chan. From those humble beginnings we have the Red Sonja we know and love today.

In a raw book I suspect you have to open it and look?

In a cgc book they will list it

I did a lot of searchs about it and found nothing?

So I think the task now will be to find a raw book with the later date ?

Then some how track it down to were in USA theses were sold

:)

RED SONJA 9B

WHY SO MAY????????????????????

By the numbers

====================

Red Sonja #6 Universal total submited with a chance at 9.8 = 21

14=9.8

5=9.6

2=9.4

Red Sonja #7 Universal total submited with a chance at 9.8 = 16

10=9.8

4=9.6

2=9.4

Red Sonja #8 Universal total submited with a chance at 9.8 = 12

4=9.8

8=9.6

0=9.4

Red Sonja #9 (a 5/78) Universal

5=9.8

7=9.6

0=9.4 total submited with a chance at 9.8 = 19

1=9.2

Red Sonja #9(a 11/78) Universal

5=9.8

1=9.6

0=9.4

Red Sonja #10 Universal total submited with a chance at 9.8 = 15

7=9.8

7=9.6

1=9.4

Red Sonja #11 Universal total submited with a chance at 9.8 = 17

9=9.8

5=9.6

3=9.4

=================

My conclusion (my hummble opinion)

What ever the print run was for red sonja 6-11 there was a consistant # of pedagree books and a consistent # of HIGH grade colectors stashing them away

There cant be many more high grade copys hiding out there ?

In the last year in most of theses we have seen 1 or 2 books added

And the price variation between 9.6 and 9.8 is only 100$ so that scares speculators from slabbing

A nm 8 and 7 sit at world wide for months no one buying them

My conclusion is that we need another pedagree or a speculator to get a new batch of high grade red sonja !

Isnt comic colecting fun !!!

Edited by gyro-1

#1 only had one print run for the U.S., and #9 is the only one to have two print runs. Then you have the two 35 cent price variants for #'s 4 and 5. Which are hard to find, and you'll know them because of the price. I just found a cool website that lists all the reprints though, and come to find that issues 2-7 of Marvel Feature Vol. 2 were all reprinted in Conan Saga #'s 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, and 86. You're just going to love the cover for #86.

130985.jpg.2eb02b50e69db3f724aea70171905fe6.jpg

Oh, and Gyro, your earlier question about the two covers for Red Sonja: The Movie. Like I said, there were two issues, #1 and #2, but they were just reprints from Marvel Super Special #38. According to this website anyway. So it's just the Marvel Feature Vol. 2 issues, and the Marvel Super Special #38 that are the only Red Sonja to have been reprinted. Of course the Conan Red Sonja appearances have been reprinted many times. I'll do some digging, and find them too.

Okay, the story, "Red Sonja", from Marvel Feature Vol. 2 #1 was reprinted from Savage Sword of Conan #1 in color, and has been reprinted so many times I couldn't begin to list them all here. Looks like over 100 times in everything from Conan (every title) Savage Tales, Kull, Savage Sword, Solomon Kane, and anywhere else you can think of. They got their mileage out of that one.

And now for the communists. In the "Of Swords and She-Devils" section of Marvel Feature Vol. 2 #1 there's this passage: "In 1972 or thereabouts, a splendid little out of print volume titled "The Conan Swordbook" published by Mirage Press, featuring articles on Conan, and related subjects which had originally appeared in Amra, an award winning fanzine from George Schithers (of which and whom more in future issues of Savage Sword). The Swordbook spotlighted an article called, "Conan On Crusade", written by a fan named Allan Howard (presumably no relation to REH), and dealing with the Conan-like heroes of several swashbuckling, sorcery-less tales by the master. One of these was "Shadow of the Vulture". Allan Howard opined as how Red Sonya of Rogatine, "Would have made a fit companion for Conan". He went even further to suggest that, "In fact, she may have been a bit too much for him".

So there you have it, no commies, and the true inspiration for Roy Thomas' Red Sonja. One Mr. Allan Howard.

Oh, and Gyro, your earlier question about the two covers for Red Sonja: The Movie. Like I said, there were two issues, #1 and #2, but they were just reprints from Marvel Super Special #38. According to this website anyway. So it's just the Marvel Feature Vol. 2 issues, and the Marvel Super Special #38 that are the only Red Sonja to have been reprinted. Of course the Conan Red Sonja appearances have been reprinted many times. I'll do some digging, and find them too.

