• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I remember at $600 people said it was a fad!

They just don`t get it. This is this generations Incredible Hulk #181 and TMNT #1.

Except those comics represent the first appearances of characters that have fan followings. Walking Dead is more about the overall story than any character. This is why it doesn't make sense to hoard 1st apps of Michonne or whoever, there will not be Michonne cereal and lunchboxes and cartoons. She could be a thing of the past any month, and unlike Wolverine, she won't be coming back once it happens. I expect the characters to age and die and I do not expect retcons bringing them back to the dead or putting them back in high school.When characters are disposable like that I don't expect them to have a Superman legacy. I think Walking Dead is more comparable to Cerebus than any super hero comic, and how much are you willing to pay for the first appearance of Lord Julius?

Spoilers? :(

That's what I thought. I read it in TPB format and there was one that I hadn't made it to yet! :tonofbricks:

I do agree with the majority of his post though. Wish there had been spoiler tags.

Oops, sorry doh!

I'll go back and edit the post if you all are willing to edit your quotes of it :foryou:

You cannot undo what you have spoiled. :baiting:

Seriously though, it wold be good for others if you did. I had removed them already on my post.

You just love to stir the pot, don't you? :baiting:

Now would you please shush, bringing attention to it...I'd like to snag about another hundred copies before it's a $2,500 book in November. :cloud9:

JJ

Edited by cgcworld

They just don`t get it. This is this generations Incredible Hulk #181 and TMNT #1.

Except those comics represent the first appearances of characters that have fan followings. Walking Dead is more about the overall story than any character. I think Walking Dead is more comparable to Cerebus than any super hero comic, and how much are you willing to pay for the first appearance of Lord Julius?

The difference I see in Cerebus and Walking Dead is not many non-comic book fans will ever hear about Cerebus. So I really wouldn`t compare the two franchises.

Dave Sim had many chances to merchandise his great creation,but he refused.

So we won`t be seeing a Cerebus move,animated series or video game anytime soon.

I understand what your saying about the Walking Dead that is more about characters than just one major one,but so is the concept of the X-men.

Really the Walking Dead was the perfect storm,as Marvel and DC haven`t created any iconic characters in the last twenty years in their respective universes. People wanted a little something different than confused multipart crossovers in the DC and Marvel modern universes.Kirkman`s Walking Dead snuck in and stole the show.

Nobody expected this,just like how TMNT came out of nowhere in the 1980s.

IMHO.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Except those comics represent the first appearances of characters that have fan followings. Walking Dead is more about the overall story than any character. I think Walking Dead is more comparable to Cerebus than any super hero comic, and how much are you willing to pay for the first appearance of Lord Julius?

The difference I see in Cerebus and Walking Dead is not many non-comic book fans will ever hear about Cerebus. So I really wouldn`t compare the two franchises.

So we won`t be seeing a Cerebus move,animated series or video game anytime soon.

I understand what your saying about the Walking Dead that is more about characters than just one major one,but so is the concept of the X-men.

Really the Walking Dead was the perfect storm,as Marvel and DC haven`t created any iconic characters in the last twenty years in their respective universes. People wanted a little something different than confused multipart crossovers in the DC and Marvel modern universes.Kirkman`s Walking Dead snuck in and stole the show.

IMHO.

Will this kind of attention toward TWD mean the big TWO might start putting out funnybooks with ordinary human beings in extrordinary situations? The evolution of the hero archetype in the Modern Age.

Ratings are huge, and continue to be huge. Once the ratings fall off for the show I expect the back issue prices to be more reasonable. I've read the series since #60 in single issues and in trade prior to that. I'm enjoying it, but it's def not the first book I read in my stack of comics every month.

That's pretty cool...never bid the same but always an odd amount of cents.

Jim

Jim

Yep...learned that one the hard way :cry:

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Why? To flip it of course!

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

If that doesn't say speculator hype to anyone here, nothing will.

BTW, to answer a PM, I am only 35, nowhere near 50!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

How can I be missing the point? My answer was pretty clear.

There are people who think they can still profit because they feel the franchise has not peaked yet.

I don't think that today's prices are going to be sustained long term, but to pronounce judgement on other's choices of "investment", is not my cup of tea.

By stating this, you seem to be 'missing my point.' Someone has to be left holding the bag. In a speculative bubble everyone ASSUMES that the price will go higher and higher until finally...common sense prevails and prices fall.

If kept for the short term, this is a no different than 'flipping.' Therefore one could make a fairly good argument that for those individuals who wish to engage in this; this is NOT an 'investment', but nothing more than a commodity.

Real estate, gold, no different. I wish the speculators the best of luck. Unfortunately, as stated (and history tells us this); most will lose.

'mint'

"This is this generations Incredible Hulk #181 and TMNT #1."

Please rethink this. This book was published twelve years ago. There are no guarantees.

TMNT is NOT comparable to this book and Hulk #181 dropped tremendously in the last few years at BOTH 9.8 and 9.6 levels.

I am by no means saying prices cannot rise short term; however long term this book should be monitored extyremely closely if it is going into anyone's collection AND being called an 'investment.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

IMHO.

Will this kind of attention toward TWD mean the big TWO might start putting out funnybooks with ordinary human beings in extrordinary situations? The evolution of the hero archetype in the Modern Age.
Well, they already do with The Punisher and a handful of other characters, but I don't see Marvel doing a whole lot of comics without spandex clad musclemen.

Jim

Yep...learned that one the hard way :cry:

Me too. I actually thought I won the auction. I also lost by a penny when trying to snipe before. Now all my bids end somewhere in the 60 cents bracket

I always thought collectors should be saving up for or spending on the intial TWD treatment by Kirkman/Moore called "Dead Planet". It's a kinda TWD prototype set in space. Not 9.8 1's. That's the holy grail of TWD and if you don't know what it is until now, then you aren't a TWD collector. I wonder what one would go for? hm

I always thought collectors should be saving up for or spending on the intial TWD treatment by Kirkman/Moore called "Dead Planet". It's a kinda TWD prototype set in space. Not 9.8 1's. That's the holy grail of TWD and if you don't know what it is until now, then you aren't a TWD collector. I wonder what one would go for? hm

(tsk)

:roflmao:

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Why? To flip it of course!

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

If that doesn't say speculator hype to anyone here, nothing will.

BTW, to answer a PM, I am only 35, nowhere near 50!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

How can I be missing the point? My answer was pretty clear.

There are people who think they can still profit because they feel the franchise has not peaked yet.

I don't think that today's prices are going to be sustained long term, but to pronounce judgement on other's choices of "investment", is not my cup of tea.

By stating this, you seem to be 'missing my point.' Someone has to be left holding the bag. In a speculative bubble everyone ASSUMES that the price will go higher and higher until finally...common sense prevails and prices fall.

If kept for the short term, this is a no different than 'flipping.' Therefore one could make a fairly good argument that for those individuals who wish to engage in this; this is NOT an 'investment', but nothing more than a commodity.

Real estate, gold, no different. I wish the speculators the best of luck. Unfortunately, as stated (and history tells us this); most will lose.

'mint'

No, your point is quite elementary. (Please no more speculative bubble explanations again)

My point is also quite elementary: There are people with differing opinions than yours.