• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

The presses in 75 were like the newspaper ones were they not?

No computers all mechanical?

I have seen programs on tv about the newspaper machines and they fold fold fold then cut !

I remember the fellow saying once the newspaper press was running full speed it could not be stopped !

====

Off topic

ygerg you keep your eyes open for Mark Jewelers they are tradable !

Edited by gyro-1

Though as you said if I get it graded, CGC doesn't recognize that mis-cut right?

You can hold it for me for a while. :grin:

@gyro 1 sorry who's Mark? :eek: is that a website?

Anyways, what should issues should I get in the Savage sword of Conan, if I'm after Red Sonja art?

I have a friend who knows the wife of the late Tony De Zuniga if ever you want a OA or pin ups, signed comics as well, I can ask him. :)

Edited by ygerg

Back issues of Red Sonja and Uncanny X-Men are the two series that got me started reading and collecting comics in 1983. While I still have a good number of slabbed books (e.g., Conan 23 9.6, Conan 24 9.8, MF 1 9.8, all old-label, strictly-graded, hopefully unpressed beauties), I have since become one of the bigger collectors of Red Sonja original art. If you're a Sonja fan, check out these examples from my collection online:

Barry Windsor-Smith - Conan the Barbarian #23 Page - Red Sonja's First Ever Panels in Comics

Frank Thorne - Marvel Feature v. 2 #6 Cover Art

Boris Vallejo - Red Sonja "When Hell Laughs" Paperback Cover Art

Esteban Maroto & Neal Adams - Savage Sword of Conan #1 Page

John Buscema - Conan the Barbarian #67 Page

Sal Buscema - Red Sonja v. 1 #14 Page

Mary Wilshire - Red Sonja v. 3 #3 Cover Art

Frank Brunner - Conan and Red Sonja Conan #24 Scene Commission

Gabriele Dell'Otto - Red Sonja vs. Thulsa Doom #1 Cover Art

131281.jpg.815129a7684340bd2799c38aadd5ecec.jpg

131282.jpg.98667b90bd8c3e8216288e75e6cad7d1.jpg

131283.jpg.7da82e09e9d83f5d2a11a6ed4969c01e.jpg

131285.jpg.6cffa26b388d2c52a72df9481f0a28df.jpg

Middle picture a french book with looks like red sonja from the 80's

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BBLACKWOLF/Conan-Artima-Marvel-01.jpg

and the red sonja book I am interested in

there is one on ebay but it dosnt give grade !!!

Dam those fench men !!!

Conan le barbare N° 8 -9 -10

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BBLACKWOLF/Conan-Ardit-Artima-0.jpg

Edited by gyro-1

The presses in 75 were like the newspaper ones were they not?

No computers all mechanical?

I have seen programs on tv about the newspaper machines and they fold fold fold then cut !

I remember the fellow saying once the newspaper press was running full speed it could not be stopped !

====

Off topic

ygerg you keep your eyes open for Mark Jewelers they are tradable !

Yeah, most copper age and older comics were done on a web-fed offset press. Learn more here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_printing#Web-fed_offset

Though as you said if I get it graded, CGC doesn't recognize that mis-cut right?

Anyways, what should issues should I get in the Savage sword of Conan, if I'm after Red Sonja art?

I have a friend who knows the wife of the late Tony De Zuniga if ever you want a OA or pin ups, signed comics as well, I can ask him. :)

CGC might not recognize the mis-cut. but there are so many other issues with that #1 it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping and grading just to get a 5.5. Look for a perfect one that will get a 9.6 or 9.8 to justify the cost. Or buy one already graded to lessen the risk.

Mark Jeweler copies have an ad insert for jewelry that was added to comics sold around military bases. The insert was made of heavier stock paper, and "supposedly" the comics hold up better due to the stiffness of the card stock.

She's on the cover of Savage Sword #1 and #23 and appears in several issues up to #233. I think the first De Zuniga artwork for Savage Sword was #45. You can Wiki Red Sonja for a list of all her appearances except for issue #33 of Conan. Which Gyro insists counts because there's a picture of her and part of a sentence referring to her in it (lol).

Middle picture a french book with looks like red sonja from the 80's

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BBLACKWOLF/Conan-Artima-Marvel-01.jpg

and the red sonja book I am interested in

there is one on ebay but it dosnt give grade !!!

Dam those fench men !!!

