• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Turnout time

171 posts in this topic

Yes, as they mentioned, no need to be a member to submit. I've submitted a few books over the years & have never been a member.

How did you do this exactly? Before I paid to become a member, I wasn't able to access the order form because I didn't have a paid member login. One can say you could just have an order form printed from a friend, but they each have a unique invoice# from the minute you print it out, wouldn't think that would work.

You also get access to the registry and census.

And as far as the census and registry, neither of those are worth $40 to me. Not trying to be rude, but they're just not.

You can access the census without being a paid member anyway, and even if you couldn't, you could still access Greg Holland's site, which IMO is way better and more cleaner and easier to navigate than CGC's own census. Plus his is updated the same day, as CGCs.

Sorry, just a little perturbed that I (what seemingly) spent $40 for nothing...

Granted been almost a year since I last signed up.Needless to say spent money to rejoin the site so I could submit myself!

You don't need to join the Collectors' Society to submit comics yourself. Anyone off the street can submit their books to CGC for free.

(And don't forget the free 10% discount, available to anyone at no charge).

So why did I spend $40 to become a member?

by being a member, you can check the status of the books online, otherwise, you would have to call CGC to find out the status of your books.

I spent $40 so I can submit books to CGC directly on my own, not to track the status...

If you can in fact submit books directly to CGC now without having to be a paid member, I won't be renewing next year.

You've been able to do that for years.

Here's the direct submission link from Superworlds site, for instance - you get 10% off the submission fees and send your books directly to CGC as usual:

http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?GradingCompany=CGC&affiliate=SW

Yes, as they mentioned, no need to be a member to submit. I've submitted a few books over the years & have never been a member.

Please point to the website where it says you can submit without being a collector society member or through a dealer/partner. The link to download the submission form says you must be a PAID member.

If it is not on the website please explain - for the benefit of others - exactly how you submitted books directly to CGC without being a member

Granted been almost a year since I last signed up.Needless to say spent money to rejoin the site so I could submit myself!

You don't need to join the Collectors' Society to submit comics yourself. Anyone off the street can submit their books to CGC for free.

by being a member, you can check the status of the books online, otherwise, you would have to call CGC to find out the status of your books.

I spent $40 so I can submit books to CGC directly on my own, not to track the status...

If you can in fact submit books directly to CGC now without having to be a paid member, I won't be renewing next year.

Here's the direct submission link from Superworlds site, for instance - you get 10% off the submission fees and send your books directly to CGC as usual:

OK. Effectively what you say is true - but technically it is not. You are not submitting to CGC directly. You are submitting through an internet partner that happens to offer a 10% discount. In this case you are submitting the book under Superworld's account. You may feel like you are submitting directly since you are shipping to CGC. But the invoice is in Superworld's name and CGC would not accept the submission if the invoice was in your name - unless you had a collector society membership.

OK. Effectively what you say is true - but technically it is not. You are not submitting to CGC directly. You are submitting through an internet partner that happens to offer a 10% discount. In this case you are submitting the book under Superworld's account. You may feel like you are submitting directly since you are shipping to CGC. But the invoice is in Superworld's name and CGC would not accept the submission if the invoice was in your name - unless you had a collector society membership.

The OP spent $40 so he can submit directly to CGC - do you think he cares that "technically" it's an invoice that passes through Superworld?

The invoice ends up having all your info (including your name) on it. You retain the invoice number, so you can easily call CGC and check on the status. And CGC ships the books directly to you.

G

The OP spent $40 so he can submit directly to CGC - do you think he cares that "technically" it's an invoice that passes through Superworld?

The invoice ends up having all your info (including your name) on it. You retain the invoice number, so you can easily call CGC and check on the status. And CGC ships the books directly to you.

I don't know if the OP cares about the technicality. Perhaps he will post up and say sometime soon.

You are not submitting directly. You are submitting through a CGC internet partner.You do point out an excellent way to submit to CGC without paying any membership fees. For reminding everyone here that option exists you deserve a :headbang: Thank you.

The main difference seems to be that a member can submit an invoice themselves and therefore track its progress on the web. A non-member subbing through someone else (Superworld in this case) would have to call CGC, thus adding a little bit of hassle. So if being able to see on the web that your books are sitting at "verified" for months on end is worth $40 over having to call CGC to find out the books are still sitting at "verified", then there you go.

I get the membership for the coupon, and that is a great value if you have the books to sub. Anything I do beyond the coupon is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Personally I would not pay the $40 for that tier of membership, but that is me.

The main difference seems to be that a member can submit an invoice themselves and therefore track its progress on the web. A non-member subbing through someone else (Superworld in this case) would have to call CGC, thus adding a little bit of hassle. So if being able to see on the web that your books are sitting at "verified" for months on end is worth $40 over having to call CGC to find out the books are still sitting at "verified", then there you go.

