• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Return Shipping...Who should pay?

41 posts in this topic

Seller is responsible.Now I'm going to give you the best advice you can get.Only purchase comics from board members or board members Ebay stores,this way you won't get F-ed.You've made some noob mistakes,but now you're here.Take advantage of the best comics message board on the internet.Just my 2c

Oh and Welcome to the Boards. (thumbs u

Not to question this advice, but I have had some questionable purchases as a noob. I didn't want to be branded as a crybaby, so I sucked it up and kept the items. I have never purchased from these people again, nor have I sold to them. :)

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Thanks for the feedback, well, except for some. I'm not new to collectibles or ordering online by any means. Been on eBay since 97. In most cases, I believe the seller should pay for return shipping. When I sell items, I offer this straight up if it is my fault. The only exceptions would be if the buyer changes their mind for whatever reason (which was mentioned) or if there was a very minor discrepancy in grading....even then, if I were the seller, I'd probably refund it if asked.

The breakdown on these were:

1. eBay user...this has been a month now. If he doesn't reply to me today, I'll leave him negative...big deal on that.

2. Seller on CCL (Comic Collector Live). I'll do business with him again b/c he does business the right way.

3. This is Metropolis comics. And, yes, I read their return policy, but, didn't figure it would apply to damage during shipping. But, whatever, if they don't refund my shipping (almost $10 for a graphic novel), then I won't do business with them again.

What I have learned with buying comics from the feedback, and from this past week:

1. Ask for multiple scans

2. Just b/c it is a large company, don't assume their grading or shipping is any better

3. Ask for their return policy on misgrades & on damage during shipping

4. Order from members of this site

Knowing how Metropolis ships, the Fed Ex truck must have played warehouse olympics with your parcel for it to become damaged. The only people I know who packs more secure is Sparklecity who after a few orders with them usually lands you a lawn bag full of bubble wrap.

What specifically happened to the Metropolis books?

Knowing how Metropolis ships, the Fed Ex truck must have played warehouse olympics with your parcel for it to become damaged. The only people I know who packs more secure is Sparklecity who after a few orders with them usually lands you a lawn bag full of bubble wrap.

What specifically happened to the Metropolis books?

One point on this 'damaged in transit' issue.

If it isn't packed correctly and there was internal damage then I'd say shipper should probably take the hit.

If someone @ FedEx poked a hole through the box with a forklift damaging the book, the recipient who signs for it should be refusing the package or at least identify the damage when signing for it. By taking these steps you assist the seller with filing their claim against the carrier.

If you accept delivery without making note of visible damage then some of it is on you.

2c

Just a note on the Fedex package for what it is worth....it was left at the front door...no signing.
I saw the scans in the other thread and re-read that they already refunded on original purchase earlier in this thread so here is my suggestion:

You said earlier that you're going to stop using Metro over a $10 shipping charge so I'd suggest you consider an alternatives that make it easier for them to make you happy. :) They've accepted responsibility already but from a business point of view it's probably easier for them to reimburse you with a "$10 off your next purchase over $50" (example) than it is for them to just look at this one sale where they are looking at costs of one damaged book & two shipping fees.

Accepting a coupon on next purchase also gives you an excuse to buy more books - win/win.

(shrug)

bababooey,

Actually, I emailed them last night about the refund. Waiting to hear back from them today. What you said regarding a 'coupon' or a '$10 off next purchase' is exactly what I told my wife I would ask them if they don't give a refund for the shipping. That would be satisfactory to me. As for the loss of the book, I'm not 100% sure, but, I think they will be able to send that to Fedex and get a refund...not entirely sure. Anyway, I really shouldn't have said their name til everything was finalized. Shame on me for that.

The grading dispute is tricky, but fine and vf/nm are pretty far apart. If I miss something in grading then it's on me, but when someone buy a ga comic that is pictured and described as poor with 115 extra staples and tape holding the spine together and they complain about tan pages I say wtf?

Seller should pay. It's all part of doing business. Even if your business is a once-a-week comic book sale.

Absolutely. When I used to sell on eBay, I stated in my TOS that I would refund shipping both ways, no questions asked. I figured, why alienate a potential repeat customer over a few bucks? In any event, buyers asked to return a book on way less than 1% of my sales.

I feel that in normal grading disputes, the buyer should pay return shipping.