Conan le barbare N° 8 -9 -10

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BBLACKWOLF/Conan-Ardit-Artima-0.jpg

The first is the same cover as Marvel Super Special #9 John Buscema cover art. The second one I've never seen before, but maybe they're French reprints of earlier stories like the English, "Avengers Feat. Conan" weeklies we saw earlier in the thread.

Ok ok super special #9

That fits in the year

you have sharp eyes !

Other this one

so # 5 we have regular version

price change version

pence version

french version

mark jeweler version

any more????

131288.jpg.7e56e472d7c1b031e271b57bf405d501.jpg

Edited by gyro-1

CGC might not recognize the mis-cut. but there are so many other issues with that #1 it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping and grading just to get a 5.5. Look for a perfect one that will get a 9.6 or 9.8 to justify the cost. Or buy one already graded to lessen the risk.

Mark Jeweler copies have an ad insert for jewelry that was added to comics sold around military bases. The insert was made of heavier stock paper, and "supposedly" the comics hold up better due to the stiffness of the card stock.

She's on the cover of Savage Sword #1 and #23 and appears in several issues up to #233. I think the first De Zuniga artwork for Savage Sword was #45. You can Wiki Red Sonja for a list of all her appearances except for issue #33 of Conan. Which Gyro insists counts because there's a picture of her and part of a sentence referring to her in it (lol).

Thank you for this one, though I'm not planning to get it grade, since as you said it's really beaten up.

Yeah, saw some sample photos of those Mark Jeweler sets, it's pretty interesting that CGC would recognize them as a variant. I too want to hunt them out. :)

I'm pretty much a cover slut, when it comes to collecting. Haha. So I'm liking the #23. and as for Zuniga you're right, it was at issue #45. :)

Back issues of Red Sonja and Uncanny X-Men are the two series that got me started reading and collecting comics in 1983. While I still have a good number of slabbed books (e.g., Conan 23 9.6, Conan 24 9.8, MF 1 9.8, all old-label, strictly-graded, hopefully unpressed beauties), I have since become one of the bigger collectors of Red Sonja original art. If you're a Sonja fan, check out these examples from my collection online:

Barry Windsor-Smith - Conan the Barbarian #23 Page - Red Sonja's First Ever Panels in Comics

Frank Thorne - Marvel Feature v. 2 #6 Cover Art

Boris Vallejo - Red Sonja "When Hell Laughs" Paperback Cover Art

Esteban Maroto & Neal Adams - Savage Sword of Conan #1 Page

John Buscema - Conan the Barbarian #67 Page

Sal Buscema - Red Sonja v. 1 #14 Page

These are so awesome. I'd be a happy duck if I had one of the OAs even if it's a quick sketch by Thorne or Buscema. :cloud9:

Edited by ygerg

Ok ok super special #9

That fits in the year

you have sharp eyes !

Other this one

price change version

pence version

french version

mark jeweler version

any more????

Not unless you count this Art Adams cover swipe.

Photobucket

Ok ok super special #9

That fits in the year

you have sharp eyes !

Other this one

price change version

pence version

french version

mark jeweler version

any more????

Not unless you count this Art Adams cover swipe.

Photobucket

:o

131329.jpg.4bd83a2dd300825db946a1d69bf046f9.jpg

Edited by gyro-1

its a varient of ebay 10$

I think its way better !!!

Now must repeat to myself 76 times ==> I will not buy dynamite comics / I will not buy dynamite comics /I will not buy dynamite comics /I will not buy dynamite comics -----

Yeah, I found the listing. Sent a message asking if it is a stock image or the actual comic. The #1 Art Adams cover was the 1:25 (or 1:65 depending which website you're looking at) retailer incentive, but the #2 Adams cover was just one of the 4 regular covers. There were actually 10 if you can believe it. I have the Adams and the Brunner ones for #2 just because I like them, but the one to have is the Adam Hughes RRP cover for #2. Very hard to find, and not cheap either when you do. The other cool one is the Esteban Maroto cover for #2. Also hard to find. A great cover by the legend himself. Basically the only Dynamite Red Sonja covers worth collecting value wise are the RRP covers. The ones that actually say RRP too, not the ones people call RRP's. They have to have the RRP printed on the cover. I have the #'s 4, 5, 8, and 12. #12 being the last cover to have RRP printed on the cover. The others are incentive covers for dealers who bought a certain number of books. Try to find a #0 RRP. It was the 1:1000 cover. If you can find one they go for about $300.00, and are snatched up right away. I know where one is, but I'm not paying that much for it. lol.