• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Turnout time

171 posts in this topic

They get lots of submissions now at each show. SS being the group with the fastest growth. They were swamped at the Baltimore show as well.

As much as I hope it happens, I don't see CGC making a large dent in the TAT's before the whole convention cycle start up again for calendar year 2013.

and an ebay search of "cgc ss" brings up 2000+ results. I have noticed there seems to be alot of ss books everywhere now. not really my cup of tea though...

The $10 fast track to any tier to me is solely for the purpose of resell or flipping the book while it is hot. That's the reason I used fast track, I don't see any other reasonings behind fast track.

If a book is just going to your collection/registry, 5-6 months waiting is no matter to me. You still get them back eventually, knowing the grade now or later is the same. Depend on how many books you submit and your comic book fund, $10/book is a lot for modern books (my focus), consider if you submit 50 or over, that is $500 EXTRA that you can use for other submission/raw books or $100/month. Why give $100 extra per month to CGC, that is an expensive subscription, I rather use that $100 to buy more books. I am not here to convince anyone to stop using fast track, it is just me convincing myself what tier should I use when submitting books for grading.

Got my fast track books back from Baltimore today, but still haven't gotten my non-fast track books from Wizard Philly back. That shows what a difference the fast track makes.

Should have done them onsite at WW Philly :makepoint:

Sent it 2 books into CGC on march 10th/11th, still do not have books in hand. :frustrated:

Modern tier (Obviously not fast tracked)

You should call them. Something wrong somewhere. They can be slow, but I think this would set a record.

The $10 fast track to any tier to me is solely for the purpose of resell or flipping the book while it is hot. That's the reason I used fast track, I don't see any other reasonings behind fast track.

If a book is just going to your collection/registry, 5-6 months waiting is no matter to me. You still get them back eventually, knowing the grade now or later is the same. Depend on how many books you submit and your comic book fund, $10/book is a lot for modern books (my focus), consider if you submit 50 or over, that is $500 EXTRA that you can use for other submission/raw books or $100/month. Why give $100 extra per month to CGC, that is an expensive subscription, I rather use that $100 to buy more books. I am not here to convince anyone to stop using fast track, it is just me convincing myself what tier should I use when submitting books for grading.

We should all have your patience. I do fast track for sure if the book is to be resold - I can't have it just sit in someone else's inventory for so long.

For books for myself I'd like to skip FT - but it pains me to wait so long on the grade. If they would grade it within a month and wait four months to ship it that'd actually be OK. I would know what I was getting.

FT adds enough to the expense that I just don't send less expensive books that I would otherwise send.

Current timeframe update: FT Value received by CGC 8/30 just graded today (10/2)

Considering the holiday and shows, that is about 20 dayst. I would not be surprised to see it take another 4-5 business days to ship though - which would have the TTA a little outside 20.

My 9/18/2012 fast-track modern invoice was encapsulated today, but hasn't shipped yet.

Yup, I modern fast-tracked 4 books, they got invoiced on 9/14, currently been sitting in "graded" status since Thursday.

I think this is the first time fast-track is actually behind :(

The ability to fast track in a tier should be the one thing that CGC drops from their services. It is obvious if they are that far behind in grading modern, value, and economy in their regular services then they need to drop fast track so they can get caught up. My modern submissions have been with the CGC since May 28th. It is guys like you that ruin it for the rest of us sending submissions by cutting in line.

Let me guess - you don't want the USPS to offer priority or express mail service either, right?

Not the greatest analogy. What if USPS started taking three weeks to deliver a first class letter? But kept it at 2-3 days for Priority? You might feel the USPS was herding you towards priority. Collectors wouldn't be complaining so much about FT if the regular TAT's were what they used to be. The problem is that TAT are 3x longer than they used to be for their regular service.

That said, if I'm not willing to FT it doesn't get sent to CGC. Nor do I share the "cutting in line" viewpoint. There are COUNTLESS examples where more $$ gets faster service. Passports. Amusement parks. Airlines

In racing a popular saying is "Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?" Guess that now applies here too.

My 9/18/2012 fast-track modern invoice was encapsulated today, but hasn't shipped yet.

Yup, I modern fast-tracked 4 books, they got invoiced on 9/14, currently been sitting in "graded" status since Thursday.

I think this is the first time fast-track is actually behind :(

The ability to fast track in a tier should be the one thing that CGC drops from their services. It is obvious if they are that far behind in grading modern, value, and economy in their regular services then they need to drop fast track so they can get caught up. My modern submissions have been with the CGC since May 28th. It is guys like you that ruin it for the rest of us sending submissions by cutting in line.

Let me guess - you don't want the USPS to offer priority or express mail service either, right?

Not the greatest analogy. What if USPS started taking three weeks to deliver a first class letter? But kept it at 2-3 days for Priority? You might feel the USPS was herding you towards priority. Collectors wouldn't be complaining so much about FT if the regular TAT's were what they used to be. The problem is that TAT are 3x longer than they used to be for their regular service.