In general, most people are unable to avoid the tendency to grade looser when they are selling and tighter when they are buying.

This way, in a grading dispute, both sides have a little skin in the game, as they both lose out in shipping costs.

This prevents a buyer with grading expectations way outside of the norm from becoming a severe problem.

For major grading issues that were an obvious seller mistake (undisclosed internal defect) I think the seller should pay.

In general I agree with this. I think it depends on the situation.

There is a tendency for people on these boards to think that the seller is totally responsible no matter what the situation, I think this smacks of a certain amount of entitlement on the part of buyers.

I agree with the above.

Just for the record, As a seller I rarely have returns and cheerfully refund/reimburse shipping if asked. Or without being asked if it is obvious I goofed. I package carefully regardless of why I'm shipping an item and purchase adequate insurance for the the contents against damages.

As a buyer I never ask for return shipping to be reimbursed and rarely ask for shipping I paid for the item to be shipped to me to be refunded. Here is my logic:

You go to Walmart and buy a TV. A week later the TV stops working. Walmart is 15 miles away and gas is $4.00 a gallon. You drive a Ford F-150. Do you expect Walmart to fork over $8 to cover your gas when you return the TV for a refund? Of course not. And if you did they'd politely say "no" and then laugh about you the rest of the day. If you demanded the $8 gas money and got loud and noisey they'd call the cops. You would then leave - and without the $8 gas money.

I don't see the difference in shipping costs. You pay shipping costs to get stuff delivered to you or sent back. You pay driving costs to go buy something at a brick and mortar store and/or take something back.

Just my thoughts.

Seller is responsible.Now I'm going to give you the best advice you can get.Only purchase comics from board members or board members Ebay stores,this way you won't get F-ed.You've made some noob mistakes,but now you're here.Take advantage of the best comics message board on the internet.Just my 2c

Oh and Welcome to the Boards. (thumbs u

Buying from boardies is no guarantee of a positive experience. The probation list is littered with negative outcomes. Far better odds than ebay but not perfect.

I agree with the above.

Just for the record, As a seller I rarely have returns and cheerfully refund/reimburse shipping if asked. Or without being asked if it is obvious I goofed. I package carefully regardless of why I'm shipping an item and purchase adequate insurance for the the contents against damages.

As a buyer I never ask for return shipping to be reimbursed and rarely ask for shipping I paid for the item to be shipped to me to be refunded. Here is my logic:

You go to Walmart and buy a TV. A week later the TV stops working. Walmart is 15 miles away and gas is $4.00 a gallon. You drive a Ford F-150. Do you expect Walmart to fork over $8 to cover your gas when you return the TV for a refund? Of course not. And if you did they'd politely say "no" and then laugh about you the rest of the day. If you demanded the $8 gas money and got loud and noisey they'd call the cops. You would then leave - and without the $8 gas money.

I don't see the difference in shipping costs. You pay shipping costs to get stuff delivered to you or sent back. You pay driving costs to go buy something at a brick and mortar store and/or take something back.

Just my thoughts.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But, what if you purchased a large item online like a Harley-Davidson? What they sent you was a Honda. You gonna be fine w/ shipping that back w/o getting reimbursed?

Or another scenario....what if you go buy fast food, get home, and it is totally wrong (yes, I know you should check before going home). You drive back to get the correct order. When this happens to me, which is very infrequent, I usually get a free meal for my hassle.

Back to shipping, I do see what you are saying, but, lets face it, purchases that are shipped have different expectations by most than purchases made at a local business in person.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But, what if you purchased a large item online like a Harley-Davidson? What they sent you was a Honda. You gonna be fine w/ shipping that back w/o getting reimbursed?

No, but that's why you don't act flighty and get the details of the deal before you commit.

Just my thoughts.

Or another scenario....what if you go buy fast food, get home, and it is totally wrong (yes, I know you should check before going home). You drive back to get the correct order. When this happens to me, which is very infrequent, I usually get a free meal for my hassle.

Back to shipping, I do see what you are saying, but, lets face it, purchases that are shipped have different expectations by most than purchases made at a local business in person.

Yes - and I understand what you are saying. The fast food analogy is an excellent one to support seller "makes it right".

Bottom line for me is that as a seller I will do as asked because that is good business. Not worth running off a customer over $10. As a buyer, I don't expect it.