I get the membership for the coupon, and that is a great value if you have the books to sub. Anything I do beyond the coupon is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Personally I would not pay the $40 for that tier of membership, but that is me.

Stating it another way. IF you have books you will want to get graded joining the premium service ($125) - which comes with four CS coupons worth $216 (taking into account a 10% discount) is the same as CGC paying you $91 to join the CGC collector Society....

Well I'll be damned.

Yes, Mike is right, I'd be fine with this, and calling cgc for updates. Yes, mashing F5 every 39 seconds waiting for those grades to appear is nice and adds to the experience and anticipation of waiying for your grades, its still not worth $40 to me, id rather spend that towards more comics or submissions :)

Thanks for this!

You also get access to the registry and census.

The registry and the census are free for anyone to use, you do NOT have to pay a membership fee to use these.

My 9/18/2012 fast-track modern invoice was encapsulated today, but hasn't shipped yet.

Yup, I modern fast-tracked 4 books, they got invoiced on 9/14, currently been sitting in "graded" status since Thursday.

I think this is the first time fast-track is actually behind :(

The ability to fast track in a tier should be the one thing that CGC drops from their services. It is obvious if they are that far behind in grading modern, value, and economy in their regular services then they need to drop fast track so they can get caught up. My modern submissions have been with the CGC since May 28th. It is guys like you that ruin it for the rest of us sending submissions by cutting in line.

Oh let's stop the "fast pass" at the theme parks to, people that are willing to spend more money to get a product or service faster then me shouldn't be able to!!! I really do hope they come down on turn-around times, if there is this high of demand then there should be "talented" people ready to be trained and hired to lower the work load. Keep up the good job CGC, best grading company!

My Heroes books (invoice date 6/27) shipped out on 10/21. These were modern Signature Series.

Oh let's stop the "fast pass" at the theme parks to, people that are willing to spend more money to get a product or service faster then me shouldn't be able to!!! I really do hope they come down on turn-around times, if there is this high of demand then there should be "talented" people ready to be trained and hired to lower the work load. Keep up the good job CGC, best grading company!

Here's the difference: You don't "get it faster" at theme parks. You wait, you just don't wait in line. . . you're free to do other things. If it is 10 am, you sign up for a time, say 1 pm, and ride other rides instead of waiting those 3 hours in line and riding nothing else. For this to be comparable, you would send your book in, and they'd guarantee the book is graded on a specific day (or even week) at a time in the future close to the same time as what those who didn't pay for the service are waiting (maybe slightly faster). The difference? You KNOW what day your book is graded on.

Here's the difference: You don't "get it faster" at theme parks. You wait, you just don't wait in line. . . you're free to do other things. If it is 10 am, you sign up for a time, say 1 pm, and ride other rides instead of waiting those 3 hours in line and riding nothing else. For this to be comparable, you would send your book in, and they'd guarantee the book is graded on a specific day (or even week) at a time in the future close to the same time as what those who didn't pay for the service are waiting (maybe slightly faster). The difference? You KNOW what day your book is graded on.

Well that's wrong. There are passes at most theme parks that allow you to jump to the head of the line. It's just like Fast Track for your grading... with less screaming and vomit.

Well that's wrong. There are passes at most theme parks that allow you to jump to the head of the line. It's just like Fast Track for your grading... with less screaming and vomit.

The difference is your told a turnaround time at a convention 45 business days for a modern with how far backed up they are. The consumer tells themselves that is not too bad I can wait 45 business days to get their comics back. The comics were taken from the consumer's hands over the convention weekend. The consumer would expect the comics to say they were recieved by CGC that Monday the first business day after the convention, but CGC does not enter them into their system til the end of the 8th business day from when they actually received them. In my case I submitted mine directly to CGC during Phoenix Comicon. The first business day after the convention would of been May 28th and that is when CGC should of entered them into their system. Instead the comics wait til June 6th the end of the 8th business day to be entered to be entered. I still have not received my modern submissions back yet. They have had my comics in their hands for 107 business days when I was told it would be 45. In their minds they have had my comics for 99 business days. Either way more than twice the amount of time than their current turnaround time that I was quoted. Everybody else getting screwed because they are going off dates their sites list or their employees tell people is the current turnaround time and it is not even close to what was said. Fast track just delays the other turnarounds when they get pushed ahead of the line to be graded ahead of comics they can't keep up on. The other problem is people are seeing these turnaround times and saying lets get it fast tracked at the cons so more and more fast tracks come in pushing the turnaround time back further for moderns, economy, and value that are not fast track. Its obvious CGC needs to suspend fast track until they can get caught up. It is also obvious they could probably do with a second facility say on the west coast with more graders to grade comics than just their Florida facility so they have more graders that can work for them.