I didnt know my super special 38 was not a original story but a copy of anotther original story

Thanks

:grin:

notice the costume !!!!

130991.jpg.f40432156d6feb87810f62f623cdc9b4.jpg

Edited by gyro-1

#1 only had one print run for the U.S., and #9 is the only one to have two print runs. Then you have the two 35 cent price variants for #'s 4 and 5. Which are hard to find, and you'll know them because of the price. I just found a cool website that lists all the reprints though, and come to find that issues 2-7 of Marvel Feature Vol. 2 were all reprinted in Conan Saga #'s 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, and 86. You're just going to love the cover for #86.

NICE COVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regarding the #1

I looked my pence version and as stated back a few pages its identical but for the Marvel-all- colour comics at the top

WAIT !!!!

How do you spell color in UK ????????

just checked the brits spell it like I did as a kid *our*

And I am begining to understand that the colecting comunity is not calling that a reprint OR second print

number 1 january 1977

printed in usa

Edited by gyro-1

If you look closely at those two copies there's no way they are NM+. I doubt they would even get a 9.4 from CGC. Corners are too banged up with color breaks, and the price they're asking is kinda high.

If you look closely at those two copies there's no way they are NM+. I doubt they would even get a 9.4 from CGC. Corners are too banged up with color breaks, and the price they're asking is kinda high.

Sure young people always picking on us haft blind old people !!!!

You wait till you keep walking into the door every night on the 8th trip to the toilet !!!

When I was younger walking 5 miles to school over 6 big hills I could see 12 miles in the moonlight on a cold winter night at - 40 !

:foryou:

Sure young people always picking on us haft blind old people !!!!

You wait till you keep walking into the door every night on the 8th trip to the toilet !!!

When I was younger walking 5 miles to school over 6 big hills I could see 12 miles in the moonlight on a cold winter night at - 40 !

:foryou:

I was just pointing out possible reasons why they may not have sold. There's no shortage of copies in that shape. It's the pristine ones were after, and those two just don't cut it. Look at what the 9.6's sold for on Comic Link. Only about $7.00 more, and already slabbed.

Those 2 9.6 books were well bought

I guess my not so good argument is that the ability to find raw 9.8books is right on the limit of imposable with out gambling

:(

Ok so if I am corect then in next year we should see 4 or 5 more 9.6 /9.4 apear with just the ocational 9.8

:)

Red Sonja is a HIGH class rare Lady !!

Edited by gyro-1

Yeah, those are nice! You gonna grab one or both?

On the 9.8 thing. It really is a tough grade for Bronze Age books, no matter what the title is. It's just that Red Sonja was not a big seller compared to X-Men, FF, or ASM, etc. The print run was no where near what it was for those books. That's why you'll have X number of 9.8's for those books in much higher numbers, but very few for Red Sonja of the same period. Just for the sake of argument say you have 1 million copies of ASM #170 and 1% of those were a 9.8. That would mean you would have 10,000 9.8's, hypothetically, but you only have 100,000 printed copies of Red Sonja #4, and 1% of those were a 9.8 leaving you with only 1,000 making the grade. A difference of 10%, but keep in mind that there were 10% fewer copies available. So statistically they're about the same. It's the actual availability which makes it tough. Add to that how many copies that were an actual 9.8, and have been submitted. Then you see the numbers drop hard. Incidentally, there are 71 9.8's for ASM #170. Not bad for a non-key issue, but there are 28 9.8 Red Sonja #4's. That's a little less than half, and they came out the same month and year. The really odd part is that a 9.8 ASM #170 goes for more than twice what a 9.8 Red Sonja #4 goes for, and there's more than twice as many available. ASM #170 is not rare, it's not a key issue, but it's Spider-Man, and it's always going to command more $'s. Alas, no one was buying poor Red Sonja then, and if you look at how many CGC #4 Red Sonjas are for sale now, it would seem no one wants to buy her now either even though it's a rarer book in grade.

The 23 is tempting the 24 is over priced

CFP comics has not sent me a bill yet and I an saving for a invaders 4 so this will have to wait !

Edited by gyro-1