That's not the point, though.

CGC, like so many other service provides, have different levels of service - some are cheap & slow, some are pricey & fast. Nobody is forcing you to use fast-track if you don't want to - just like nobody is forcing you to send books to CGC in the first place.

Yes, it sucks that the TAT's on the cheaper tiers are much longer than they used to be, but it's not like CGC is hiding this. CGC provides you, the consumer, with enough information that you yourself can decide whether it's worth it to spend the extra $$ for a higher level of service.

The fact that the other Michael wants to somehow abolish the ability to pay extra for fast service is ridiculous in the extreme - we all have the same option to take advantage of this service; that he doesn't want to do so is his own problem.

The fact that the other Michael wants to somehow abolish the ability to pay extra for fast service is ridiculous in the extreme - we all have the same option to take advantage of this service; that he doesn't want to do so is his own problem.

I agree.

I try to make it a point to take a picture of the book before it is whisked away. Don't always have that option or time though. I do check the invoice number weekly though on the certification website though after the 2 month mark.

I agree.

The fact Fast Track should be abolished until the TAT are caught back up with where they are suppose is not ridiculous. Until they can meet with demand Fast Track should not be offered. It is not like the post office to where they only fall behind for half a month out of the year and have the setup to get caught back on track. The CGC doesn't have the setup to get caught back up. I would have no problem with Fast Track if they got caught back up and could handle demand.

I agree.

The fact Fast Track should be abolished until the TAT are caught back up with where they are suppose is not ridiculous. Until they can meet with demand Fast Track should not be offered. It is not like the post office to where they only fall behind for half a month out of the year and have the setup to get caught back on track. The CGC doesn't have the setup to get caught back up. I would have no problem with Fast Track if they got caught back up and could handle demand.

I have to agree with mschmidt.

CGC is in business to make a profit, not to set up a charity. As unfortunate as it is for those waiting on submissions, that is the reality of the situation.

I agree.

I don't care for the work ridiculous as it is a bit harsh. It is naive, it is unreasonable to think that CGC ought to stop offering FT services until they get caught up. One could just as easily argue that the FT services are needed more than ever when the TAT times on the least expensive tiers get so much longer than the past. Dealers need their stock back sooner in order to resell and a lot of them were FT'ing their books even before the extended TAT.

In a fashion, the long TAT's have served some good - at least for me. I think much harder about alternatives, I simply don't send some books where the cost/benefit ratio of slabbing by CGC isn't that great. It's the more expensive stuff (over $300 - more like over $500) I focus on for CGC. At that point there is no FT because the regular service is relatively quick and on time. I know getting books of that value graded and encapsulated pays off.

It's mostly my customers that want lower value books CGC graded. And they mostly don't want to wait. And it's their money.

Got my fast track books back from Baltimore today, but still haven't gotten my non-fast track books from Wizard Philly back. That shows what a difference the fast track makes.

Should have done them onsite at WW Philly :makepoint:

Obviously, I would have done on-site if I could have. I had a few books done on-site, but halfway through Saturday they stopped on-site, so some of my SS books couldn't get done.

Not so concerned with my last two submissions in August! 60 modern books in non fast tract! Granted been almost a year since I last signed up.Needless to say spent money to rejoin the site so I could submit myself! A little dissapointed to hear that the so called 20 day turnaround mark for moderns is close to four or more months! Not upset, but yeah it's misleading to say the least!

Yes, it sucks that the TAT's on the cheaper tiers are much longer than they used to be, but it's not like CGC is hiding this. CGC provides you, the consumer, with enough information that you yourself can decide whether it's worth it to spend the extra $$ for a higher level of service.

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not entirely accurate. While I have no doubt that CGC is making a good faith effort to keep customers informed, the information that you get is outdated. For example, if you submitted moderb books in June, you probably looked at turnaround times and said "it looks like my books will be done in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I can live with that." Then, turnaround times grow after you've submitted. Similarly, people who submit moderns at NYCC may not have to wait 70+ business days as the con season slows and, hopefully, CGC catches up. It's very difficult to make informed decisions when the forecasts are changing radically in somewhat short periods of time. Yes, you can kind of guess when turnaround times will grow based on the show calendar, but I don't think that most people, including myself, can accurately forecast how that will affect the actual turnaround time when they submit their books.

I agree.

"The CGC"? hm

I agree.

"The CGC"? hm

Sort of like "The Batman". Or "The Donald" They are just that big....

I agree.

"The CGC"? hm

There was one banned board member in particular who always wrote "the CGC" hm

I agree.

"The CGC"? hm

There was one banned board member in particular who always wrote "the CGC" hm

That's weird. Couldn't be Michael Fett though. Michael's been a member since 05/2012! Even though he's a "new" board member, and his knowledge on CGC is quite vast, it's just too delusional to think it would be him!