• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #1

100 posts in this topic

Really?

I would think the market for early Detectives, especially the first one, would be rather large.

yep, pre hero books are cool and old, especially if unrestored like this one, but the window of collectors is relatively small compared to mainstream GA or SA superhero collectors.

Circa 1980, I visited the famous Collectors Bookstore in Hollywood. As has oft been repeated, the place was simply amazing - GA books stacked high in boxes on shelves with a representative cover on the front of each box.

[...]

Still, I do remember that pre-hero box (I don't recall seeing a Detective 1) - ah, to be young and dumb (and broke) again. Great books, IMHO.

That's a great story.

---

Any thoughts as to why Batman ended up in Detective instead of one of the other 3 major "DC" titles? Why not put him in Action?

Circa 1980, I visited the famous Collectors Bookstore in Hollywood. As has oft been repeated, the place was simply amazing - GA books stacked high in boxes on shelves with a representative cover on the front of each box.

[...]

Still, I do remember that pre-hero box (I don't recall seeing a Detective 1) - ah, to be young and dumb (and broke) again. Great books, IMHO.

That's a great story.

---

Any thoughts as to why Batman ended up in Detective instead of one of the other 3 major "DC" titles? Why not put him in Action?

Probably because Superman was already starring in Action Comics for a good 12-13 issues already.

I remember that book.. That was the barnyard auction over at IN where a few pre-bat tecs were sold. Must've been fun to watch. Apparently, the same guy who has a Tec #1 paid a premium on other books as well?

any idea what was paid for that comic at the auction?

nevermind, i read the old thread and see he paid 18K for it. then was trying to sell it for 25K, now 19,999K

if i had a lot money and didnt know better, im sure i wouldve assumed it was worth more when i saw it in auction.

id love to own it for 10K - doubt the offer will even be considered.

nevermind, i read the old thread and see he paid 18K for it. then was trying to sell it for 25K, now 19,999K

if i had a lot money and didnt know better, im sure i wouldve assumed it was worth more when i saw it in auction.

id love to own it for 10K - doubt the offer will even be considered.

10K would be a real bargain. I think it's a 14K book.

i wouldve though so too, but just looking at 2012-13 overstreet - but a 3.0 did sell in 2010 for over 16K, a 4.5 for 28K. and another 3.0 sold for 24K, but that was in 2007 before the bubble burst. i guess its hard to price a book that doesnt come up for sale too often.

id be interested to know who finally buys that book and for how much. but i think id do 10k in a heartbeat. so its probably good for me he wont take it.

Who is the character on the front cover? Wondered that for almost 20 years.

Chinese tong that is the bad guy in the Bruce Nelson story "The Claws of the Red Dragon".

Thanks, you learn something new everyday.

Did he ever appear again?

[...]

That's a great story.

---

The success of Superman caused DC to ask the artists/writer to develop new superhero characters so they were looking to place them in many of the magazines.

Batman is a detective and his story fit perfectly with the other stories in the series.